The U.S. Mint has stopped making silver and gold coins????

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jason Hoffpauir, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

You are. Been there.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Not yet...I'm going back in a few weeks for the Barbara Bush FS coins. I'll have a closer look then.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Please explain your comment, when, personnel proximity, number of workers side by side, etc.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

So why else would they be reducing production then? If the demand is there as it always is they would want to capture that revenue. Seems like they lose money but shutting down.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Most people stopped buying the Mints over priced pm coins. With today's market in the pm's the Mint wouldn't be able to sell them at a price we can afford.

LakeEffect likes this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Are people not allowed to think or express an opinion?

8. CamaroDMD

Sure. I just asked why you thought that. What’s the problem?

9. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I worked in a large machine shop. My particular line, just one small section of the shop floor, was about the size of a medium size office building. There were normally only 3-5 guys on that line per shift. So while we working we had a lot of open room. Many of the machines sat idle for various reasons. Everything is dangerous so there needs to be a lot of open room for maneuvering. However, the problem would arise during shift changes and meals when the whole building is congregated into small areas. So I have to assume the constraint is the arrival and departure of employees and meals, not the amount of space each employee has on the shop floor.

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Nope. This sounds like a conspiracy theory.

11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Yet another conspiracy theory :-D

12. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i, too, have heard rumors of this as well..though not as much as the first one..

13. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The ulterior motive is digital currency. Remember, these coins are legal tender even though they are worth far more than face value. If the government was trying to get ALL coins and currency out of circulation or out of the market, it would include gold and silver bullion coins. I'm waiting for them to do what FDR did and confiscate them. That's the next step.

14. Robert Ransom

76 years have taught me to question much of what I read and hear, especially within the last 10 to 15. I cannot name drop because it is forbidden on CT. You would have had your answer without adding the question because it was unnecessary to your comment.

15. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I have toured the Philadelphia, Denver, Winnipeg and Ottawa mints within the last 6 years. In all of them, I saw very few employees throughout except in the rooms for inspecting and polishing proofs. The machines seemed to pretty much run themselves on the main floors. Of course the tours may not have shown rooms with more human activity. All of these visits left me with the lingering impression that it requires very few people to run these facilities, but, again, that was only the view from the rafters.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  16. CamaroDMD

So everything is a big conspiracy? Also, “name dropping” isn’t against any rules.

A professor years ago once told me when diagnosing something to “look for horses not zebras.” The point was that most of the time the simplest explanation is the answer. This situation seems pretty simple to me.

You seem to love to make all kinds of weird claims and then when someone asks for an explanation you refuse to do so. You can’t back up a single thing you say. You are a joke.

atcarroll and LakeEffect like this.
  17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It could be that the Treasury knows something we don't know. Why would they want to sell their stockpile of planchets now if they'll be double the price in six (6) months time? (just an example)

I broke down and bought the 2020 AGE set from the Mint today. That's my last stimulus check...and the next one!

One possibility is...they just sell "stock on hand" until they run out. If the amount of stock on hand is significantly less than prior year mintages, then it might be worth a gamble. Heck, the Treasury is sending me checks now. If they'll give me low mintage gold instead, well...:cigar:

18. CamaroDMD

Maybe. But I assume the mint itself as an entity is decided what staff it can have on hand. I doubt it goes clear to the treasury on some kind of PM speculating move.

The simplest explanation is they are just reducing staff due to the virus. Just like nearly every other industry. Why would they be any different?

If anything, I could see them using the equipment to ramp up production of circulation coinage due to the shortage. But that doesn’t seem to be happening.

yakpoo likes this.
  19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I think you're right. I didn't mean to suggest a conspiracy. It's much more benign than that. Like you said, they're concerned about their employees safety...and recent upward pressure on PMs may also make them reluctant to ramp up production of PM collector coins. In other words, "What harm is there in waiting?"

20. CamaroDMD

I totally agree. I also feel like from a buyers standpoint, buying PMs from the mint isn’t the best value anyway. Maybe there is some bulk bullion option I don’t know about but from what I have seen their markup is high.

21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Well, actually, their markup on the four (4) coin set was my first stimulus check...$1200. They have to have some markup...these coins don't mint themselves. I just hope I get a nice set and it sells out in a hurry! :D

This is this week's sales report. The last three numbers of each line are Last Week's Total, This Week's Total, and Net Change.

The "-2" for the $5 AGE is interesting...more returns than sales. It could mean that it's close to "Sold Out" status...(just a guess).

20EB 2020 1-oz. AGE $50 PF Coin 3,666 3,822 156
    20EC 2020 1/2-oz. AGE $25 PF Coin 1,506 1,540 34
    20ED 2020 1/4-oz. AGE $10 PF Coin 2,235 2,338 103
    20EE 2020 1/10-oz. AGE $5 PF Coin 7,906 7,904 -2
    20EF 2020 AGE PF 4-Coin Set 5,881 5,942 61

Draft saved Draft deleted