The Three Graces

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, May 30, 2015.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I received this black and tan beauty in the mail this week. I was totally hooked by its colouring, condition, and Three Graces reverse. I've wanted the type for awhile now and thought this was quite a standout example, so was extremely pleased when I didn't get Clio'ed on it :).

Please feel free to share your coins that show the Three Graces or any other divine trios.

upload_2015-5-30_23-44-41.png
    COMMODUS
    AE25
    7.69g, 25mm
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis, circa 177 - 192 AD
    Hristova & Jekov 6.10.26.4 (this coin illustrated); RPC IV online 4319; Varbanov 702 corr. (direction of heads).
    O: ΑΥ ΚΑΙ Λ ΑΥΡΗ ΚΟΜΟΔΟС, Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛƐΙΤΩΝ, the Three Graces standing facing, heads left, right, and right, respectively: the left holds amphora over dolphin, the center drapes arms over others, and the right holds wreath over amphora.
    Ex Dr. George Spradling Collection
    Ex Alexandre de Barros Collection

NOTES:
    Called the Charites by the Greeks, and the Gratiae by the Romans, the Three Graces were minor goddesses of beauty, abundance and gaiety. Depending on who you read, their names, origins and numbers will differ, but Hesiod's version is the most prevalent - they were daughters of Zeus, attendants of Aphrodite, Apollo, and Dionysus, and they numbered three. If, like me, you're bad with Greek names, then you're likely to forget these in about 2 minutes and will be better off remembering the Graces by their respective spheres of influence. They were Aglaia (hotness), Thalia (partying) and Euphrosyne (giggles). In a nutshell, the Graces were delightful beings, there to touch the acts of gods and men with a little splendor, charm and delight.

Orchomenos in Boeotia, where they were originally worshipped in the form of aniconic aeroliths, or meteors, was famous for its cult and festivals of the Graces. Their cult images later showed them as clothed women, but the depiction of the Graces continued to change, and by the late 4th century BC they were commonly seen as three young, comely, naked females with their arms linked around each other.

Oddly, the Three Graces were largely absent on coins until the 2nd century AD, when they became fairly common at a number of provincial mints in Cilicia and Thrace. They can also be found with some frequency on coins from other provincial cities, such as Marcianopolis (in Moesia Inferior), Decapolis (in Syria), and Nicaea (in Bithynia). The form of their depiction on the coins typically follows those of contemporary sculptures of the time.

upload_2015-5-30_23-46-11.png
    The Three Graces
    17th century restoration of a 2nd century AD copy of a 2nd century BC original

There seems to be some distinction made by catalogers and scholars between coins that show the Three Graces and those that show trios of local water divinities described as Three Nymphs. Their poses can be similar (or even the same), but from what I can tell, the Three Graces are usually but not always depicted nude, and sometimes carrying wreaths, grain ears, branches, water jugs. The Three Nymphs are usually but not always shown clothed, typically carrying water jugs. If the distinctions seem a little mixed up and grey to you, well, they do to me too. Nor does it help at all that the Three Graces seem to also have been associated with water and springs. When faced with numismatic conundrums such as this, I find that the best course of action is to just forget about them and look at the pretty coin again :D.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    R*L, dlhill132, monetarium and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

That is a cracking coin, the type has always gone to a higher bidder when I have tried

zumbly likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a beauty! Congrats

zumbly likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A very envy-inducing coin!

:D

zumbly and Pishpash like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Wonderful coin. Gorgeous! Stupendous!! And whatever other adjective applies?

zumbly likes this.
  7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

That's a very nice coin. Well done and well scored. Maybe I'll get one of those one day. lol

zumbly likes this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Good catch and write up
    Thx for sharing

Q

zumbly likes this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

An exceptional coin! Those are some skinny Graces (just how I like 'em). :)

Nicholas Molinari, Sallent and zumbly like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

"The Skinny Graces"... good name for a band?

Ancientnoob and stevex6 like this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A naked girl band, yes. I like it.

Alegandron, stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Yes got one from Caracalla from Gadara.
    three nice ladies below the eagle.
    Have a nice weekend all !! IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0074.JPG

dlhill132, Cucumbor, Sallent and 13 others like this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Bing used up all my adjectives---and me without a Thesaurus!!!
    Fantastic coin, zumbly, and Cyrrhus' small trio is Terrific too!

No 'menage a trois' for yours truly:hungry:---but I can still dream about it......Of course, I mean the Three Graces coin!!:rolleyes:

zumbly likes this.
  15. zumbly

Thanks for the coinpliments, everyone. Yeah, they are a tad thin, aren't they. I guess that's how they liked them in Marcianopolis?

Oh, and Nice little trio on that Gadara, Cyrrhus... makes the coin extra special! Thanks for sharing it.

16. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Any music videos from them I could watch? Ya know, for science... :)
    Really nice provincial Zumbly!

stevex6 and zumbly like this.
  17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, that is AWESOME Z...great color, great details, great portrait, great honeyz on the back. i've been looking for a 3 graces coin and it just hasn't worked out yet, it's hard to find one i can afford where the girls look like...well, girls and not 3 slightly elevated worn areas.

zumbly likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That Commodus is an outstanding coin!

Caracalla Pautalia, Thrace, AE32, showing the middle grace from the rear more clearly because the centration mark was not perfectly centered. This type needs a big coin to do it justice.

gi1310bb2100.jpg
    Gordian III, Marcianopolis, AE24
    gi2000bb1913.jpg

R*L, dlhill132, TJC and 14 others like this.
  19. zumbly

Thanks, that Caracalla is excellent! I love that the Graces on it are less waifish than on my coin, and agree that the placement of the centration dimple allows the middle Grace to show that it's all about that bass :D.

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Fantastic coin!

zumbly likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Z-Bro => congrats on a fantastic triple-chick coin!! (it's awesome)

:rolleyes:

=> well, I admit that I don't have three pretty nude ladies, but I do have this trio ...

=> Serapis and the Dioscuri

ANTONINUS PIUS, Alexandria, Bronze Drachm
    138-161 AD
    Egypt, Alexandria, year 8, (144-145AD)
    Diameter: 33mm
    Weight: 23.15 grams
    Obverse: Laureate bust of Antoninus Pius facing right
    Reverse: Serapis wearing the modius between the Dioscuri, LH in exergue

Antoninus Pius Alexandrian Three Peeps a.jpg Antoninus Pius Alexandrian Three Peeps b.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted