The Three Trajans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Restitutor, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Trajan, the Optimus Princeps, the conqueror who led Rome to its greatest territorial extent seems a fitting emperor to create my first ever “mini collection” in numismatics. I did not set out to do this and only upon the acquisition of my third coin did I realize what had been achieved. I hope you’ll enjoy!

I’ll be presenting here 3 Trajan denarii, all from CNG, graded VF, EF, and what I gather is CNGs version of Mint State, “Lustrous. Choice EF”. So the mini collection is having attained one coin each of the same emperor across the three high ranking grades. I find it very interesting and rewarding to compare the details across the grades all from the same seller to notice the sometimes obvious and sometimes minor details that distinguish in the sellers view.

All my videos are recorded on an iPhone so I apologize the quality isn’t the best. Hopefully the new 12 Pro Max will rectify quality issues going forward once acquired! :snaphappy:

From left to right:

OBVERSE SIDE
    Trajan
    . AD 98-117. AR Denarius. (19mm, 3.25 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck circa AD 112-113. Laureate bust right, slight drapery. RIC II 266; Woytek 398b; RSC 648. Lightly toned, some faint hairlines. VF
    Ex Benito Collection

Trajan. AD 98-117. AR Denarius. (19mm, 3.28 g, 7h). Rome mint. Struck AD 111. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P, laureate head right, slight drapery on shoulder. RIC II 102; Woytek 347b; RSC 196. Lightly toned. EF. Sharp portrait.
    Ex Richard McAlee Collection

Trajan*. AD 98-117. AR Denarius. (19mm, 3.15 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck 20 February-circa autumn AD 116. Laureate and draped bust right. RIC II 345; Woytek 553v; RSC 280. Lustrous. Choice EF.
    Ex Grand Haven Collection

REVERSE SIDE
    Trajan
    . AD 98-117. AR Denarius. (19mm, 3.25 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck circa AD 112-113. VIA TRAIANA in exergue, the Via Traiana reclining left on rock outcropping, head right, supporting wheel set on knee and holding branch. RIC II 266; Woytek 398b; RSC 648. Lightly toned, some faint hairlines. VF
    Ex Benito Collection

Trajan
    . AD 98-117. AR Denarius. (19mm, 3.28 g, 7h). Rome mint. Struck AD 111. COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC, Pax standing left, holding cornucopia and setting fire to pile of arms to lower left; PAX in exergue. RIC II 102; Woytek 347b; RSC 196. Lightly toned. EF. Sharp portrait.
    Ex Richard McAlee Collection

Trajan. AD 98-117. AR Denarius. (19mm, 3.15 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck 20 February-circa autumn AD 116. Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopia. RIC II 345; Woytek 553v; RSC 280. Lustrous. Choice EF.
    Ex Grand Haven Collection

Please post any Trajan coins or any mini collections you have formed over time!

*Interestingly the CNG description didn’t list out the inscription around the bust so I’m including it here because I think it’s all of Trajan's greatest hits since it was minted near the end of his life. I’m basing this off what my eyes can see, please let me know of any errors: IMP CAES NER TRAIAN OPTIMO AUG GER DAC PARTHICO.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Very nice! Are you sure that the inscription isn't intended to be read as "TRAIAN OPTIMO" rather than "TRAIANO PTIMO"? I can't see the inscription on your coin well enough to read it, but the only Trajan I have with "Optimo" in the legend actually has two consecutive "o's," as in "TRAIANO OPTIMO."

4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Nice collection Restitutor, congrats

Here's another one:

P1150077.JPG

5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

The coins are excellent. I don't think video is better than photos for things that don't move, or are not at least pictured from various angles. I'd like to see regular photos of those three splendid coins.

6. Restitutor

I was curious about that myself, and just made a guess for the post, ha! This one only has the one “o” in what I imagine is an attempt to save space and there’s no distinct increase in space between the “n” and “o” or the “o” and “p” so it’s like this: T R A I A N O P T I M O. In that case then, it’s meant to be read as TRAIAN OPTIMO? Good to know, thank you!

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  7. Restitutor

Thanks! Really like those early Trajan/Nerva blend portraits, it’s a great coin! Need to snag one at some point

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

dandy coins and kool vid too..:)..i guess i'm down to just one at the moment in silver
    ... freeze frame.jpg ..haha..i'm wif ya on the pics Warren..:)

+VGO.DVCKS and Restitutor like this.
  9. ominus1

..i love those transition types also...the only one i ever got broke while taking it out of the holder it came in.. broke! trajan concordia 002.JPG ...

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I also have fondness for the early portraits resembling Nerva.
    rc1630b00122lg.jpg rc1640b01199lg.jpg

Showing that Trajan was not forgetful of his roots, we have the type honoring his birth father.
    rc1707fd1523.jpg

11. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Very nice coins !
    You have to remove the ''O'' after OPTIM , ....there wasn't enough space to add the ''PARTHICO'' title at the end of previous obverse legend , so they removed two ''O'' letters and decreased the font size

IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC
    IMP CAES NER TRAIAN OPTIM AVG GER DAC PARTHICO (your legend)

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have a couple dozen Trajan coins but this one is the highest grade specimen in my collection:

[​IMG]

Trajan, AD 98-117
    Roman AR denarius; 2.95 gm, 20 mm
    Rome, AD 114-117
    Obv: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC, laureate and draped bust, right
    Rev: P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R, Mars walking right with spear and trophy
    Refs: RIC 337; BMCRE 536-40; Cohen 270; RCV --; Woytek 520v; Strack 230; BN 819.

13. ominus1

well, of the four i had, i still have this one in my posession(and know where it is:p) Marcus Aurelius- Trajan denarii 003.JPG Marcus Aurelius- Trajan denarii 004.JPG

14. singig

singig Well-Known Member

the third one (Felicitas) has the short obverse legend with TRAIANO OPTIMO

Trajan Denarius. RIC 266
    TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS VI PP, laureate head rt /
    SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, goddess reclining left on rocks with wheel & branch, VIA TRAIANA in ex.
    trj103.jpg

Trajan Denarius. RIC 102
    IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP, laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder /
    COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC, PAX below, Pax standing left with cornucopiae, setting fire to pile of arms on left with short torch.
    trj64.jpg

Trajan AR Denarius , RIC 343
    IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC, laureate draped bust right /
    P M TR P COS VI P P SPQR, Felicitas standing front, head left, holding caduceus & cornucopiae.
    trj127-1.jpg

15. Restitutor

Ask and you shall receive!

1302CFB7-3042-43DA-92C5-30D7AB4A31A1.jpeg 798E58B8-2353-46FB-BCD0-22FFE0B14B41.jpeg

16. Restitutor

Thank you so much! Upon further examination you are 100% correct there is no O at the end of OPTIM either! I wonder, though at the same time find it not super surprising, that PARTHICO was the only non shortened word on the legend. Perhaps a way of Trajan saying the conquests in Parthia were what he viewed as most important in his reign to be remembered for posterity and contemporarily?

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and singig like this.
  17. Restitutor

Oooh I’ve never seen that last style before! The itch is back to snag another Trajan now, what will my better half (and wallet!) say :hilarious:

18. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I think it was just to mark that event ,
    after the conquest of Dacia he also used the non shortened title DACICVS :
    IMP NERVA TRAIANVS AVG GER DACICVS
    IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM DACICVS P M

I have one interesting COS IIII (the others are COS V), this coin has been struck at the end of the first Dacian war in the last months of the year 102.

Trajan As , RIC - unpublished
    IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM DACICVS P M Head of Trajan, laureate, right/
    TR P VII IM(P) IIII COS IIII DES V P P . Victory, draped, alighting with right foot on globe left, holding up wreath in right hand and trophy in left.
    trj69.jpg

19. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Here are four sestertii of Trajan, all relatively common ; a dupondius, and lastly, a denarius.

3Bj698Sr9DkQwq7JGye5dL4H4gP2y6.jpg 8t2ReNM5Ya68c9zE7XwaNix2o4TyXF.jpg bm4T7Nw8Y6CeZd2PK7wjrZx9o5G56M.jpg m48404.jpg Yy4zM9EoSn2bCZc65rKG3Bz7X3ibRH.jpg Cjg3Q2TtBsy7Lx9H5Sm7NwR84zRbTf.jpg

20. Restitutor

Superb quality! This is a portrait match with my new one (furthest right) I believe? And looks like yours has the TRAIANO and OPTIMO fully written out, no confusing abbreviations there :) Mars is always intimidating, love it.

21. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Restitutor.....Three beautiful coins! My favourite is the VIA TRAIANA...But also find the flow lines on the PAX pretty cool!....Congrats...
    Here's my Spaniard...
    Trajan AR Denarius 98-117AD 20mm/2.66gr (Minted 103-111AD)
    Obverse-IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder
    Reverse-COS VPPS PQR OPTIMO PRINC Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae...RIC II# 118
    had black.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted