The Toning Premium Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Billyloves silver

Billyloves silver New Member

What a beautiful coin. I'm torn the obverse is incredible the reverse not so much. The date and grade are common. I say $599. I hope I'm not $1,000 off!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke53

Duke53 New Member

I look at coins with toning adorned as a beautiful woman, this one does not particularly attract me. Strictly my preference here to this particular coin, I think the price is correct in the Grey Sheet, at least for me.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Duke53

Duke53 New Member

I look at coins with toning as adornment, much like a beautiful woman, if the make-up isn't applied properly she is not as attractive, this one does not particularly attract me. Strictly my preference here to this particular coin, I think the price is correct in the Grey Sheet, at least for me. IMHO

5. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

I looked up the 1883-O that @IBetASilverDollar posted -- I didn't dare guess what people are willing to pay for generic dime-a-dozen US coins these days. I'll just say that I hope the buyer likes it for that price. :eek:

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's part of the problem isn't it ? People paying more, often considerably more, than a coin is actually worth. I see that as also being part of the "conditioning process" mentioned earlier.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

8. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

Having looked at the same auction house where the 1883-O sold, another more attractive (IMO) example in MS63 sold 12 days later for half of what the one posted by @IBetASilverDollar did. Another that is also more attractive (IMO) sold 7 days before for less than 1/3 of the price.

To each his/her own, but it certainly wasn't a "typical" sale price for this kind of material.

9. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

Your comment perfectly sums up the vagaries of "toner" taste. I also looked up the sale price of this coin. What a coin like this "should" go for and what it actually went for can vary so widely that guessing a reasonable premium almost becomes pointless (considering we are looking at a baggy 63).

There are many "reasonable" guesses here already. IMO this coin "should" go for $150. I wouldn't pay that much for it, though.

Cheech9712 and brg5658 like this.
  10. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Yeah I chose this one because I was a little baffled by the auction results and wanted to see peoples guesses since I personally would be under $150 for it. Was glad to see everyone is exactly in line with where I'm at and this one just happens to be an outlier (I didn't choose it because I thought it was an outlier to be tricky for the record either, again I rarely pay big premiums so was curious if this was a coin people would pounce at and glad to see it's not).

Definitely a great thread to learn.

Cheech9712 and ddddd like this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe there still is a point to the exercise. We see the premiums that members post and from that can learn what a reasonable market for this type of coin should be. We can help determine if the price is truly an outlier or if the market has changed. If it is an outlier, it is important to point that out and teach others that the realized price is not typical.

Rust_junky and IBetASilverDollar like this.
  12. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I totally agree and meant to say in my last post that I didn't want to take the fun nor the educational opportunity out of this thread. I appreciate that you've resurrected it. I certainly gained an understanding of toners (and value) in Lehigh's original thread.

People will inevitably search for the sale price of some of the coins posted but that won't stop others from giving their best guess and seeing what the results are.

ddddd likes this.
  13. IBetASilverDollar

I believe you are the closest. It sold on Heritage for 305.

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

That's not too surprising especially on HA but any more and you're getting into crazy territory. Looks like a VAM 21A by the way

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Here's one. It sold in a private sale to a CU member a few months back. Guess what it sold for...

MBP7K219933-2_opt.jpg MBP7K219842-2_opt_opt (1).jpg MBP7K219846-2_opt.jpg

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Looks like @Cascade jumped the gun. We'll use your Morgan for this next round but @Beefer518 will get to go after that no matter who gets closest on this one.

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

As for @Cascade 's Morgan, here are my thoughts:

*OGH ...so a premium for the older holder...could also suggest that the coin is stable

*A bit less baggy than the previous 63 that we saw posted; I would say it is still correctly graded (maybe could be a 63+)

*The obverse is fully toned, which is more desirable than when only a portion is toned (unless that portion is a unique pattern).

*Some strong colors

...I will go with $375

18. IBetASilverDollar

19. totally

totally Active Member

I am going to go with $369.63

20. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Wow, and I thought I was going to be too high.

As soon as @Cascade is revealed, I'll put mine up. I'll go take the pics so they're ready.

As for @Cascade 's coin, I'll go $450. Between the real nice and even color spread, and the OGH, I could see stupid money being spent on this.

moneycostingmemoney and ddddd like this.
  21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Private sales are much trickier, has to be enough that the owner didn't just send it to auction. I'd guess over 500

Draft saved Draft deleted