The TRUTH about AUREOLUS (?)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Two excellent questions. These 2 deities share the same attribute, the rudder, this can actually make the attribution difficult. But the patera is the exclusive attribute of the Concordia in the case that interests us. So in the past this type was described as Fortuna, but in recent attribution it’s Concordia.

For both mints, same obverse and reverse legend, exactly same type. How can we distinguish if it’s from Trier or Milan ? The first clue is the officinae letter; on my example from Milan, you can see the P. But there’s an issue from that mint without the letter… Again an easy trick : on the Trier’s coin, there is a globe at the feet of Aesculapius. Never on Milan’s specimen.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks! As Ocat said, indeed it is from Milan.

Thanks for these additional details, Ocat! I've found 6 AEQVIT examples on acsearch (half with dots, half without), and 2 (corrected to?) EQVIT. None appear to share dies with my example.

4. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Thomas, I couldn’t find a reverse die match with your example. But there are 2 obverse matchs : one in the British Museum and one sold by Kölner Münzkabinett. This is the only decent picture, from the BM. ( I put the two specimens side by side for comparaison)

183BEEA1-632A-4CDC-A965-251B9025E188.jpeg

2A8713FA-CFBE-402C-BBDE-7B74806F32F8.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Bing and Severus Alexander like this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks, Ocat! My coin is in good company. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted