The Wait is Over: AMCC 2

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orielensis, Oct 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Received my 2 coins already, super fast shipping, thanks @Severus Alexander!

One of the coins I got is a hemidrachm from Megara, the other coin I will leave for a nice write up :)

[​IMG]
    Achaia, Achaian League. Megara. AR Triobol – Hemidrachm (Circa 175-168 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Reverse: Monogram of the Achaian League; H to left, kithara above, PO to right; all within laurel wreath.
    Reference: BCD Peloponnesos 27.3; Benner 5.

It will fit perfectly with my other two Achaian League coins:

[​IMG]
    Achaia, Achaian League. Aigeira. AR Triobol – Hemidrachm (Circa 160-146 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Zeus Amarios right.
    Reverse: The Achaean monogram; above, forepart of goat right, Y Π to left; all within wreath of bay.
    Reference: Benner S. 40, 5; HGC 5, 20; Slg. BCD Peloponnesos 399.

[​IMG]
    Achaia, Achaian League. Antigoneia (Mantinea). AR Triobol – Hemidrachm (Circa 188-180 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Reverse: Achaian League monogram; above, forepart of goat right; A-N across field, CΩ below; all within wreath.
    Reference: Benner 5; BCD Peloponnesos 1492.2; HGC 5, 926.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Haha - I appreciate the contribution and the coin. Thank you!

FitzNigel likes this.
  4. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Got mine in the mail today!

First, a cheapie impulse buy that I think went unnoticed

Wang Mang Buo Quan One Spade.jpg
    Wang Mang
    AE Cash, Bu Qian, "Spade-Coin"
    14-24 AD
    Much scarcer than the Huo Quan, ostensibly worth as much as one of his spare coins? Legend has it that these were kept as superstitious charms, as wearing one in one's clothing would help in the conception/birth of a male.
    (Ex @Sallent)

An upgrade for Divus Carus (these are tough to find in nice shape without breaking the banks)
    Divo Caro Divus Carus altar.jpg

A beautiful late Republican, Pompeius Rufus, 54 BC featuring two curule chairs
    ex @Orfew
    Pompeianus Rufus Sulla AR denarius curule chair.jpg

And my personal favorite, a beautiful upgrade for my Constantine as Caesar hole, from London!
    ex @TheRed
    Constantine as Caesar follis Lyon GENIO POP ROM.jpg

5. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Very Happy with my purchases that just arrived! Thanks ORFEW and Sev! Mede_England_HenryII_ARPenny_Tealby_AMCC1119.jpg RomRep_Brutus_ARDen_ACC1119.jpg

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Edessa and Severus Alexander like this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

The coin that @Pavlos is planning a writeup for, @Finn235's London Constantine, and @Edessa's Brutus were three of my favourite coins in the auction. Congrats, guys! (Looking forward to that writeup, Pavlos!)

Edessa and Pavlos like this.
  8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Mine arrived today too. Awesome! :shame:
    Thank you so much Severus Alexander !!

Pictures are from the auction. :shame:

Pseudo-autonomous issue.
    Ionia, Smyrna, c. 105-95 BC, issued under Hieronymos, son of Hieronymos
    21 mm, 8.72 g
    Ref.: SNG Copenhagen 1151ff var. (magistrate's name), from the JB (Edmonton) collection; BMC 246
    Ob.: Laureate head of Apollo right.
    Rev.: ΣΜΥΡΝΑΙΩΝ, the poet Homer seated left, clad in himation, holding scroll, magistrate's name in two lines to left ΙΕΡΩΝΥΜΟΣ ΙΕPΩΝΥΜΟΥ

upload_2019-11-21_23-0-33.png

and one from the unsold lots:

Roman Provincial, Cappadocia, Caesarea, dated RY 5 = 221/222 AD just before his assassination or possibly after, before the news arrived in the East. Fromthe Justin Lee collection

26.5 g, 10.99 mm
    Ref.: Sydenham, Caesarea 527 e-f; BMC 287 var (date); RPC VI, 6722

Ob.: AY K M AYPHΛI ANTωNEIN, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Countermark on right shoulder of bust, male head in circle, possibly Helios (Howgego 12).
    Rev.: MHTΡOΠ KAICAΡI, agalma of Mt. Argaeus upon altar with date: ЄT Є (RY 5 = 221/222 AD); on summit star

upload_2019-11-21_23-5-38.png

Edessa, Johndakerftw, Bing and 7 others like this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Those two were among the ones that interested me in this sale, very good purchases, both. Congrats to the winners

I still don't have my items though, but the pond is wide and the ships are slow. Waiting is part of the fun, isn't it ?
    Well some waiting is.....

Q

Edessa likes this.
  10. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Finally got around to working on my cataloging this past weekend and wanted to share just one of my AMCC 2 wins and a coin that quickly shot to the top of my favorite coin list:

Augustus RI-JC-001.jpg
    Augustus
    7 BC
    AE AS
    10.89g, 26mm
    RIC I 427, Sear 1686, BMC 214, Cohen 446
    Obv: CAESAR AVGVST PONT MAX TRIBVNIC POT, bare head right
    Rev: P LVRIVS AGRIPPA IIIVIR AAAFF, around large SC
    ex. JB Collection (tag notes "Purchased in Edmonton Fall 1996")

I don't know who JB is or if he is still on this earth but I'd like him/her to know that their coin has a forever home.

Thansk @Severus Alexander for an awesome auction.. looking forward to the next one.

Edit - just a quick note to say that I'm working on my photo editing skills and playing around with a few background erasing apps... the white dots are from the app deleting too much of the coin (I did some very minor retouch of very white spots)... I'll get it right eventually :)

11. Cucumbor

Hi CT folks,

I finally found time enough to take pictures of my AMCC2 wins. I'm humbled to have four of them coming from other CT members. Here they are, one ex @tenbobbit, three ex @Sallent roaches, and the last one IDK

0370-410.jpg

0300-8619.jpg
    0300-8659.jpg
    0300-8678.jpg

0300-8669.jpg

Q

12. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Last one is ex. Caesar_Augustus. :) Congratulations.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  13. Cucumbor

Oh !
    Great to know, thank you !

:) Q

14. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Pleased to see he has arrived at his new home, thankyou for taking him in Q :cool:
    I couldn't make my mind up between it being struck on the crappiest flan lying about the place or whether it was overheated, either way it made for an interesting piece.
    Thanks again.

Severus Alexander and Cucumbor like this.
  15. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I got this lovely fully silvered Severina. I'm sure it is an ex cointalk member because I recognize the VWQX monogram on the label. I've forgotten whose it is... It has a Ken Dorney tag too. 846616.jpg

Cucumbor, Bing, tenbobbit and 5 others like this.
  16. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Another ex. Caesar_Augustus, and may I add one of my first purchases ever. At that time, a few years ago, I did some research and found this coin on VCoins. Ended up contacting Ken about it and we had a discussion through email and I ended up buying it. Was very happy with it, as it was my only female portrait until my recent Galeria Valeria, and I loved Severina's hair doo. But, Alas, it was chosen to be sold as I refocus to late Roman Imperial coinage of the 1st tetrarchy and even later Roman Imperial coinage of the early Byzantine era.

[​IMG]

I'm really glad you are liking that coin. The VWQX monogram is a 4 letter code that helps me in cataloguing my collection. :) I spent some time making those flip inserts.

Cucumbor, Bing, tenbobbit and 4 others like this.
  17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I too was only just able to get some photos of my AMCC win (and I might need to work on getting better photos...) - thanks @zumbly!

Anc-10-R4-k0198-Caracalla-Macedon-AE24-Stobi-2472regvar1.jpg
    Provincial Rome - Macedon
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D.
    Stobi AE24, 23.9 mm x 5.82 grams
    Obv.: [...] ANTONINV, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: MVNICI STOB, Victory advancing left, holding palm frond and wreath
    Ex. Zumbly collection

18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks for adopting it! I recall it was tough to photograph, and you’ve done better than I ever managed with it. Sev did a really great job with the AMCC 2 pics. I’ve been more than happy to use his whenever necessary. :D

FitzNigel and Severus Alexander like this.
  19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Congrats on the nice provincial, Fitz! Unparalleled provenance. :D

Thanks, Z. I do my best, although obviously I can't spend the time on the very fine tuning we might do for coins in our own collections. But I should add that all winners are more than welcome to use my photos as they see fit!

This one did turn out pretty well, didn't it? :shame:

61.jpg

Cucumbor, FitzNigel, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted