The Toning Premium Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 10, 2017.

1. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I couldn't agree more. The toning pattern is heavy-handed and conflicts with, rather than compliments, Liberty's portrait. Yet many enthusiasts will "love" this coin because they've been conditioned to "love" rainbow toning.

GSDykes and eddiespin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

You can dislike a coins look without insulting people who do like it.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I really don't see how his comment is insulting to people who like it. Everybody has different taste and will like or dislike a coin for many different reasons. And one of those reasons for liking it could easily be because some, stress some, are conditioned to like "rainbow" toning.

I've personally seen where that's happened with some people. They get to like things because somebody else likes them. It happens.

In point of fact, I did it myself once, quite a few years ago, and inadvertently became my own worst enemy. When I first started collecting Netherlands gold ducats and writing about them - hardly anybody else collected them. And in just 3 short years I managed to turn those coins into something popular enough that their prices tripled - in just 3 years ! So yeah, it happens.

moneycostingmemoney and furham like this.
  5. IBetASilverDollar

It's not the most insulting post ever but it was no doubt condescending and that happens often here and bugs me. People like to disparage things they aren't into instead of just leaving it as "to each their own" and moving on. A little tact can go a long ways when discussing a coin that you're personally not a fan of.

Whether that's with toners (the most common culprit as it's a very polarizing topic) or different series or US vs. World, etc. etc.

I've said it before I'm not a fan of probably the most popular series here for collectors: Lincolns. You know which Lincolns I love? The ones that the owners here post about and are excited about and personally love to own. You love it? Then I do too.

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

The final price (with buyer's fee) was 1,677.50.
    It sold on GreatCollections which has been gaining quite a following among toned coin collectors.
    While the price was higher than what I was willing to pay, I understand the premium. Some might not like the pattern or the colors, but plenty of people do. Plus, a colorful 1921 Morgan is much more difficult to find than almost any other date (especially if one only looks at the "common" dates). This is by far the nicest 1921 that I have seen and multiple others must have felt that way in order to raise the final price.

Anyways, @IBetASilverDollar is the closest with a $1,600 guess.
    You now have 24 hours to post the next toned coin, pass the right to another member of your choosing, or let the clock expire and have someone else post.

7. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

You're right, my comment sounded snooty and I apologize.

But there is a point behind it. I put "love" in quotes for a reason. Often, people have no idea why they "like" something—or even if they like it all that much. Our tastes are learned. Often, a person will like an attribute (or attributes) of something and confuse this with liking the whole. If "marble" is good and "gold" is good, then having lots of expensive marble and gold fixtures in a bathroom must be really good! Never mind that the result looks tacky and ostentatious.

My comment touched a nerve in you, which means you are sensitive about your tastes. Join the club; we all are (whether we like to think so or not). No one likes to have his sense of taste insulted.

So let me ask, what do you like about this coin's toning? Other than the fact that it is toned? And will my opposing view (and others') challenge you to reconsider your impression of it?

Our tastes grow when we question our own judgement.

(And let me say that I find this to be an interesting coin, particularly since it's a '21. I just don't find the toning to be especially attractive.)

8. IBetASilverDollar

I'll post one up when I get home later on, are you looking for auction results or is a buy it now toner okay?

No worries. I just took it in a condescending way after several voiced their opinion they liked it as if their opinions were no good. I understand your overall point though its valid for sure. I just get bugged seeing people here sometimes act like their way is the only way to collect not that you were saying that.

Why do I like this one? Im the wrong person to ask haha. I have weird taste when it comes to toners. Its great though cause I often get the non desireable ones at discounts cause no one else wants them. This coin in OP is just a wild one and that paired with being a 21 would have me put in about as big a premium as I ever would on a coin. Of course in this instance I would still fall 1200 short.

oval_man likes this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The buyer stole it for only $1600

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Buy-it-now is perfectly acceptable.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

That could well be true. It might not be the quickest flip, but I'm sure that the buyer could resell it in time (or maybe even had a buyer already lined up). Or maybe it was someone picking it up for their collection who got a good price for a difficult toner date.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The pattern probably held it back a bit. Legend probably would have gotten over 2k for it judging from the Sunnywood prices

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I said. I would only Pay about 200 for it, yes the colors are unbelievable, yet I am one that likes colors that transition slowly from one to another, and not so abrupt.

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The pattern is inconsequential with that kind of neon rainbow on a 21, not to mention the majority being emerald green.

15. IBetASilverDollar

Okay here's the next one. Feel like I've seen a lot of 1883-O's with interesting color so that was my search and picked this one.

Sold in the last few months. 1883-O in PCGS MS63. Run of the mill ones will go for $60 or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab at $175

17. Dough

Dough My brain is open

63 is a tough sell any day of the week. I wouldn't think over $100.

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

Nice example! It's not a monster, but still attractive with a few popular colors. The bag marks make it representative for the grade (not an upgrade candidate).

I will guess $135

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

That one has an average spread of $90-150 depending on circumstances

20. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

I would also lean towards $100, but I think the photos held it back a bit.

21. totally

totally Active Member

I have no idea, but I will guess $169.61.

Draft saved Draft deleted