The Toning Premium Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Oct 21, 2010.

1. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Because none of these auctions/BIN listings have realized, that's not a good way to gauge these coins' value...

Just because someone is asking this moon money doesn't mean they command these premiums on the open market.

And I'm not saying an attractively-toned Ike won't cost a pretty penny - I'm simply saying that you can't price a coin through eBay listings that haven't realized with genuine bids (not offers, and not listings that have ended w/out a single bid).

-Brian

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. coinguy-matthew

Yea maybe poor examples i posted but i think it gives you the general idea of what i was trying to get across. If you think your going to get anything that attractive for cheap then by all means post it??? I have seen examples just like the ones i posted sell between $250 and $500. Like i said if anyone would like to post a similar example that is any cheaper you will make a believer out of me...

5. coinguy-matthew

Here are what some established professionals are asking for there toned Ikes and i know this is still not solid info because this is not the price that has been realized but dont worry i will post some just as soon as i can get the info, eBay only lets me go so far back when searching completed sales but i have tracked most of the ones sold. I have tagged some of the ones i posted above that have been re-listed and will post what those realize too!

http://www.jmscoins.com/store/product.php?productid=18075&cat=264&page=1

http://www.jmscoins.com/store/product.php?productid=18074&cat=264&page=1

http://www.bobpaulrarecoins.com/product/1974-s-eisenhower-proof-dollar-1-in-us-mint-holder/

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

In celebration of the end of summer, please note the premium toning of this!

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I am no stranger to paying big premiums but you have to understand, I don't collect proof IKE's and didn't know how much of a premium they drive. I thought since the coin was a rather low grade for a modern proof and that it was CAMEO rather than DCAM that it would reduce the number of people interested in the coin and the price. If you told me you paid a few hundred it wouldn't surprise me. If you told me you paid a few thousand I would tell you I have a shovel for sale.

8. coinguy-matthew

I paid $250 for the coin i posted but i normally cap them at around $200, im trying to complete a whole set of toned proofs and i have been looking for a clad type 1 for awhile now when this one showed up. It was originally a Bin of $399 which i feel would only be warranted on something more like a PR68 or PR69 DCAM. The reason i jumped on this particular coin is like i had said previously a toned proof 1976 clad type 1 just doesn't present itself often.

9. Lehigh96

I couldn't afford that toning anyway, but thanks for sharing.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

eayh I thought better of it. Self moderation.

11. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

It's been over a year since someone has posted a coin to this thread. I don't know how I stumbled upon it, but I'm glad I did. Lost of great coins and some good insight as well.
    Here is a Franklin Half I purchased last summer either in July or August if I remember correctly. It is in an NGC MS 64* FBL slab.

I have 2 sets of photos for this particular coin.

1950 D 50C NGC MS 64(STAR) FBL obv.jpg
    1950 D 50C NGC MS 64(STAR) FBL rev.jpg
    1950 D 50C NGC MS 64 FBL Obv.jpg
    1950 D 50C NGC MS 64 FBL Rev.jpg

12. Lehigh96

These usually retail in the $50-$60 range but since yours has attractive toning and a star designation, I will say that fell just short of 3 figures: $95

13. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Paul, I haven't seen you post in a long time. For a while I thought maybe you retired and/or moved to Macau to play poker or something. ;) Good to see you here...

14. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Attached Files:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. bsowa1029

I will add a couple things about the coin. I purchased it on eBay from kryptonitecomics and attractive toning on a 50 D is rare.

16. Lehigh96

Shane has a dedicated following of Franklin collectors which may have pushed up the price, but I am sticking with my first instinct on this one. My concern is that I am the only one playing the game at the moment. This used to be a very successful thread at one point, thanks for resurrecting it Brian.

17. Lehigh96

LOL, I still post from time to time, when something interests me.

18. Lehigh96

Millrat, the color on that coin is very impressive, I would place it in the 7-10X premium category. What is the grade of the coin? I assume it is in PCGS plastic.

19. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

PCGS 63 rattler, 1883o. Colors are reasonably accurate. I blush to say more like 15x, but I am thrilled with it. I looked at many toners at the WFOM and was shocked at the asking prices of even the reverse side toners - 3,4 even 5k! I will say the Franklin was $150.Sorry to cut in line (edit button was gone).

20. bsowa1029

No worries mill rat. Your coin is amazing so I guess I'll let it slide this time.

Paul, the price of the Franklin was definitely driven up a bit. I ended up paying right around 4x retail for it.

21. Lehigh96

Don't take this the wrong way as your photos are nice, but if you show us Shane's photos of this coin, we might change our minds about the premium. The problem is that there are a bunch of people who are working on rainbow toned Franklin Half registry sets and that if the 1950-D is a blocker, you can expect spirited bidding when one hits the market, especially a full bell example with a star designation.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted