The Toning Premium Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Oct 21, 2010.

1. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

This isnt necessarily amazing toning, but I like rim toning that acts like a frame for the coin. I paid $xxxx with shipping included. Currently selling on ebay for $39-$49 range for a totally white coin.

1944 mercury dime with template.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

you are supposed to post a coin and let people guess how much you paid.

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Ahhh, I see. Post edited for anyone who hasn't already seen the original post.

5. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

6. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

If anyone wants to take a guess????

sr677r.jpg sr677f.jpg

Derick likes this.
  7. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Did you buy that one Matthew? I saw that one too, but didn't bid.

8. coinguy-matthew

9. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

10. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Can't imagine toning premium is that high. PCGS price guide shows $12. Add $5 - $10 for toning?

11. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

He asked for a number, so I threw one out there. I have no idea for prices, but he paid $90 for the one before this, so I just took a shot.

12. coinguy-matthew

13. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

I take it you don't deal with toned coins much huh?

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Resurrection & Rules Review!

15. coinguy-matthew

Ok here ill post a recent toner that i bought off of eBay......

$T2eC16hHJF0E9nmFTLzOBP7gEOdzTw~~60_3.JPG $T2eC16NHJGIE9nnWpUuTBP7gEK4UP!~~60_3.JPG DSC_0337-2.jpg

16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Rule--it is a beautiful coin, and if someone didn't feel like paying the premium--their loss, not yours.

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I have no real interest in toned coins per se, but I did pick this one up..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I'll say 35$ on the Ike.. ~2.5X premium...

I'll say $65 on the 00-o morgan.. assuming it is ms63-4

20. coinguy-matthew

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the premiums for attractively toned Ike dollars. Attractively toned ike dollars including proofs are rare and hard to come by, were not talking about brown box toners here were talking peacock and other interesting toning patterns. If you think im crazy then try this, do a search on eBay for attractively toned Morgan dollars slabbed by PCGS and it will show many listed with not surprisingly high premiums. Now do the same search for an attractively toned Ike dollar, you will be surprised to not only find that there is not many to be had and the ones available are bringing big premiums. Here are some examples of what kind of premiums monster toned Ikes can bring pulled directly from eBay to further my point....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-S-Eisenhower-Ike-Silver-Dollar-PCGS-PR68DCAM-Rainbow-Target-Toning-/110942424150?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19d4af0c56#ht_500wt_1181

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-S-Eisenhower-Dollar-Silver-Ike-Beautiful-Toned-PCGS-PR69-DCAM-Morgan-look-/350591274981?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item51a0de4fe5#ht_500wt_1414

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350589012150?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1183

So if you think im crazy for paying this kind of premium i am not the only one willing to pay it and although toned Ike premiums are not what its big sister the Morgan dollar is bringing, its not all that far away.

21. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Holey mackeral !! I had no idea these commanded these premiums... Which is the purpose of the thread I guess,, thanks for providing the links and guidance Matt.

Draft saved Draft deleted