Featured The trouble with t̶r̶i̶b̶b̶l̶e̶s̶ trachys

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Dec 27, 2017.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

This is from a handful of Latin trachys that showed up somewhere (ebay?) all at once, several years ago. All of this type, imitating Manuel I Komnenos, in this condition range. Love how the legend manages the Greek of Manuel's name --unlke most of his official issues! COINS, LATIN TRACHY, NEO ISAAC, ISAAK  OBV.JPG COINS, LATIN TRACHY, NEO ISAAC, ISAAK REV.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

This is S.2104 of John III Ducas-Vatatzes.

The obverse reads "O AGIOC ThEODWPOC" and the reverse "IW DECPiOTHC O DovKAC".

Ross G.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

Many, Many Thanks! ...Okay, St. Theodore. Another martial saint, with St.s George, Michael et al.

5. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

A really nice specimen! Here is mine with the full attribution...

Empire of Nicaea: John III Ducas-Vatazes (1222-1254) BI Trachy, Magnesia (Sear 2104; DOC IV, Type P 50; Lianta 252-53)

Obv: Ο AΓΙΟC ΘЄΟΔШΡΟC in two columnar groups. Half-length figure of St. Theodore nimbate, wearing tunic and breastplate; right hand holds sword, resting over shoulder; left hand holds shield.
    Rev: IШ ΔЄCΠOTHC O ΔϪKAC in two columnar groups. Full-length figure of emperor wearing stemma, divitision, jeweled loros of simplified type and sagion; right hand holds labarum-headed scepter; left hand holds patriarchal cross on globe, which he holds by the shaft.

[​IMG]

Edessa and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  6. Quant.Geek

While time is my enemy and thus it prevents me from photographing a large set of trachaea that I amassed over the years, here are a few unknown ones (have several others that needs to be photographed) that I haven't been able to attribute. They are not in Sears, DOC, Lianta, or CLBC...

Sear-X005.jpg

Untitled4A.jpg

Untitled55.jpg

seth77, Edessa and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  7. Quant.Geek

Unknown, but published. Apparently, one of four known...

Coinage of Uncertain Rulers (1204-1261) BI Trachy, Thessalonica? (CLBC 16.3)

Obv: Full-length figure of Virgin nimbate, orans, wearing tunic and maphorion; holds beardless, nimbate head of Christ on breast
    Rev: Full-length figure of senior ruler on left, with short rounded beard, and of junior ruler on right, beardless, holding between them patriarchal cross on long shaft. Both rulers wear stemma, divitision, collar-piece, and jeweled loros of simplified type, and hold scepters

[​IMG]

seth77, Edessa and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  8. +VGO.DVCKS

Yikes, @Quant.Geek, that's an impressive number of references where they're not. Very best of luck....

Quant.Geek likes this.
  9. Quant.Geek

The first one is a bit iffy as it might be Sear 2042, but I am not sure. It looks a bit like it if you use your imagination...

Latin Empire of Constantinople: Anonymous (1204-1261) Æ Trachy, Constantinople (Sear 2042; DOC IV, Type V 22; Lianta 89-93)

Obv: Ο ΛΓΙΟC; Full-length figure of beardless and nimbate saint wearing short military tunic, breastplate and sagion; right hand holds spear; left hand holds shield
    Rev: KOMNHNOC; Emperor seated upon throne with back, wearing stemma, divitision, collar-piece and jeweled loros of simplified type; right hand holds labarum-headed scepter; left hand holds globus cruciger

[​IMG]

10. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

Yes, the top one is the Latin type Sear 2042 (misd.), CLBC 11.21.1:

Latin V-s.2042(misd.)-9b-3.57g-Naumann 86-762.JPG

The second is probably S.2101 of John III (see Labarum catalog example).

The third is S.2096 of John III:

Nic.-JIII-s.2096-4b-3.32g-Rauch89-2317.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  11. Quant.Geek

Thanks Ross. What threw me off was the extended arm of Christ which is not what I would expect. Here is one of my other so-called Sear-2101 and the Labarum specimen...

Empire of Nicaea: John III Ducas-Vatazes (1222-1254) BI Trachy, Magnesia (Sear-2101; DOC IV, Type M 47; Lianta 243-46)

Obv: IC XC in field; Full-length figure of Christ, standing on dais?; left hand holds Gospel
    Rev: IШ O, KШ or IШ O KШ; Full-length figure of emperor on left, and of St. Constantine, nimbate; between them sword, half-sheathed, point downward. Emperor and saint wear stemma, divitision, collar-piece and jeweled loros of simplified type; both rest hand on shield, emperor's right hand, saint's left hand)
    Dim: 27 mm, 1.46 g, 6 h

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that the extended arm is very similar to coins found in Bulgaria which I have not noticed in Byzantine coins of this period...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  12. Quant.Geek

Chaining with my previous post. Bulgarian tracheae are also interesting...

Bulgaria, Second Empire: Mihail Asen III Šišman (1323–1330) Æ Trachy, Veliko Turnovo (Raduchev & Zhekov 1.12.1; Youroukova & Penchev 65; Dobrinić & Dimnik 8.2.1; Dochev 1790)

Obv: MXAHΛ IШANN; Mihail Šišman (to left) and Ivan Stefan (to right) standing facing, holding long cross between them
    Rev: Šišman tamgha
    Dim: 22mm, 1.95 g, 12h

[​IMG]

13. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

One almost never sees them that well preserved with full legend.

Now back to back to early 14th century Palaeologan:

s-l1600.jpg

+VGO.DVCKS, Quant.Geek and Edessa like this.
  14. Quant.Geek

15. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

That was my id also. Scarce and cutish for ca. 10EUR.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  16. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Nobody ever mentions it but the Barber Institute of Fine Arts, Birmingham,UK has the finest and largest collection of Byzantine coins in the UK.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't like Byzantine coins or Xristian iconography, but do give it a whirl.

Edessa and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  17. Quant.Geek

Any particular reason why you don't like Byzantine coins or Xristian iconography? I am not Christian, myself, but find them fascinating (applies to all religions, in fact) from a historical point of view...

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  18. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

I think of the ancient world ending with Xristianity and the rise of monotheism-the Jews/Zoroastrians essentially were not interested in propagating their views. I don't like the art-it's childish- and the coins are poor to atrocious.
    As Byzantine collectors often admit,it's an acquired taste .
    But still the Barber Institute of F.A. has a fine extensive collection.

Quant.Geek and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  19. +VGO.DVCKS

@NewStyleKing, regarding the aesthetics of Byzantines, one way to acquire the taste is to see them as representing an artistic merger of Classicism with impulses from further East. That's where you get the pronounced level of continuity between the coins, and mosaics and ikons. (...Which went on to influence 20th century artists working in more Cubist idioms; the American Romare Bearden is one, who explicitly acknowledged as much.) Then again, if you don't care for those, I'm out of suggestions....

Quant.Geek, NewStyleKing and BenSi like this.
  20. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Byzantine coinage and particularly trachea and later Palaiologan coinage is not for everyone. And that's ok.

Quant.Geek and BenSi like this.
  21. +VGO.DVCKS

@seth77, hear! hear! As we know, the principle can be applied a little more broadly than that...

Quant.Geek likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted