The Triumvirs

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ro1974, Feb 19, 2021.

1. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

In my Collection
    The Triumvirs. Mark Antony. Summer 32 BC. AR Denarius (19.5mm, 3.54 g, 3h). Athens mint. Bare head right; / ANTONIVS/AVG • IMP • III in two lines _DSC b5551.jpg _DSC5  549.jpg

Originally, triumviri were special commissions of three men appointed for specific administrative tasks apart from the regular duties of Roman magistrates. The triumviri capitales, for instance, oversaw prisons and executions, along with other functions that, as Andrew Lintott notes, show them to have been "a mixture of police superintendents and justices of the peace."[7] The capitales were first established around 290 to 287 BC.[8] They were supervised by the praetor urbanus. These triumviri, or the tresviri nocturni,[9] may also have taken some responsibility for fire control.[10] The triumviri monetalis ("triumviri of the temple of Juno the Advisor" or "monetary triumvirs") supervised the issuing of Roman coins.

Three-man commissions were also appointed for purposes such as establishing colonies (triumviri coloniae deducendae) or distributing land.[11] Triumviri mensarii served as public bankers;[12] the full range of their financial functions in 216 BC, when the commission included two men of consular rank, has been the subject of debate.[13] Another form of three-man commission was the tresviri epulones, who were in charge of organizing public feasts on holidays. This commission was created in 196 BC by a tribunician law on behalf of the people, and their number was later increased to seven (septemviri epulones).[14]

The term is most commonly used by historians to refer to the First Triumvirate of Julius Caesar, Marcus Licinius Crassus, and Pompey the Great, and the Second Triumvirate of Octavianus (later Caesar Augustus), Mark Antony, and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus.

The Second Triumvirate was the political alliance between three of the Roman Republic's most powerful figures: Octavian (the future emperor Augustus), Mark Antony, and Lepidus. Formally called the Triumvirate for Organizing the Republic (Latin: tresviri rei publicae constituendae),[2] it was formed on 27 November 43 BC with the enactment of the Lex Titia, and existed for two five-year terms, covering the period until 33 BC. Unlike the earlier First Triumvirate (between Julius Caesar, Pompey and Crassus),[3][4] the Second Triumvirate was an official, legally established institution, whose overwhelming power in the Roman state was given full legal sanction and whose imperium maius outranked that of all other magistrates, including the consuls. information wiki

1920px-Roman-Empire-39BC-sm.png
    green is antony

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice ro.. historic coin!..my MA's from the battle of Philippi, tho not as purdy as yours..:) Marc Anthony denarius 001.JPG Marc Anthony denarius 004.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

MarkAntonySilanusDenRSC71.jpg
    The Triumvirs. Mark Antony. Summer 32 BC. AR Denarius (3.53 gm, 12h, 19 x 17mm). Athens mint. M. Junius Silanus, proconsul. Obv: ANTON AVG IMP III COS DES III III V R P C. Bare head of Antony right; small P in hair behind ear. Rev: M • SILANVS • AVG/ Q • PRO • COS in two lines. Crawford 542/1; CRI 346; Sydenham 1208; RSC 71.

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice, @ro1974 . Congrats.

One of Mine
    upload_2021-2-19_17-30-57.png
    Roman Imperatorial
    Marc Anthony and Octavian - Portrait Denarius.
    41 BCE Military mint traveling with Antony
    3.65g 18.7mm
    Obv: M ANTON IMP III VIR R P C legend with bare head right, star below
    Rev: CAESAR IMP III VIR R P C legend with AR in monogram and bare head right
    Craw 528-2; Sear 1507; Syd 261; BMC East 121; RSC 1

6. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

4C833D6B-76B6-4E01-A0FB-8E66AF2EB65E.jpeg 5C5723E4-50CB-4107-8485-2C053105BCC5.jpeg FCF9D986-F785-4B05-8AB3-43F8B4A35BDF.jpeg 978F2A14-3D7E-4A4F-B9F7-5390ED455369.jpeg

Antony and Octavian
    41 BC

eparch, AuldFartte, Spaniard and 18 others like this.
  7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

WOW!! And great photography too.

philologus_1 and ro1974 like this.
  8. Cinco71

Cinco71 Well-Known Member

My coin featuring a dynamic duo:
    AntonyOctavius.JPG o.

9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great portrait on your MA. To me, the time of the triumvirates is one of the most fascinating time periods. I'm missing some in my collection. These are some of the coins of the tirumvirs I do have:
    0.4.png

0.9.png

0.11.png

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great imperatorial coins all around.
    Here are the three of them (2nd triumvirate) :

0023-075.jpg

0029-010.jpg

Q

PeteB, Spaniard, philologus_1 and 8 others like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Not a Portrait, but always a very cool issue from Lepidus (Triumvir) and Antony, and it is a Quinarius:

[​IMG]
    Lepidus & Mark Antony.
    43 B.C. AR quinarius (13.93 mm, 1.82 g, 5 h).
    Military mint traveling with Antony and Lepidus in Transalpine Gaul, 43 B.C. M ANT IMP, emblems of the augurate;
    lituus, capis, and raven standing left / LEP IMP, emblems of the pontificate: simpulum, aspergillum, securis, and apex.
    Crawford 489/3; CRI 120; Sydenham 1158a; RSC 3. aVF. Scarce
    Ex: RBW Collection

Limes, PeteB, Johndakerftw and 7 others like this.
  12. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

jdmKY likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't collect this period with any intensity but can only add that there is a higher than usual number from the period with a secret inside. Buyer beware.
    ra8200bb0393.jpg

Limes, Johndakerftw, Spaniard and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted