The Teyler Museum and its coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, Sep 18, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

https://www.teylersmuseum.nl/en/collection/coins-and-medals-overview

I was going to post this under the Netherlands world coins section, but I decided this might be a better section since it is not specifically about Nethland coins.

I once ran to Harlem from Amsterdam when traveling, in order to see the Frans Halls Museum. On the way, never being to Harlem before, I saw pamphlets on the Teyler Museum but ignored it because it seems to be of no interest. I couldn't have been wrong. The museum is uniquely fascinating, historical, and has superb artifacts, which include a nice collection of coins!

The core collection was donated by Pieter Teyler van der Hulst, a Mennonite businessman who is worthy of discussion in of itself.

The museum also sports an Archaeopteryx specimen, which in of itself makes it a must go to stop for one an all. But its coins are spectacular!

Pieter Teyler's personal coin had 1,623 coins that anchor the collection.

https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.n...kcze9aI5Yg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA

https://www.google.com/books/editio...n_Haarlem_and_Its_B/2KUPEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

https://www.worldcat.org/title/high...ory-collections-and-buildings/oclc/1040908483

https://goldducats.com/collections/teylers-museum-numismatic-cabinet/

kountryken and Parthicus like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks for sharing. :)

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm glad to hear the museum is open again, it was closed for a long time, and long before 2020. I've never been there myself but a few years ago I did help write an article specifically about Teyler's and the Netherlands gold ducats in their collection. The article was quite involved and quite lengthy and it was about tests done on the coins, tests that had never been done before by anyone on a collection so extensive.

What the museum did was to take all of the Netherlands gold ducats they had and test them, using non invasive modern equipment and methods, to see if the coins did indeed measure to the standards for purity (.986 fineness) and weight established centuries ago, and continues to this day. The standards that made the Netherlands gold ducat as famous as it is and always was. And the most widely and readily accepted coin in the world.

Short and sweet every single coin did measure up, even those minted from day one in 1586, every coin met the standards that made the Netherlands the trade capital of the world for centuries.

5. charley

charley Well-Known Member

....and the Netherlands did such a good job with that tulips thing.....

6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

And yet, @GDJMSP you didn't give us a pointer to the article... You can't just throw random interesting stuff out there like it's spaghetti tossed at the wall...

7. Burton Strauss III

Actually, they just grew them, weren't most of the mad dogs buying them English?

charley likes this.
  8. charley

Yes, my point, BUT the entire episode is misunderstood, and the plague thing and recovery didn't make them shy about wampum schemes and keeping up that good old Hapsburg the yellow stuff belongs to me spirit.

It is not about being the trade capitol, it is how. Should have stuck with cloth.

That whole Dutch East India thing still leaves a funny taste on the world.

(insert smiley thingy)

ATTICA ATTICA!!

9. charley

I am also a fan of humblebrag and incomplete history about stuff.

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

that is very cool

11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

If you mean a link to the article, there isn't one. It was published in the Dutch Numismatic Society annual yearbook a few years ago. And to the best of my knowledge that's the only place once could ever find it.

13. Burton Strauss III

14. GDJMSP

And as your first link tells you, the last 3 editions (2018 is the one you'd need) cannot be downloaded. But the link does list the article.

Burton Strauss III and cplradar like this.
  15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

do you have copyright?

16. Burton Strauss III

Only 15 Euros

cplradar likes this.
  17. GDJMSP

No, the copyright belongs to Dariusz Jasek.

cplradar likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

I'm not sure on this but I think you have to be a member of the society to purchase from them. That said it should be easy to contact them and ask.

cplradar likes this.
  19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

ANd here I thought you were Dariusz

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

No, I was his teacher and mentor. And when we wrote all the articles and book, I was his editor - which means I took all his thoughts and ideas, added my own thoughts and ideas, and put them into conversational English - because English is not his native language.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Doug is interesting. He needs to continue typing

Draft saved Draft deleted