The Truth is Out There: Whom do you trust?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaparthy, Oct 12, 2002.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Ted Schwartz is an author from a previous generation whose books you can find in libraries and used book stores. Among his works were three for Amos Press (publishers of Coin World, Linns and Scotts). In the Schwartz book "Coins as Living History" Coin World editor Bill Gibbs handwrote a warning that the work was poorly researched and was not to be used by the staff as background for articles. No such caveats were written into the other two books.

In the thread here on which coin sites you like, I clicked up www.worldcoincatalog.com, which claims: "Coins might had facilitated a move from cumbersome barter system of trade to simple system based on the money. Others speculate that they were stuck as offerings to the Gods in their religious ceremonies. Lydian coins found in Ionian mainland temple of Greek goddess Artemis (Romans called her - Diana) during archeological excavation in 1951 gives credence to such speculation." This is wrong in every claim. The most commonly accepted theory is that coins were invented as bonus payments to mercenaries -- more like medals of honor than a medium of indirect barter. The Artemision at Ephesus was first excavated by researchers from Oxford and the British Museum in before 1903. The coins from that site come from eight separate deposits that are given one context for convenience and even today, not everything about them is known.

Basically, you have to pick your way carefully through the facts in numismatics as with any other field. What you choose to believe depends on your standards. How you apply those standards is perhaps a tougher call. Yesterday, I interviewed for a magazine article a man who has a string of patents on machines to plate small objects such as those components inside your cellphone. He can gold plate a red blood cell. When he said "centrifugal force" I coughed, but did not correct him. It was not important. However, I would not let that go by in a science class.

I have highly recommend TWISTED TAILS by Robert R. Van Ryzin (Krause, 1995) as a start for collectors of US Numismatics.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

Good book, easy read and inexpensive too.

4. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

This. So, the coins we have had in this last 2500 years are not the money.

Ps: This is the oldest thread here.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Almost but not quite. There are several older than this one. You'll find that the first thread here was started by Peter, the site owner about a month earlier than this one. If you can find it that is. Personally, I haven't been able to for many, many years.

6. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Peter who? He is the owner of this site? (how much should I pay him for using here?)

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

8. GDJMSP

Nahhh, that's some kind of an ooooops caused by the software. That thread never existed until Jan 2006.

If you'll look at Peter's profile page, he is CT member #1 - as indicated in the url - https://www.cointalk.com/members/peter-t-davis.1/ . And his join date is plainly listed as Sept. 1, 2002. So there can be no thread posted before that date.

But I give ya kudos for trying to find it :)

9. CoinCorgi

took me all of 30 seconds. I'll live! :D

10. GDJMSP

If it only took ya 30 seconds then please tell me how you did it.

11. CoinCorgi

is this it...

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/welcome-newbies.10/

I click on Peter's ID, profile, postings, scroll to bottom and click on find all threads, go to last page of threads found, scroll down and click on "find older messages"...repeat until no additional threads are found.

12. CoinCorgi

*edit to remove bad link*

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  13. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

I am reading this posted 15 years ago
    and, reading this after 15 years
    giving us "Error". (I thought Corgi was expert in such things.)

Edited to say: Trust Corgi!

14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I was a lot smaller when this thread was started! Oddly enough it is also the year I found my first wheat penny that got me interested in coins.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Considering the source, a sizable donation by any standard is in order... :)

Kentucky and Stevearino like this.
  16. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

Ok, I can pay for the paragraph in the Original Post above which I quoted. Will I also pay for the posts Corgi posted? (Btw, I closed one of my eyes when reading his posts.)

Jokes aside. I remember the forums of mid 1990s (with Matt's script wwwboard textstyle forums). Posts then were with much thoughts/knowledges/info like this one in OP even though internet speed was slow and forum softwares were primitive. Have a look at this old OP in this thread. It is questioning basic things about the coin. For example, this
    was a talk of 15 years ago, but, now, today, if you open any website on the net about the coin, almost all of them repeat the same things "coin has been used as exchange medium, as money form, etc etc" which contradicts the discussions decades ago. More questioning talks in old days while today more cliches/repeats like parrots. What has happened in last decades on the forums? Fatique? due to flooding info? I think so. People have lost trusts more than before. There must be correlation between trust and coin. (anyway, I'll write some about this in "coin with/out numeral" thread, later.)

17. GDJMSP

OK, I knew that method but was hoping you had figured out something easier. personally, I don't have the patience to do it that way. For Peter's posts maybe, but try doing that with mine :inpain:

But yes, that IS an old one, posted when the forum was only 13 days old. It's the earliest post I can recall anyone digging up. But I'm certain there some older yet.

18. GDJMSP

That's because they just copy and paste from each other. Website after website does it, and they don't even bother to check if the info they are copying is correct or not. And quite often, it is not. And believe it or not the very same thing happens with numismatic books and catalogs. I can show you examples of where bad information was repeated in book after book, sometimes for hundred years or more.

Now Mike Marotta, the OP of this thread, he's still a member of this forum and he still posts now and then. He's been a numismatic writer for 20 years or so that I know of, maybe longer. I got to know him through this forum all those years ago, though I had read his work long before that. I can tell ya this much, if he says something you should listen.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

How come. I checked his profile, he was last seen in 2003. (Anyway, maybe, he has another nickname.) If he is viewing here, I'd like him to make a further comment on that he said 15 years ago:

I've not seen such a comment on the coin websites. What they are saying/repeating is that; coins were invented as a commerce tool, as a medium of exchange and such things that don't fit my logic. That "Marotta" said (bonus payments, medals) fits better. However, it should be emphasized here that the coins we are talking here are the coins of last 2500 years. Earlier coins, that's, coins of, say, 10,000 years that we don't know maybe was different than the coins of 2500 years we know and we have. All these coins I see on the net, from today to c500BC are belong to that category, coins as bonus payments and medals, that's, they are not "money" really.

20. GDJMSP

When the forum was still young we used an entirely different software program. And back then it didn't allow us to do the same things that we can do now. So yes, he has a different user name now than he did then. His user name now is @kaparthy

Stevearino likes this.
  21. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

From here, I went to his blog, and found his this article, about "Challenge Coins",
    http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com.tr/2016/09/challenge-coins.html
    where he says:

"... According to numismatist Martin J. Price, monetary coinage was invented about 600 BCE as a form of bonus payments to Greek mercenaries. “[As] bonus payments, the coins are more akin to gifts (or medals) than to coins as we know them.” (“Thoughts on the beginning of coinage,” in Studies in Numismatic Method Presented to Philip Grierson, Cambridge University Press, 1983)... "

Now, it is clear, he shared his opinion of Martin J. Price in the book/article "Thoughts on the beginning of coinage" by Philip Grierson in 1983.

Anyway. After all, I see that I'm not alone in seeing all these coins as non-moneys.

Ps: Thanks for keeping this old thread in the archive.

Draft saved Draft deleted