Featured The Tetrarchies and the London Mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That's quite sensible. I just hope you don't get inundated with PMs from persons simply looking to take advantage of your kindness. I've seen coin madness manifest itself in pretty disappointing ways.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but its pretty annoying that there's suddenly like 2 or 3 brand new members whenever there's a coin giveaway on here, and also those members that only make like 1 post a year suddenly appear and it happens to be in a giveaway thread.

Orfew, zumbly, Ajax and 3 others like this.
  4. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

An addendum to that post:
    I had to cut it short because a friend of mine was honking outside my front gate -- we were off for a late breakfast and to see the movie "Dunkirk" which I thought was terrific: it brought memories flooding back for me! But, back on topic: I will continue to maintain a substantial collection of Tetrarchic coins. I will be gifting single coins from time to time to participants here. Recipients will be selected based somewhat on PM input from participants in this thread and my own perception of their sincerity and dedication. If anyone feels that is unfair, do not feel slighted -- I will spread the largesse around as much as I possibly can in order to give everyone that meets the selection criteria a shot.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    zumbly, Curtisimo, Ajax and 7 others like this.
  5. jamesicus

Well, this thread appears to have run its course and I really need to devote time to maintaining my web sites and pages -- and participation in other discussions. It has certainly been enjoyable for me and I hope it has been the same for everyone who has visited or participated in this thread. Please post any questions, comments, notifications of gift coin receipt, etc. here and via PMs -- I will visit Coin Talk from time to time and will respond whenever I do.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

The coin, and thread were much appreciated. Thanks!

Gavin Richardson and TIF like this.
  7. jamesicus

Here is a duplicate coin I found in my collection. I am offering it as a gift coin to participants in this thread. If you do not wish to be considered please PM me.

RIC, Volume VI, Londinium, Diocletian, No. 28a (gift coin)

RIC Volume VI, Londinium, Group I, (iii), folles, Class III, c. 303 onward, No. 23-39 - Large, spread, laureate bust, cuirassed and sometimes draped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG

GENIO POPVLI ROMANI

Unreduced follis
    9.7 gm.
    Later titulature

The above coin is somewhat worn. Here is my primary example for comparison:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  8. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

What a masterclass! Thanks a lot, sir!! :)

9. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Great! :singing::singing::singing::):singing::singing::singing:

10. jamesicus

Thank you @RAGNAROK -- this is the first time I have made the acquaintance of someone from Alba!

11. jamesicus

The coin goes to @ancient coin hunter -- congratulations!

12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

13. jamesicus

I have now read ..........

GALERIUS AND THE WILL OF DIOCLETIAN, William Lewis Leadbetter, Routledge, New York, (2013)

.......... for the second time. Despite its title, I think this highly acclaimed Biography/Historical Treatise offers the most detailed and accurate examination and explanation of the organization and function of the Diocletian inspired Tetrarchies.

After that re-read I have updated and re-written my Tetrarchic web page (particularly the Carnuntum Conference section) at:

http://jp29.org/ctet.htm

Inasmuch as the information on this web page relates to coinage of the Tetrarchies catalogued and described in THE ROMAN IMPERIAL COINAGE (RIC), Volume VI, I employ the Imperial name forms used in the headers by Sutherland here. The following depiction includes the alternate name forms frequently used by collectors, dealers and authors of historical texts and reference documents:

DIOCLETIAN ........................ (no other names commonly used)
    MAXIMIAN HERCULIUS ........ Maximianus, Herculius
    CONSTANTIUS .................... Constantius I, Constantius Chlorus
    GALERIUS MAXIMIAN ......... Galerius
    SEVERUS ............................. Severus II,
    MAXIMINUS .......................... Maximinus II, Maximinus Daia, Daza
    CONSTANTINE ..................... Constantine I, Constantinus
    MAXENTIUS .......................... (no other names commonly used)
    LICINIUS ................................ Licinius I, Licinius Licinianus

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  14. jamesicus

From my web page:

" .......... In the spring of 308 Maximian Herculius had a falling out with his son, Maxentius, and left to join his now son-in-law, Constantine, in Gaul. In the autumn of 308 Galerius Maximian organized and convened a conference at Carnuntum consisting of himself, Diocletian and Maximian Herculius to discuss and resolve the "Augusti problem". Diocletian was but a shadow of his former self, both mentally and physically, due to the severe illness that befell him in 304 and consequently Galerius Maximian "ran the show" -- he was now the dominant force in the Tetrarchy. Galerius Maximian did not recognize either Constantine or Maxentius as Augustus, proposing instead that his old friend and comrade, Flavius Valerius Licinianus Licinius (Licinius) be appointed Augustus of the West to replace the deceased Severus and he obtained the concurrence of Diocletian and Maximian Herculius in this maneuver. Maxentius was declared an enemy of the state by the conferees and Maximian Herculius once more went into retirement. Galerius Maximian proposed that Constantine be recognized as Caesar, although Constantine did not acquiesce.

Constantine was incensed at his proposed "demotion" to Caesar subservient to Licinius as was Maximinus at the elevation of Licinius to Augustus, and so Galerius Maximian designated both of them Filius Augustorum: "son of the Augustus" -- a somewhat empty title of convenience and compromise -- in an attempt to mollify them ..............."

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Excellent write up. May have to check out the book. The prices listed online dont seem unreasonable.

16. To learn that you've been collecting for the past sixty years just proves that even if you have practicing you hobby for a lifetime, a collection can never be complete and there is always more to learn.
    I've been a collector and researcher for fifty years, and always have the same excitement when making a new discovery or adding a new coin to my collection which I had when I first started my hobby when I was a child.

dlhill132, Valentinian, Orfew and 3 others like this.
  17. jamesicus

Thank you @randygeki. It is a good read.

randygeki likes this.
  18. jamesicus

Thank you for that nice response @Geoff Wall-Davis. There are so many different approaches and emphases for Ancient coin collectors -- after going down several different paths, I finally settled on Tetrarchic coins of the London mint and their historical associations.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  19. jamesicus

The following coin issue depicts Constantine as Caesar after the death of his father, Constantius, in 306 and subsequently being acknowledged as Caesar of the west by Galerius Maximian.

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 89b, Constantine as Caesar

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    FL VAL CONSTANTINIVS NOB C
    GENIO POP ROM (PLN)

Unreduced -- 9.3g
    Constantine as Caesar -- draped laureate bust, Genius with head towered and loins draped.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    randygeki, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  20. jamesicus

An update report based on the following earlier post of mine:

@ancient coin hunter was the winner and I mailed the coin to him forthwith. And here is when I ran into the only problem with my coin gift scheme .........

From an earlier post:

"I think it is the appropriate time to pause this thread. I have a few Tetrarchic associated coins that are surplus to my needs -- not all of them are London Mint folles, but they all have some historical association. I have always believed in "sharing the wealth" by giving surplus coins to fellow enthusiasts who would appreciate them and I have been looking for a way to do that here -- I think I have found it. The above users have demonstrated their enthusiasm by posting to this thread. So I say to each of them: If you would like to receive a free coin, please PM me your snail mail address and I will mail you a coin. Caveat: I no longer drive and therefor only mail from my home -- exclusively to United States addresses."

Well, that scheme worked very well up to the coin gift for @ancient coin hunter when my worst fears were realized -- the coin never showed up for @ancient coin hunter and hasn't to this date. We have corresponded back and forth via PM but it is now obvious that it is "lost in the mail" (stolen or miss-delivered, etc.?). I don't know how I am going to handle this with USPS, but I am going to mail a replacement gift coin to @ancient coin hunter this week.

randygeki likes this.
  21. jamesicus

I have incorporated the above information -- together with photos and descriptions of additional significant historically associated coins on my web page: Tetrarchic coinage of the London mint

I will appreciate all feedback on this updated web page.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    randygeki and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted