The Wait is Over: AMCC 2

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orielensis, Oct 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I put in a few "strong" bids on coins of yours and was unsuccessful and I was a little sad about some of those... Does my "strong" mean cheap? I guess, as I didn't win...my youngest daughter always brings me down to earth: "spending money on money you can't spend? Why?"..... :)

Severus Alexander likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

So - just heard my proxy bid of $95 lost to a Live bid of $95... oh well it was just impossible to be there - but I tried (bid on 6) . Great auction, great coins and so well done by all involved. I was soo close to owning an ex-Orfew!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks so much to everyone for your enthusiastic participation, for consigning, for commenting here, and generally for making the auction a smashing success. I'm so very grateful!! It's sometimes a banality to say "I couldn't do it without you" but in this case it is so very true.

Here is what I came away with for my own collection. Some of these were targets, others were opportunities. (Most of my targets got away, but that made me even happier since they fetched good prices for my consignors.)

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 11.36.18 PM.jpg

Hey, after all that work I deserve to give myself a treat or two, right? :D

I'm very happy with all of these, partly because of their CoinTalk provenances (@Orfew, @dougsmit, @arnoldoe, @Orielensis, and @Sallent being among them). In future auctions, with the consignors' permission, I will be including a provenance on every CoinTalker coin. I've refrained from listing every single one before just because it doesn't really fit with the mold you see from other auction houses. But I've already stretched that mold to some extent, so why not break it? :D I think it was @Curtisimo who made me see the light on this when he commented in a pm on how much he valued knowing the provenance. And I do too. So... why not? Seems a no-brainer. Those uncool non-CoinTalkers can suck it up if they don't like it. :p

That said, AMCC 3 will be a while coming. Given the amount of time it takes and the fact that I do have an obstacle that prevents me from coining (aka a "day job") as well as a thriving family I expect I'll only be running one per year, in the fall. (For consignors who don't want to wait that long, I'll be happy to offer an advance.)

Meanwhile, you should all check out @Ken Dorney's awesome new auction, also on biddr, closing Nov. 29th: https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/dorney/browse?a=827 . He's got a new pricing model... everything starts super low at 10 or 20 USD, and it is going to ROCK! I'm already excited about bidding.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Ooops. Sorry man, I already emailed her about it, she asked me to keep tabs on you. :oops: But don't worry, she said she's getting you more coins for Christmas. :D

Apologies for this problem at the beginning. Turns out PayPal had mucked around with the interface with biddr in some way, but the wizards there got a workaround going in pretty short order. Wizards at biddr that is. The PayPal folks are definitely muggles. :shifty:

Yes, the Helbing coins were popular, and I can understand why! (As you can see above I picked one up myself.) Do you think I should charge the consignor extra for my research & writeup on those? He's a CoinTalker. :D

@Curtisimo gave a good explanation for this: the main Greek section was one of the weaker points in the auction, so there just weren't so many Greek collectors bidding. I bought a large lot of Greek bronze to try to beef up the Greek section, but... well, that didn't work so well. :oops: I need some good Greek silver consignments!

This story is so awesome, I love it!!

Nope, not a CoinTalker, you'll be glad to know. Why glad? It's from an estate that's being dispersed. :wideyed:

No reserves in the auction. As in @Clavdivs' case it was probably a back-and-forth where two bidders were vying for it. For others who may be less familiar: suppose you've put in a proxy bid for 40, and there's a live bid for 30. The software places your proxy bid for 35. Then the live bidder bids 40... and the software has nowhere to go and you lose the lot, basically just because it wasn't your turn at 40, but rather at 35.

Yup, this one is from a CoinTalker who has posted in this thread! I'm sure he'll be fine with revealing...

We will certainly endeavour to get it to you sooner than that!! Coins will start going out on Tuesday (due to the holiday on Monday) but I expect all paid lots will go out this week. Mrs. SA is a wonder at this.

Oooh, burn!! @Yorkshire, offend the goddess of CoinTalk Ancients Forum at your peril! :eek::D Probably safest to tamp it down a bit. I do really like that "Ancient Mt. Rushmore" look though. What about using a bunch of white space to make it smaller, like one of these?
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 8.56.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 8.58.06 PM.jpg
    (feel free to steal those images)

Actually, even the Chinese coins did well. Really the only weak spot was... Greek bronze. The big lot I purchased, in other words. :shifty::rolleyes:

OK, time for bed finally. I will sleep well tonight. Thanks again, all! Sorry if this was tl;dr. :D

Orielensis, Curtisimo, TheRed and 8 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I love knowing who owned my coins and if it comes from someone I know or have interacted with on CoinTalk, it makes it more special and I'm more likely to bid.

So, for anyone reluctant to have their name or screen name attached to the attribution... please reconsider :).

7. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

I won 4 coins

wins.jpg

Julian II Siliqua from the Harptree hoard found in 1887
    Cato Denarius
    Levon Tram
    + Celtic Philip II Tetradrachm

+ I also consigned about 15 coins (including the Helbing Coins) (I still have 10 that i kept)
    gordian III.jpg
    Now 3 of us in this thread have Gordian IIIs from Helbing.

8. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

I'll edit it when I'm home make it smaller, didn't realise how big it was :)

Severus Alexander, Theodosius and TIF like this.
  9. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Just for @TIF, you own 1 maybe 2 of the coins I consigned.
    Coin #1 Hadrian, Coin #2 unusual Alexandrian Tet ?
    I honestly didn't think my name was worthy of inclusion still being relatively new on here and I also don't post that often.
    As for provenance, unfortunately they were purchased privately in group lots many moons ago from a collector who was selling off his sundries.
    Sorry I can't add any more information.
    On the plus side :woot: some of my coins made your collection.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh, excellent! These were yours? I'll note that on the insert :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Here's my other win! Also from @TheRed's collection :)
    [​IMG]

12. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

I put in a single proxy-bid right before going to work yesterday evening. I was expecting my bid to be blown completely out of the water, but I was happily surprised with seeing it hammered for exactly my max when I returned home!

[​IMG]

SCOTLAND: John Balliol (1292-1296) AR penny. Berwick mint (?). Obv: +JOHANNES DEI GRA; bust in profile with sceptre Rev: + REX SCOTORVM; long cross pattée with four voided five-point mullets in quarters.

Super stoked to have won this! After a trip to Scotland earlier this year, I have become enamoured with its history and I naturally gravitated towards this incredibly interesting period. The fact that it is an ex @TheRed coin makes it even cooler! Thanks for a wonderful auction @Severus Alexander!

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

With graduation nearing, a student loan almost paid off, and a huge target in an upcoming auction, I could not afford to bid to my heart’s delight. However, this coin caught my eye and I bid to win. It is a type I have been wanting for a while now.

My consignments in this auction that sold would nearly cover the cost, so I am extremely happy. :)

0EBB3596-DEDA-4761-986B-3C5A1001838C.jpeg

L. Titurius L.f. Sabinus, 89 BCE, AR denarius. Rome, 3.87g, 17mm.
    Obv: SABIN A•PV; Bareheaded and bearded head right of the Sabine king Tatius; [palm frond below chin]
    Rev: L • TITVRI; The Abduction of the Sabine Women: Two soldiers facing one another, each carrying a Sabine woman in his arms.
    Crawford 344/1c; Sydenham 698b
    From the JB (Edmonton) collection.

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Because I was already outbid on most my proxybids before the auction had started, and because I couldn't pass it at 25 euros, I'm now the proud owner of an Herennius Etruscus tetradrachm :

[​IMG]

Then I was done, I had to go further on, to avoid paying shipping to Europe for just one coin, which would have almost doubled the hammer price.

Some of Sallent's roaches will now cross the pond. Don't worry my friend, they will be well treated, even by a french man :)

Q

15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Couldn't think of a finer place for some of my former roaches to end up. Now I know why all of my roaches sold when I expected that maybe 2 or 3 wouldn't sell. :)

The interesting thing is that I've sold off 14 or 15 roaches over the last year and I still have 5 in my personal collection. I guess I kind of went overboard with them in the first place, but the 5 that remain aren't going anywhere any time soon.

16. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

My day just keeps getting better, now @Cucumbor has 1 of my coins in his collection :cigar:
    I will wait until you receive and post it to comment but I have always liked it for being a little " different " from your average Tet.

17. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I won 2 of them and bid on all of them. In fact I wish I would have went a bit stronger on the others and tried harder to win all of them...

These are great coins. That now makes at least 4 ex arnoldoe coins in my collection.

Now if I could only tempt the great Isiusiisiuisii to make the move over to my collection ;)

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

NOOOOOoooooo!! I want that one :( .

Dibs dibs dibs :D

19. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I had 30 coins in this auction and all but 4 sold, which made my day. Seeing so many of the coins go to CT members is really nice.

There were 8 coins I was targeting in the auction and came away with 3. The win I'm most excited about is an Anglo-Gallic denier from Edward I after he became king of England. It came from the @Orfew collection.
    846710.l.jpg

20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

IMG_5680.JPG
    :D:p:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This is actually incredibly believable on both counts. She asked me to pass on names of dealers she could ask for help for Christmas presents. I could also see her asking you to keep tabs on me... :eek::eek::eek:

It's like my Halloween scare came late this year :D

Nice one Q. I picked up a Trebonianus Gallus. I didn't have a TG and this one looked like it would be a pleasant coin in-hand.

Was this one yours as well @tenbobbit ?
    846839.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted