Featured The Thunderstruck One: Marcus Aurelius Carus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I would like to get a Nigrinian and one has been on my watch list for some time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

FE-251 OBV.jpg FE-251 REV.jpg
    AE ANTONINIANUS minted at Siscia during the reign of Carus between 282-283 A.D. Obv. IMP.C.M.AVR.CARVS.P.F.AVG. Radiate, draped bust right. Rev. PROVIDENTIA.AVG. Providentia standing left, holding globe and scetre.
    RICV #105.

4. Joseph_8314

Joseph_8314 Member

I do not have any coins of Carus (yet), but I do have another interesting anecdote about him, aside from the one about being struck by lightning. In his speech to Emperor Arcadius on kingship, the philosopher Synesius said the following about how Carus (erroneously referred to as being Carinus, but judging on how the emperor is described, and the fact that Carinus did not conduct any campaigns in the East, it is certainly Carus) dealt with an embassy of the Sassanids:
    "[1081] It is said, then, that a certain monarch of those days was leading an expedition against the Parthians, who had behaved towards the Romans in an insulting manner. Now when they had reached the mountain frontiers of Armenia, before entering the enemy country, he was eager to dine, and gave orders to the army to make use of the provisions in the supply column, as they were now in a position to live off the neighboring country should it be necessary. He was then pointing out to them the land of the Parthians. Now, while they were so engaged, an embassy appeared from the enemy lines, thinking on their arrival to have the first conversation with the influential men who surrounded the king, and after these with some dependants and gentleman ushers, but supposing that only on a much later day would the king himself give audience to the embassy.

[1084] However, it turned out somehow that the king was dining at the moment [...] and it was in such guise, they say, that Carinus was seen by the embassy. A tunic dyed in purple was lying on the grass, and for repast he had a soup of yesterday's peas, and in some bits of salted pork that had grown old in the service.

Now when he saw them, according to the story, he did not spring up, nor did he change anything; but called out to these men from the very spot and said that he knew that they had come to see him, for that he was Carinus; and he bade them tell the young king that very day, that unless he conducted himself wisely, he might expect that the whole of their forest and plain would be in a single month barer than the head of Carinus. And as he spoke, they say that he took off his cap and showed his head, which was no more hairy than the helmet lying at his side. And he gave them leave if they were hungry to attack the stew-pot with him, but if not in need, he ordered them to depart at once, and to leave the Roman lines, as their mission was at an end.

Now it is said that when these messages were reported to the rank and file and to the leader of the enemy, namely all that had been seen and heard, at once -as might have been expected- shuddering and fear fell upon everyone at the thought of fighting men such as these, whose very king was neither ashamed of being king [1085] nor of being bald, and who, offering them a stew-pot, invited them to share his meal. And their braggart king arrived in a state of terror and was ready to yield in everything, he of the tiara and robes, to one in a simple woolen tunic and cap."
    [Synesius, On Imperial Rule 12]
    Apparently, he could even terrify his enemies even while talking about his baldness, and eating peas!

5. Bibsherr

Bibsherr New Member

hello looking for some help in identifying this coin. if anyone could help or let me know what feed is best to go to.
    thank you
    bibs

Attached Files:

6. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

That looks like a bronze of Marcus Aurelius. Someone should give it it´s own thread.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  7. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I’ve always liked that story too. It is also in the Carus section of Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire I believe.

8. ancient coin hunter

Yeah, I remember Gibbon telling that story.

9. Jims Coins

FE-251 OBVP.jpg FE-251 REVP.jpg
    updated pictures of Carus
    PROVIDENTIA.AVG. Struck at Siscia.

10. Jims Coins

11. ancient coin hunter

Thanks @Jims Coins ! I just acquired a Carus tet of Alexandria. I'll post it here as soon as it arrives.

Jims Coins likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Excellent pictures!

Opinion: When dealing with later reports from Historia Augusta etc. we must take anything said as evidence but not necessarily fact. Merging of facts from two people under one name and complete fabrications are possible. We can not take the word of any historian as unquestionable fact but an offset of centuries allows too much opportunity for things like George Washington cutting the cherry tree and throwing the dollar. Maybe he did.

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Finally took a photo:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 1.45.15 PM.jpg
    Ticinum, RIC 81 (So not eastern... I had misremembered the mint as being Antioch)

14. ancient coin hunter

I wonder why "K" was used instead of "C" for Carus.

15. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I was assuming a Greek engraver; that's why I had misremembered the mint as Antioch. Of course it's still possible there were Greek speaking engravers at Ticinum (Pavia).

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

If Carus had traveled in a Ferrari F12 he would not have been struck by lightning. After all, cars channel the electric charge straight into the ground, creating a protective cage around the occupants.
    2017-ferrari-f12berlinetta-tdf.png

So let this be a lesson to the rest of you....if you are ever the Roman Emperor and you decide to invade Parthia, next time bring along your Ferrari and you'll be safe from Zeus taking a swipe at you...at least until you step out of the car to take a leak. What the heck, you are the emperor...let the servants handle that while you stay safe in your Ferrari.

And yeah, here is my coin of his....

2giWmJ84HeK7Hn5s9y9DBGw3oJ4Y6L.jpg
    Carus AD 282-283, AE Antoninianus (22mm, 3.24 gram) Rome
    IMP CARVS PF AVG; Rad. and cuir. bust r.
    IOVI VICTORI; in ex., KAB; Jupiter standing l. holding Victory on globe and sceptre, eagle before
    RIC 39

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted