The Thomas Jefferson Coinage And Currency Sets

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BR549, May 16, 2010.

1. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

These US Mint produced sets commemorate Thomas Jefferson's birth, April 13, 1743, and pays tribute to his enduring legacy of freedom in America.These sets contain a uncirculated 1993 Thomas Jefferson 250th Anniversary Silver Dollar, a uncirculated 1994 Thomas Jefferson matte finish nickel and lastly, a crisp uncirculated 1976 Jefferson Two Dollar Bill.

[​IMG]

The 1993 Thomas Jefferson Silver Dollar was actually issued in 1994 although the coins are dated 1993. The commemorative coins were issued to celebrate the 250th anniversary of Thomas Jefferson's birth. Only the silver dollar coin was issued with a maximum authorized mintage of 600,000 coins, which were all produced and sold.
    The obverse of the coin features a profile image of Thomas Jefferson, which was based on a Gilbert Stuart portrait. The reverse features a view of Thomas Jefferson's home Monticello. Both sides of the coin were designed by T. James Ferrell.

The obverse inscriptions include "Thomas Jefferson", "Architect of Democracy", "In God We Trust", "Liberty", and the dual date "1743" and "1993". The reverse inscriptions read "United States of America", "Monticello", "E Pluribus Unum", and the denomination "One Dollar". ). In my estimations, the uncirculated coins are worth more than the proof coin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Jefferson Commemorative Silver Dollar was minted in proof at the San Francisco Mint and uncirculated condition at the Philadelphia Mint. In addition to individual coin sales, the US Mint offered a special Coin & Currency Set which contained the commemorative silver dollar, a 1994 Jefferson Nickel with a matte proof finish, and a $2 bill. This set sold 167,703 units and was priced at $34.00 during the pre-issue discount period and $39.00 during regular pricing.

Mintage: 266,927 Business strike
    Mintage: 332,891 Proof coinage

Composition 90% Silver 10% Copper

Philadelphia ("P") appears on the reverse of the un circulated coin
    San Francisco (S) Pr. Appears on the proof specimen
    [​IMG]

-1994 Jefferson

In most cases where sets have remained in tacked, the reverse of the Jefferson have completely toned and most of the commemorative dollars are rim toned. It is said that the material used to package these coins is the contributing factor for a one sided tone. SP Jefferson nickels removed early from these packages are tone free and command a premium over the toned counter parts. To me, the tone just adds to the uniqueness of the coin, just as long as it does not turn black.

Mintage, 167,000

ICG calls them “Matte” and uses MS designator with numerical code, thye also denote FS
    ANACS calls them “Matte Finish” but uses MS designator for numerical grade.
    NGC calls them “Specimen” and uses SP in conjunction with the numerical grate.
    PCGS calls them “Special Mint Set” and uses SMS in conjunction with numerical grade, this company also denotes if they are FS (Full Step) which is an automatic on this coin.

Note: every matte finish Jefferson Nickel will come with FS (Full Steps) so if a seller is touting this fact, it’s nothing but hype.
    -
    The $2 Bill

[​IMG]

In 1976, the Treasury Department reintroduced the $2 bill as a cost-saving measure and as part of the United States Bicentennial celebration. The note was redesigned and issued as a Federal Reserve Note. The obverse featured the same portrait of Jefferson, a green instead of red seal and serial numbers, and an engraved rendition of John Trumbull's The Declaration of Independence on the reverse. In all, 590,720,000 notes from Series 1976 were printed. That’s a staggering number of notes and is the reason they are not heavily collected.
    [​IMG]

In closing, I have seen these sets sell for as low as $49.95 and as high as $105.00 These make great gifts to YN’s or any child that is studying US History in school.

Note: The companion to this set is the 1997 U.S. Botanic Gardens Coinage & Currency Set 25,000 sets

Mike Davis and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Two sets that every collector should have in their collection. The 1994 & 1997 listed above. Both sets are well under priced due to the minatages of the Jefferson nickel alone. **** note the 1997 Botanic Garden set is the only set that the 97 matte finish comes. The 1997 prestige mint set has the unc nickel . Thus the mintage is only 25,000 total

jello likes this.
  4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice write up - I have one with a $2 star note in it.

john65999 and Ethan like this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Excellent write up BR549. As a collector of "moderns" I applaud you....:smile

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

This is a really good post and I agree that the coins when stored in the original packaging take on a quite attractive toning scheme.

7. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I flipped my packaging and put it back in the case so the nickel would tone on both sides.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Really nice write up. I bought three from the mint but totally missed the 1997 set.
    Of course the 97 nickel ended up being the high dollar one.

9. Great write-up. I am surprised that these sets have not appreciated even more than they have so far. Collectors are well aware of the limited mintages of the nickels. Maybe they have peaked? Maybe people are unsure about the satin-finished coins? I do like both sets though, but especially the Jefferson. TC

10. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Really nice post. Can't beat the toning on the reverse of the nickel on that set.

11. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Man I should of did that.

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

this is purely MHO, but I think that if people start to collect Jeffersons then the values will go up, but currently there are more of these nickels than collectors. BTW- I have one of each of these coins and I paid a premium for each of them.

13. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Never thought of that, how hard was it to get into the capsule?

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

They really are magnificent coins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full steps on both:goofer:

john65999 and jello like this.
  15. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Nice write up. You'd have my vote for thread of the week if it was still around. Takes a lot of time to write some of this stuff up thanks for sharing.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You could always try this, read here - http://www.cointalk.com/t107642/

17. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I just bent the page the other way and slid the whole thing back in its case.

18. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Oh, I got ya, simple.

19. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Just picked up another one of these sets for $28.

20. slush

slush Junior Member

Very nice! Where if I might ask did you find that deal, was it local to you?

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh you devil......:smile

Must o' been in the right lace at the right time 'cause I don't see these things go for less than $35-$40.

Draft saved Draft deleted