The triumph of cranky stubbornness!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ccarroll, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ccarroll

ccarroll Member

I'd posted previously about my unsuccessful efforts to sell a 1900 Austrian 4-ducat gold coin. I went to my first show last year, the big annual international show at the Waldorf Astoria, but I'd been led astray by a couple of dealers (I think Heritage was one) who were implying that they might be interested to the tune of $1000-$1200, but when I returned, they immediately were saying, oh, no, that wasn't what they'd meant at all. They were saying they weren't offering to buy, only hazarding theoretical prices if I wanted to consign it for auction.

So I missed my chance at the show, and though I shopped around in NYC over the next several months, the prices I was being offered kept getting lower and lower - $560, $550, $520, $510, $490, $470... People were implying that the margin was so low that they wouldn't sell it for much more than that, which I didn't believe, and I also had the impression that some were claiming that the condition was worse than it was. I was finding, too, that although there are a lot of local dealers claiming an interest and expertise in international coins, that just wasn't true.

I finally got so irritated that I decided to stubbornly wait until this January again. I went to the show again, and this time I was smart enough to make a beeline for the foreign dealers, sure I could get at least $600. I immediately got an offer for $650 - but then a better one for $700.

So I think there's a double moral. First, that stubbornness can pay off. Second, that nothing takes the place of persistent legwork.

:smuggrin:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You're right! Sometimes persistence does pay off.

I had a similar situation at the 2007 FUN Show. I had a 1901 $10 Bison note graded by PMG F12 that I wanted to sell. To me, it was beautiful because it had a nice patina from being passed from one hand to another. I figured that $600 would be a reasonable wholesale price. I shopped it around to quite a few of the paper money dealers, and the best offer I got was $400. I thought they were all nuts. Anyway, while I was sitting in the lobby thinking about what I should do, a dealer from Texas sitting next to me asked if he could see the note. He offered me $650 without even asking about the other offers. SOLD!

Chris

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

good deal, congrats

5. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

My favorite answer of all time's : Sell in haste,regret in leasure! Hang on to it until this election farce's over and then try again. Check with some of the overseas dealers like Kunker.com

6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

thes the problem with bring a vest pocket dealer with unique items or hard to place items

Draft saved Draft deleted