The value of a name

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vegas Vic, Nov 3, 2014.

1. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Exceptional coin Vic, I am not sure the coin itself is not worth the premium, regardless of provenance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I wouldn't mind having an Eliasberg coin. I agree with Medoraman Vic. Premium likely came from the color! The Provenance was a bonus!

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I bought a few at the auction but have forgot what they were.

5. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

I hear where you are coming from but I really just liked the coin. This is one coin where the color is actually better in hand then pcgs photo. That's why I included my hand coin pic. If I have to pay extra sometimes to get what I really want right now I'm more comfortable paying a few extra hundred for a coin at a 17% markup that has age and history then buying a fresh mint product for a 2000% markup and watching the value plummet in three months.

And thanks. I appreciate the kind words. We all can agree to disagree on some topics and then agree to agree on others.

But keep this quiet, I bought the coin on eBay. Shush tell no one who thinks there are only bad deals on eBay. They might start bidding me up.

Ps. I forgot the premium was actually only 14.8% with my eBay bucks.

medoraman likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Nice buy. There are rare and interesting coins on Ebay still, it's just getting more and more crowded out by other stuff.

Btw, I do appreciate, like myself, the ability to disagree with someone on one topic, yet still agree and share our love of coins on another. We are all here for our hobby, and one disagreement should never ruin that. :)

Vegas Vic likes this.
  7. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I just tested this theory of the value of a name. I listed an Eliasberg 1844 Large Cent NGC F15 on ebay. It sold for $140 tonight. Without the pedigree, I would have received a fraction of that.
    I can't imagine what my Eliasberg 1857 Large Cent NGC VF25 would get if the lower grade one got that price.

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Still can't believe you had that dipped

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I don't have any Eliasberg coins. I'd like one and wouldn't mind paying A premium for the right coin like Vic's as to the 83 no cents not at that price. I'd buy it for $100 but that's about it. I got quite a few Newman coins several I paid a good premium for but primarily cause of the toning I got a bunch of w 57th coins it seems as stacks has an endless supply of them

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Buy the coin not the name or slab....well sometimes it's fun to find an unusual slab

Draft saved Draft deleted