The Value of a Coin Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by centsdimes, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I don't think you can go by the red or blue book accurately. The blue book is only wholesale pricing that dealers typically buy inventory at from other dealers. Maybe you, if you're willing to take that much of a hit. Selling anything is never easy. If you want quick and easy, than the dealer can do that for you but you shouldn't expect top dollar.

It's tough to say. You can look at something as simple as a slabbed, modern commemorative for example. I choose this because it likely will have the most "knowns" and least variables involved. Yet still, even on the same venue such as ebay, the price range for the same slabbed coin will vary widely over a month's time. All depends on who's looking at that time. So I'd say the value of everything is changing on a daily basis. At auction, you might hit a lucky day for one and an unlucky day for another.

I found out a couple weeks ago that Heritage has sold some stuff much cheaper than ebay. Even with their higher fees. But the problem is the coverage. I believe ebay appeals to more people and has more coverage. Many of the past auction deals I've found are after the fact. Every time I go to Heritage, I can't find one example of what I'm looking for. You would have to monitor it constantly to have the coin come up that you're waiting for and then wait a month for the auction to end.

When selling you've got to factor in shipping and all fees involved too which will take a good cut out of the profits. I still think it would be worth it to sell them yourself. I've seen many coins sell at or above NGC price guide. But typically, the higher the dollar amount, the more of a discount will be seen. For example, you can probably sell a $100 coin for about $100 while a $5000 coin you might have to let go for $4000, based on the guide. It all depends on how many buyers can afford what you're offering. At that time. A $5000 coin might be much harder to sell than a $100 coin and you'll lose much more in fees.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

My 2 cents

Red book & Blue book or price guides. have no meaning at times like the coin shown it came to the USA with my Great great grandfather.
    My family has been collecting coin 3 generation .there a lot of coins in this collection that no one but me could put a price on and some are priceless

Attached Files:

4. dave92029

dave92029 Member

Net proceeds to seller

I Bid on my first Heritage auction last night. My final Bid price was $65 for a PF70 ASE but my final cost was $92.60, I'm not familiar with the selling commissions but the net proceeds to the seller on this auction was a fraction of my total cost. :hail:

I feel like I got a good price compared to eBay, but the seller did much worse. I can't figure out why folks are selling modern coins via Heritage. Using Heritage for rare, hard to find coins, or liquidating an entire collection makes much more sense to me, but coins like ASE... eBay would probably net the seller a better result. :thumb:

I realize that currently eBay is not charging a listing fee but there are so many coins listed with a "Buy It Now" price that appears way too high. Almost like the seller actually believes that someone will pay the price listed in the NGC/PCGS Price Guides. ;)

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Sentimental value will often far exceed numismatic value...

6. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Don't forget to add S & H and than any state sales taxes that apply.

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If you like, Heritage will contact you if a coin is featured in an auction that's on you want list. You tell them the type year and minimum grade you want. There is no limit on the amount of coins you can list. Secondly, Heritage does not list individual coins for sellers unless that coin has a value greater than $1200. If you see individual coins under that value, they are part of a multiple coin consignment that was greater than $1200+. Usually these people are selling their whole collection including some of the marginal and less expensive pieces. These are then sold individually.

Draft saved Draft deleted