Featured The Tetrarchies and the London Mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats @jamesicus this thread is now on the home page. Peter pmd me.

randygeki likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Please post that your coin arrived safely when you receive it.

randygeki likes this.
  4. jamesicus

I was humbled by your suggestion ancient coin hunter -- thank you. As you note in your subsequent post, it is in fact now a featured article.

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

CT-GavinRichardson.jpg Okay, everyone is going to think that I’m making this up, but I swear it’s true.

So this summer I’m recataloguing my collection and switching all coins from flips to trays (Lighthouse coin boxes.) If I have a specialty, it’s Constantine. When I arranged my Constantine trays, I left one spot open for a particular coin: a Constantine Genio Pop Rom from London. That’s the empty space you see in the top left corner. No lie—it’s been empty for months.

I wanted to get this particular coin because, as I understand it, it’s among the first coins to announce Constantine as a major player on the world stage, with his father Constantius Chlorus just having died in July of 306.

So I go to my mailbox today and, lo and behold, @jamesicus has sent me this very coin as a marvelous gift! He had no way of knowing that I had been saving a spot for it in my tray. Indeed, I had “bookmarked” a version of this coin at the old Hookmoor VCoins site before Hookmoor left VCoins. I just never pulled the trigger. And I’m glad I didn’t. Not only is this a coin I had been coveting, but it is in wonderful condition. It’s difficult to photograph because it’s quite dark and lustrous.

This coin was struck sometime within a year of Constantius Chlorus’s death; RIC has ca. summer of 307. It depicts Constantine as Caesar even though Constantine initially flirted with his acclamation as Augustus. Perhaps this coin depicting him as Caesar was a way of showing Galerius that Constantine accepted his secondary position in the West—for now. I would also like to think that since Constantine was “Britain’s Emperor,” the London die engravers might have even seen the man face to face and thus given us a true portrait of him. Who knows.

At any rate, what a nice surprise! And what great calligraphy too! Thanks, @jamesicus, for your generosity. When I tell my students the story of Constantine’s rise to power, I will be using this coin to illustrate. And I’ll be sure to mention the lovely way I acquired it too.

Constantine I, as Caesar
    306-337 A.D.
    Struck ca. Summer 307
    AE (bronze) follis or nummus
    25.45 mm. [SURPRISINGLY BIG. I DIDN'T EXPECT THE COIN TO BE THIS LARGE]
    7.84 g.
    180°
    FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NOB C; laureate, cuirassed bust right.
    GENIO-POP ROM; Genius standing facing, towered head left, loins draped, patera in right hand, cornucopiae in left.
    PLN
    RIC VI Londinium 88b
    Gift of jamesicus
    7/24/2017
    Group II, Class III, London

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Mikey Zee, Volodya, Ajax and 13 others like this.
  6. jamesicus

What a great story Gavin! That coin was destined to come to you. And just think of this: Tomorrow is the 25th of July -- the day in 306 that Constantius died and conferred Imperium on his son, Constantinus. The coin arrived just in time to be in place in your collection on the anniversary of that event. How great is that?!

Volodya, RAGNAROK, Deacon Ray and 4 others like this.
  7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Yes indeed! The stars are aligned!

RAGNAROK likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you very very much. I received it today, but only could view it briefly. Had a family emergency, but will research it when things settle. Kindest Regards, Brian

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've already told you in another thread, but just to keep this one going, I received it today when I arrived home from Colorado. Glad to be home!!!!!!!!!

Theodosius likes this.
  10. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Great job @jamesicus ! Very impressed with the post and coins. My understanding of the tetrarchy has definitely improved. And while all of the coin types shown are desirable to me, after reading your post I particularly want examples of the abdication issue, Constantine I as Caesar, and the Maximian Senior Augustus follis. Plus I am reminded that I still need a Severus II so there is that as well. :D

11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Very nice post @jamesicus and congrats on becoming a featured article! Your above generosity is also really cool.

I am in the middle of writing an essay/write up about one of my recent tetrarch acquisitions so this was an extremely entertaining and enlightening read :) thank you!

12. jamesicus

Yes you did Bing -- thank you. And glad to have you back!

13. jamesicus

Thank you @ValiantKnight -- I am pleased that you found my post useful. The first three of your coin wants are not too hard to find, but Severus II as Caesar or Augustus is a tough one.

14. jamesicus

Thank you @Curtisimo for that very kind post. I will be on the lookout for your write-up.

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I received the coin today, though I was on my way to work so I wasn't able to photograph it til now. Thank you very much! I agree with Gavin, the calligraphy looks wonderful envelope. I'd love for all my flips look like that. I didn't realize we're neighbors (well distant ones), I actually used to live there.

IMG_2964.JPG

Constantine I
    A.D. 307- 310
    IMP CONSTANTINVS P AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right/ GENIO-POP ROM, Genius standing left, modius on head, holding patera and cornucopiae. In ex. PLN in ex
    RIC VI London 104

Mikey Zee, Curtisimo, Ajax and 7 others like this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Destiny, indeed! Obviously the coin was meant for you. Well gifted, @jamesicus... a generous gesture and another great CT story :).

17. ancient coin hunter

Fortune strikes again. Thank you for your generosity @jamesicus ! As it so happens the coin I received, a quarter follis of Constantius I from Siscia, fills a hole in my collection. I actually didn't have a Constantius in my collection. Last tetrarch I need is now Maxentius. I'll post a photo a bit later on today. I must compliment you on your beautiful calligraphy as well.

18. ancient coin hunter

Here's my example from @jamesicus

AE Quarter Follis
    Obverse: Bust of Constantius right, IMP C CONSTANTIVS PF AVG
    Reverse: Genius left, holding patera and cornucopia, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI
    Reference: RIC VI 167
    Mint: Siscia

constantius1.jpg

constantius2.jpg

19. jamesicus

@Gavin Richardson:
    You wrote:
    ".......... It’s difficult to photograph because it’s quite dark and lustrous .........."

Yes I agree, Gavin. I hope you don't mind, but here is a different photo of the coin:

[​IMG]

RIC Volume VI, Londinium, No. 88b

20. jamesicus

Thanks for posting that @ancient coin hunter - it looks very nice. And thank you for your very kind previous post.

21. jamesicus

Just FYI regarding my gifting of coins:

I don't think I am doing anything noble here. It is just that I want to help and encourage fellow enthusiasts and collectors who are interested in the type of coins I collect by giving them some interesting examples. I am old and soon my own collection will end up where? I don't know -- no one in my family including my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren are interested in my coins -- some of them may develop an interest later in their lives but I cannot wait for that (I will not be here anyway) -- I want to be sure my coins go to people who will appreciate and cherish them as I have cherished them. So I am trimming my collection (I will keep some precious ones) -- what better destination for my "surplus" coins than the dedicated members of this Forum. I don't need the money and I shudder at the thought of having to go through all the machinations of listing and selling them in auctions or on eBay. I will be gifting more coins in the future -- I will work out a system for equitable distribution to deserving members here with help from you all.

Draft saved Draft deleted