The Toning Premium Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'll bump my guess up to $120

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Ill bump my guess up $100
    So> $101 :D

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll go $85.00 on the revision.

5. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

6. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Anyone else?

8. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Right. So I found this coin at a coin show...the last day, in the afternoon, pretty much just dealers walking around chatting with other dealers. It had $90 on its 2x2 and I asked to see it. I asked how much he thought was fair for it and it dropped to 80. After a little more work I was able to drop it down to $60 and was very happy with the deal. It wasn't the 64 Large motto I was looking for, but being 2c weren't that popular there I felt that it was the right score.
    That said, I'd like to give an honorable mention to @jtlee321 for nailing it before the revision, but since they stuck with $55 @KSorbo is our winner.
    Thanks @ddddd this is a really fun idea. I'm also glad that I saw such high hits from the group. I feel even better about the buy now. Thanks all!

ddddd likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Nice work on securing the deal @moneycostingmemoney !

Points Table
    IBetASilverDollar - 3 Points
    ddddd - 3 Points
    Beefer518 - 1 Point
    baseball21 - 1 Point
    brg5658 - 1 Point
    Volante - 1 Point
    jtlee321 - 1 Point
    moneycostingmemoney - 1 Point
    KSorbo - 1 Point

@KSorbo you're up next...

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  10. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Since I've already been up to bat is there someone else who would like to go?

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe @heavycam.monstervam was interested...well now is your chance!

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  12. jtlee321

Darn, I should have stuck to my guns. :) I thought maybe we were all guessing low since you came back with the change to add in the $75.00 gray sheet. LOL Next time I'll just follow my gut instinct. :p

13. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Man, I went really high, but that's cause I have a weak spot for 2¢ pieces (yeah, that's the ticket!).

14. moneycostingmemoney

And I honestly felt bad after I posted the correction and saw your post before it. I thought man...I hope he doesn't think I didn't want him to win lol.

jtlee321 likes this.
  15. moneycostingmemoney

I'm a softy for the 2c as well and the shields in general. It led me into buying a few of the nickels. I really do like the 2c, but after the one I posted here I hadn't found any good opportunities to buy more. They just aren't out there like the Morgans, Lincolns, etc. The same for the 3c. I mean they're out there, but you really really have to dig to find something you'll be proud of at a decent price. I appreciate your valuation, along with the other high marks, because it validates the fact that I made a good purchase. I think, for me anyway, toning is a bonus to what you already like. It doesn't make the coin, but it makes it a whole lot purdier.

16. jtlee321

No worries man. I'm comforted that my first instinct was correct, that's enough for me. :)

17. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Lets do a two-fer. The closest guess to the grand total will be the winner.
    Coin-1 pcgs ms65 1958d washington quarter
    Coin-2 anacs ms62 1900 indian head cent
    Numismedia lists the washington @ $25
    Numismedia lists the indian cent @ $42
    How much $ total did i pay for these?? 20170720_195514.jpg 20170720_194549.jpg 20170412_140801.jpg 20170412_140352.jpg
    Keep in mind, that, my crappy photos make the washington quarter look washed out AND it is completely toned on the obverse. The areas that look white are actually light blue, and the obverse is more vivid/neon in hand

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    moneycostingmemoney and ddddd like this.
  18. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'll say you got a great deal at $20 +$30 = $50

The quarter looks like it really pops on the obverse. However, my experiences have been that quarters don't draw the large premiums unless it is a neon monster.

The Indian Head has the purple that one sees on various cents, which is fairly popular. It looks a bit undergraded at 62. Some may scoff at the Anacs holder, leading to a lower price, but plenty will appreciate it.

Two nice coins overall!

19. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

21. moneycostingmemoney

Draft saved Draft deleted