The unnamed Antiochus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David@PCC, Nov 11, 2020.

1. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Typically kings of the Seleucid line have epitaphs such as Nicator (victor) or Soter (saviour), but if you are king and don't live long enough, then such a name will not follow you. We'll start with the death of Seleucus IV Philopator in 175 BC. It is believed he was murdered by his minister Heliodorus. He had two sons by his wife Laodice. His oldest, Demetrius went to Rome as a hostage. This was the the price to pay for losing to Rome during the reign of Antiochus III and signed into the treaty of Apamea. He replaces his uncle Antiochus per the agreement.
    With no heir on the throne, Seleucus's youngest son also named Antiochus, believed to be 5 years old at the time becomes ruler of one of the largest kingdoms in the ancient world. Initially he is seen on gold Oktadrachms along side his mother, most likely to enforce the idea that he is the next ruler. At a later point silver coins are minted with his image showing a boy approximately age 5 from 3 different mints with the inscription ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY.
    At the same time Antiochus IV is released from Rome and returns to Syria. Being the son of Antiochus III, he has ambitions to be king. Only problem is Demetrius the older son of Seleucus IV is the legitimate heir. You can see where this is going. Either because he is too young or the dealings of Antiochus IV, he becomes co-ruler with the young king while Demetrius is still a hostage. It is unclear when or how, but the young king was assassinated before his tenth birthday. It is widely believed Antiochus IV was responsible. As far as when, possiby after his son Antiochus V was born around 172 BC, but certainly by 170 BC when we see coins with Antiochus IV Epiphanes appear. If it wasn't for numismatic evidence history may have been unaware of this short lived young king.

g344.jpg
    Antiochus Son of Seleucus IV
    Mint: Tarsus
    AR Drachm
    October/November 175 BC
    Obvs: Diademed head of the child Antiochus right, dotted border.
    Revs: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ on right ANTIOXOY on left, Apollo seated left on omphalos testing arrow and resting hand on grounded bow with grip marked by 3 pellets. ΣA outer left, ΠA monogram outer right. Club lower left field.
    17mm, 4.12g
    Ref: SC 1367; HGC 9, 611(R3)

References will date these to a few months in 175 BC, but it's certainly possible these could have been minted from 175 to the early 170's especially for Antioch which had a greater output. This coin is possibly the second known with the last being sold at Glendining in December 1974. This particular coin is also important because it shows the link to other magistrates with the ΠA monogram. Something not known and off flan on the other example. This coin also suffers from a severe die shift on the reverse obliterating details on Apollo.

Please post your related examples from this sorted tale of Antiochus IV, Seleucus IV, Laodice, Demetrius I.

PlanoSteve, PeteB, tenbobbit and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write-up !
    Can just show another young Antiochus drachm, which i think i showed before:
    Antiochus500w.jpg

Edessa, PeteB, David@PCC and 6 others like this.
  4. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

What a great rarity David, congratulations on your addition. Since I probably won't get a silver of him I will try to get the bronze coin with the portrait of his mother (if that bronze coin is actually considered to be minted under Antiochos, son of Seleukos IV.

[​IMG]
    Seleukos IV Philopator (187-175 B.C.) Serrate AE, Denomination A. Antioch mint, struck ca. 187-175 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Apollo right.
    Reverse: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ ("of King Seleukos"). Apollo standing left, holding arrow, leaning on tripod; monogram to inner left.
    Reference: HGC 9, 584; SC 1315.
    9.32g; 22mm

[​IMG]
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes (175-164 B.C.) AE Denomination B. Hierapolis Bambyce mint, struck ca. 168-164 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Radiate, diademed head of Antiochos IV right.
    Reverse: IEPOΠOΛITΩN. Hadad (or Zeus) standing right, head left, holding wreath.
    Reference: SC 1432.5.
    6.96g; 20mm

[​IMG]
    Demetrios I Soter (162-150 B.C.) AE Denomination A. uncertain mint "83", possibly in Cilicia or somewhere in northern Syria. Struck ca. 155-150 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Head of a lion with open jaws to left.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΥ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ Head of a boar to right; behind, monogram.
    Reference: CSE 2, 415. HGC 9, 823. SC 1660.a.
    14.79g; 25mm

Edessa, PeteB, Alegandron and 6 others like this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's a nice Antiochus II with Antiochus I on the obverse. With your permission I would like to add your image to my site. http://allcoinage.com/rc_mg0698_0.php

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, @David@PCC , VERY nice coin! Cool bit of history...

I only have a Demetrios I

upload_2020-11-12_9-46-32.png
    Seleukid Demetrios I Soter 162-150 BCE AE 17 serrate 16.8mm 3.9g Antioch on Orontes mint Horse Hd L - Elephant Hd R- SC 1646 SNG Spaer 1299-1304

Edessa, PeteB, Andres2 and 4 others like this.
  8. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

You must mean one of these.
    g289.jpg

Yes that are for now but only tentatively assigned to him. Envious of your boar, such an interesting type.

Edessa, PeteB, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  9. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Sure, no problem!

Draft saved Draft deleted