Featured The trouble with t̶r̶i̶b̶b̶l̶e̶s̶ trachys

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Dec 27, 2017.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

What an interesting message: Saint Demetrius and Andronikos on the ”obverse” and then Michael receiving the blessing and crown from Andronikos on the ”reverse.”

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

See here for more info on the trachies (and plenty more besides):

http://glebecoins.net/paleos/home.html

Ross G.

Quant.Geek and BenSi like this.
  4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Thank you, I know the website and I have been reading most of your articles. I think you are doing great work.

5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

What an informative thread. I only have a couple of these - common ones that I think I figured out. The other day I got this one, which looks weird to me. It is very thin, but only slightly dished - it almost looks clipped. Who'd bother?

I looked at a lot of pictures and came up with a guess, but I am probably wrong. If anybody can set me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged:

Byz - Latin Emp trachy lot Oct 2019 (0).jpg

Empire of Nicaea Æ Trachy
    John III Ducas-Vatatzes (?)
    (1222-1254 A.D.)
    Thessalonica Mint

Bust of Christ ? / Half-length figure of emperor
    holding labarum-headed (?) sceptre and globus.
    (1.50 grams / 18 mm)
    SB 2134?

BenSi and Theodosius like this.
  7. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

It's a Latin issue from Constantinople, Sear 2024, DOC 4, Malloy 4, Hendy Type D, from around the early 1220s.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  8. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Attached is a Isac II, Alex IV from Trebizon (S._, DO 12.3) which I'm very happy to have. Found it in a local coin shop labled "Arab-Imitation" Thank you very much. Took a bit of digging to attribute; I love puzzles.

Well done info site Ross. Cheers to all.

Attached Files:

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Many thanks, seth77 - I appreciate the information/correction!

10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Glad I could help

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  11. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

I tried hard to stay away of the trachys, but one day I got three just to test the feeling of holding one. Managed to attribute none. So I will try harder to stay away of the trachys in the future, but since I got them - help, please (first one below; others still to be photographed).
    Trachy - pic combined.png

12. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Well the obverse is the Virgin Seated with child , what is confusing is the reverse is double struck showing two characters instead of one. I say it is an Isaac II SBCV-2003

catadc likes this.
  13. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

zz.jpg
    Isaac II SBCV -2003

David@PCC and catadc like this.
  14. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe you are right. With the double-strike, everything makes sense now. It is interesting how the upper half of the body on the right disappeared.

15. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

And the other two. Meanwhile I searched a bit with Dane's Excel for trachys and I believe I have an Alexius III - Sear 2012 and an Alexius III - Sear 2013.

Trachy 2 - pic combined.png Trachy 3 - pic combined.png

BenSi and Quant.Geek like this.
  16. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

An older trachy that I picked up earlier in the year. Just got around to properly attributing it while doing some weekend work. A bit soft in some areas, but it has the full legend...

Kingdom of Thessalonica: Theodoros Comnenus-Ducas (1224-1230) Æ Trachy, Thessalonica (Sear 2165; DOC IV Type D, 7; Lianta 329-31)

Obv: IC XC in field; Christ, bearded and nimbate, seated upon throne without back; r. hand raised in benediction, holds Gospel in left hand. Pellet normally in each limb of nimbus cross; Star to right above throne
    Rev: ΘЄOΔШPOC ΔϪK - X/M; Full-length figure of emperor on left, and of St. Michael nimbate, giving model of the city of Thessalonica with three towers into the hands of the emperor; Emperor wears stemma, divitision, collar-piece and jeweled loros of simplified type; right hand hold labarum-headed scepter; Saint wears divitision, collar-piece and panelled loros of simplified type; left hand holds jeweled scepter; Manus Dei in upper center field
    Dim: 29mm, 3.10 g

[​IMG]

BenSi, David@PCC and seth77 like this.
  17. Quant.Geek

Trachy identification is hard! Even experts get the attributions wrong at times. This particular coin was identified as Sear 2297 but its really Sear 2366!

Byzantine Empire: Andronicus II Palaeologus (1282-1328) Æ Trachy, Thessalonica (Sear 2366; Grierson 1433; LPC 208.8)

Obv: Long cross with wing to left
    Rev: Three-quarter length figures of Andronicus left, and St. Demetrius right with large cross between them
    Dim: 21mm, 1.04 g

[​IMG]

As reference, here is Sear 2297:

Byzantine Empire: Michael VIII Palaeologus (1261-1282) Æ Trachy, Thessalonica (Sear-2297; DOC 147-50)

Obv: The Archangel Michael standing facing, holding labarum and sword
    Rev: Half-length facing figures of Michael, holding cruciform scepter, and St. Demetrius, holding spear, supporting staff surmounted by cross within circle between them

[​IMG]

BenSi, David@PCC and seth77 like this.
  18. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

19. Quant.Geek

Picked up another one of these "Trachy/Token/Medal" of Alexios and John Asen. This one has a better strike, but is a brockage and has been damaged a bit.

[​IMG]

BenSi, Severus Alexander and seth77 like this.
  20. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

What an excellent strike and possibly the best example for the fact that:

1. both figures are male (Despotes, so an ID of Anna de Savoia is now very unlikely, finally)

2. the coinage is NOT by any stretch an imperial one.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    BenSi and Quant.Geek like this.
  21. Quant.Geek

Based on the previous analysis done by Morrisson, the conclusion was that it was not an imperial issue based on the Venetian-style headdress on both figures. The obverse has already been deciphered as St. Demetrios orans within the city walls. However, the coin is still classified as Unknown as opposed to Bendall's Alexios/John theory...

I don't have any of my references or equipment so I can't take any detailed pictures. These are the seller's pics. I want to see if I can get a better view of the legends, but it might still be enigmatic :(

Draft saved Draft deleted