The Toning Premium Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 10, 2017.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

@Lehigh96 ??
    @mumu ??

You 2 are the only ones that still have toners to post !!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

How about a curve ball? A raw 1984-S proof Kennedy and I won't include a guide price.
    What did I pay? Why is it a curve ball? :smuggrin:

IMG_1831.JPG IMG_1834.JPG

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

5. heavycam.monstervam

50 cents ??
    Face value roll find??

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I think you paid a $1.00 for it.

The curve ball is the toning came from you putting it in an envelope as an experiment.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This thread depresses me. Too much idiocy out there.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  10. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

Learning the difference between original toning, which is naturally acquired over decades and chemically-induced toning which artificially imparts color (not real toning) on a coin is the key to appreciating originally toned coins.

Sometimes even the grading services have difficulty deciding whether the toning is genuine or questionable

BTW.png

11. V. Kurt Bellman

How exactly is proving that PCGS doesn't know their tuchas from a hole in the ground (something I already knew, btw) supposed to help me feel better about toners?

12. heavycam.monstervam

Paying a premium for a nice original,
    mint-set toned Franklin (for example) is no different than paying the steep premiums the US mint charges for the fancy smancy commems and special sets they put out every year.
    I believe YOUo_O have purchased some of these for your collection even. I guess we're ALL idiots if you look at it that way.;)

ddddd likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

How do you define "steep premiums" when virtually EVERY world mint charges premiums far above what the U.S. Mint does for similar products? I'm talking the U.K., Canada, Austria, France, South Africa, China, etc., etc. ALL have premiums WAAAAAAY above what the U.S. Mint charges.

NOBODY in the ENTIRE WORLD, other than Americans, pay out the wazoo for toning. They just don't. SMALL premiums? For subtlety? Sure, but not this.

14. heavycam.monstervam

That STILL doesnt make it any less idiotic to pay extry for fancy cardboard, paper and plastic just because the mint charges less than other countries. Sheesh.

As the old-timers would say: that old gimmick stuff aint worth doodly squat

ddddd likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

Yet on another thread, quoting a PUBLISHED ARTICLE, we learn that OGP coins are now bringing HIGHER prices than even MS70 slabs of the same issue. Some of that "fancy cardboard, paper and plastic" seems to be coming into favor.

Kasia likes this.
  16. heavycam.monstervam

I would love to further debate this with you Kurt. Im actually packing to go camping on the Mohican river and i wont have internet (or phone calls) for 4 days. Im leaving the hustle,bustle & stress of the big city behind.
    Aaaaaaaaaah i can hear the beer tops popping, and the brooks babbling already !!
    Those MS70s never were worth it either btw, especially when they have milk spots and nicks all over them. Shhh dont tell the public
    The dark side of the force is strong !! Join us!

17. V. Kurt Bellman

Oh I have some toners, including Double Mint Set toners. But I didn't pay obscene prices for any of them.

18. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

We all have different things that make us shake our heads in the hobby. Personally while I wouldn't pay 50x price guide because of color normally - I would if I had to choose between that and buying anything modern.

The nice thing is you can just do it your own way.

ddddd likes this.
  19. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

Appreciating toning is based on personal preference. You do NOT have to like it or even appreciate it. Or even feel better about whether the grading services can determine it. My point is that there are many of us who have appreciated original toning for decades and are willing to pay a premium for it when we see it and it appeals to us. The fact that there are so many people who cannot determine whether the toning on their coins is genuine or artificially induced means that there are people who need to be educated about it.

Buy what YOU like and what YOU enjoy!

ddddd likes this.
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

The real problem is many of you "are willing to pay a premium for it when we see it and it appeals to us" EVEN WHEN IT'S ARTIFICIAL.

I admit that when I'm in my "Internet phase" I read posts from MANY toning aficionados. When I'm at major national coin shows, all I hear on the bourse are critics and downplayers of the stuff.

21. heavycam.monstervam

We dont like to pay premiums either !! Fact is, my favorite dealer (thats why he gets so much of my business) doesnt charge much if any premium for toners depending on what hes got in it. I paid $120 for a NGC walker with a star on the label from him. I made a small profit off of it, then later on one of our CT members spotted it up at the big show in Chicago with a $750 price tag !!
    Alright gotta go !!

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted