The Toning Premium Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Did Doug and I just agree to $300? :cool: I guess I"m gonna have to watch this thread much closer :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Apology accepted even though I was never offended. I'm glad you are staying; you are a good dude! We still don't have your guess on the price of the coin though? And I am kinda rooting for you since I want to guess on those Peace Dollars.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, you need to watch what I actually say much closer - instead of what you interpret me to be saying. And I mean what I have said in in other threads - not this one.

I have long been a fan of attractively toned coins. And as such I was always willing to pay a premium for them. But not as much as most pay. That - I just won't do. Or should say, wouldn't do since I no longer collect.

By the way, when I get around to posting a couple of pics in this thread, there may be even more surpises in store for you Duke ;)

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Bring the pict's on...I'll be here waiting.

6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

There he is. Ok, I am curious, you state that you WOULD have paid $125 premium for this coin, Would that have been for its quality or the toning?

Not trying to derail thread Lehigh, just wondering the specifics of Doug's assessment and the price he would have paid.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Paul, as a suggestion, once you reveal the price of this Morgan, you might want to state in big, bold print that we are moving on to the second coin. No offense to jersey, and I'm glad that he is continuing to participate, but others who have not read any of this thread will probably do the same and post their own photos. So, I'm sure this will happen again.

Chris

8. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

I will guess $450, being it is an early 1880's S-mint Morgan, for which toners are plentiful. Not sure what the toner market was like in '07.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Hotter than it is now.

10. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

While I can't see myself paying much of a premium for nicely toned coins, I do like the way they look. I will guess this is in the 2-3x range and say the price was $460. Great idea for a learning thread.

11. Lehigh96

We have a winner. I paid $712 for the coin. My max bid was $750. I remember my initial reaction to the coin was that it was solid for the grade. Often times, rainbow toned coins will be market graded and given a bump for the toning. This is not a toned MS65 in an MS66 holder. The cheek is very clean with only a few luster grazes and the reverse is equally as solid. The toning pattern is unusual in that it was created by two overlapping coins. The photos gave me reason to believe that the luster was strong and the colors were vibrant. I thought that the coin was worth 3-4X bid and placed a strong bid which left me paying basically a retail price at the time. I was very happy when I received the coin, it is very impressive in hand.

As a reminder, this thread will work better if we post only one coin at a time. Mike was the winner and now has the option to post his own toner or pass on his option and leave it open to the quickest on the draw. Mike you have 24 hours to respond or posting will become open to everyone.

12. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

Hey, 24 hours aren't up!

Just kidding; I'll catch some of the upcoming coin posts.

13. Duke Kavanaugh

I thought you'd do everyone that was within 10% or 25% of the bid would get a point and then tally the points. But you might have to move to within 50% lol

14. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Thanks for a good thread. At least I got the part right about the toning pattern. I suspected that was the aspect that made the coin unique. Just for kicks and giggles, what would you offer the coin for sale at today ? Congrats Mike !

15. GDJMSP

Thought I made that clear - for the toning.

16. Lehigh96

I still think the coin is worth 3X Wholesale ($720).

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Taste+ price do change a few thing

Toned coin do command a higher price than most Blast white coin.
    and then
    there this type of toned coins.they command a larger $$$$!
    check out the Denali collection of 1870 Pattern coin

http://www.cointalk.com/t135232/

18. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Well since it was a nice coin for the grade, I thought maybe some of it was for a star designation, PQ, etc. You know that not all MS66's are the same. That is what I was getting at.

19. GDJMSP

Unless I'm blind, that coin did not have the star designation. But OK, I get your point.

20. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

So no additional " Toned " market appreciation, from when you purchased it. Thats a very nice coin for that money. I would have gotten taken for a $1,000.00 for that. To be honest, I would have over paid for this one.

21. Lehigh96

That is the beauty of the toned coin market. What you would pay for this coin is only considered overpaying when compared to what I would pay for the coin. If you sold this coin over and over again at different auction venues to different collector pools, the coin would not drive the same price each time. Instead, you would left with a price range. Based on your response, you feel this coin is worth closer to 4X wholesale than my chosen premium of 3X wholesale. The goal is to be able to accurately predict that price range. As Doug stated earlier, an 1882-S Morgan was closer to $200 in 2007. Using that price as the baseline, my opinion is that a price range of $600-$800 would have been accurate in 2007. Both my bid $750 and the price realized $712 seem to support that claim as well.

Anyone who guessed between $600-$800 did very well in their pricing of this particular coin IMO. Personally, I use the range to encompass wholesale and retail for toned coins. By placing a bid of $750 on this coin, I was willing to pay retail price. I would consider $600 wholesale price for this coin in 2007.

Draft saved Draft deleted