The Toning Premium Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Slow down cowboy, we are posting one coin at a time to lessen confusion. Otherwise we won't be able to keep track of whose coin we are discussing. Please read the OP for the rules. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. seasnake

seasnake Junior Member

As with all of my guesses here I make my choice before reading others. I came up with $500 and was then happy when Shane also guessed the same so I'll downgrade mine to $475, reason being this particular toning is in the grey area, a little more green = a huge premimum. It's a beautiful coin which I would have no problem buying however I just sold a few with equivelent toning and was rather disappointed with the results, I think 2 years ago it would have fetched more than my estimate so it's difficult to determine what you paid. The 66 is certainly a factor so if the answer is 1,200-1,500 I wouldn't be shocked.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

OK, In 2007, I'd guess you spent $700 on the coin.

5. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

My guess is $465 in 2007. The reason I do not feel it would sell for much over a 2X premium is because the majority of color on the coin is dull/pastel with the minority being vibrant. In my opinion what is most impressive about this coin is the luster. The reverse is really booming.If juiced I could imagine the vibrant colors would coverup the lighter colors. Mind telling us who the seller was?

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

7. Lehigh96

Chubberchub no reserve auction.

8. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

ok great.ill keep my price of $465
    thanks

9. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'm not sure if we're guessing what it sold for or what I would pay. That is 2 really different numbers I'd think.
    I'll put both for now.
    I'd pay around $300 as the Grey I have with me show's $220 ask and is a month or two old. So about 1.5x.
    Also my guess would be that the Toning Super Fans would spend $850 as it is bright and colorful.

10. Lehigh96

The guess is what price you think the owner of the coin paid for it. I think it is interesting for you to include your opinion of the coins value but I will put down $850 as your guess.

11. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

Sorry, I figured that people here were intelligent enough to handle 2 coins.

Or do you not want me to take away any of your attention?

You take every possibility to post your coins in other peoples threads, but when someone does the same to you, you cry foul.

On that note, it was a pleasure being a member here, but posting here is no longer enjoyable.

I will be solely on the NGC forums from here on out.

12. Lehigh96

I am not sure why you are so bent but this thread is meant to be fun. I only created the one coin at a time rule to keep some kind of order. You may think that talking about two or more coins at once is not a big deal, but past experience has taught me otherwise; I know that it will cause mass confusion which will eventually kill the thread.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Wow, Jerseycat, you are certainly entitled to do as you wish, but I think you are overreacting. Take care & good luck...Mike

14. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Even considering what the bid/ask was back than, which was probably a bit less than the current prices, I think most astute collectors of the series will agree that this example is an Exceptional and Very Choice for the Grade piece. Having said that, four or five years ago there was considerably less interest in the " Toned " aspect of the market, which would influence the premium factor. I'll stick with my previous mentioned price, but would not also be surprised to find that it was offered at a lesser price than I suggested. It will be interesting to learn the facts of this buy. Now I'm eager for " The rest of the Story" . FYI to give an example of what the bid/ask was in 1999, it was $210/$225 in 66 and 67 $ 775.00/$875.00 Today it's $220/$240 in 66 and 67 $700/$790 . Now that is interesting on it's own. All are CDN prices. The 1999 Sight unseen prices for both PCGS/NGC $200 (66) and $660/$560 in 67. I would also note that this coin in a 66 DM wholesaled at roughly $3,000 . ( reference TAGZ ).

15. coinman0456

Jersey, Lehigh only pointed out that people tend to get away from the subject matter when folks start posting up pictures of their coins. It confuses respondents.
    There was no intent to otherwise chastise you. IT's simply a matter of fact.

16. Duke Kavanaugh

Jersey,

In his original thread he posted he only wanted one coin in a 24 hour period. I thought that was a good idea as we can get real discussions on each coin and not coinfuse them. Here is what he posted in the first post:

"I think the thread would work better if only one coin is posted at a time. Once a coin is posted, the members of the forum would have 24 hours to respond with their guess about the premium and their reasons why. Once the 24 hours has passed the coin's owner would post the answer and whomever is closest earns the right to either post the next coin or pass to someone else."

And when he responded he was not rude...I think your overreacting to this. But if you go, I hope it goes well for you there. BTW LeHigh is there too ;)

17. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

I humbly return, with me tail between my legs.

I must apologize, as I did overreact, partly for my inability to read the entire OP before posting my coins.

Sorry Lehigh96.

coinman1234 likes this.
  18. coinman0456

Good man. It's just so terribly distracting from the original thread, and all hell breaks loose. Thanks for coming back in.

19. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Its somewhat a tough post, isn't it Lehigh? I mean, most agree the coin is premium for the grade, so how will we know how much is grade and how much is toning?

I am glad Jerseycat came back. I was afraid all of the drama had occurred before Doug or I had a chance to post anything!

Chris

Edit: Ok, unfair I didn't guess. If bid is $240, then I would add $160 for the coin, and $80 for the toning making it $480. I am sure I am wrong, but really am open to why.

20. Duke Kavanaugh

Glad your staying JerseyCat

And back to the topic...
    Yes medoraman that's what bothers me so much about toning is most people agree that there should be more money for nice toning and less for unattractive toning but you can't put a price guide on it.
    It just seems so arbitrary. I think that is why I won't pay much more for a nicely toned coin.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK Paul - I'm gonna guess you paid about $600 for it. My reasons for that are simple, it's pretty coin but not extravagantly so. So the premium should not be too out of line, but yet in '07 the toning fans were nearly as rampant as they are now so the premium would still have been substantial.

Now back in May of '07 an ordinary '82-S 66 Morgan should have been selling for around $175 - the Morgan market was in a lull right then. So $600 would be approx 3 - 3.5x. And knowing you, you would have jumped at that.

Could you have paid more ? Yeah, but that's my guess. Personally I would not have paid a dime over $300 for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted