Featured The Tetrarchies and the London Mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Jul 19, 2017.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Thank you Alegandron. I started this collection specialty by chance. I had assembled a pretty good collection of Julio-Claudian Sestertii (including a nice Caligula "three sisters" example) when I spotted a super Galerius Maximian London Mint follis (RIC Volume VI, Londinium, No. 33 -- posted here a little while ago) on a dealer's table at a coin show -- I bought it, began reading about the Tetrarchs, got hooked and have stayed hooked ever since.

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

Thank you ach -- I like your tag line: "lost in history"!

4. jamesicus

@Bing @Mikey Zee @randygeki @Gavin Richardson @Alegandron @ancient coin hunter

I think it is the appropriate time to pause this thread. I have a few Tetrarchic associated coins that are surplus to my needs -- not all of them are London Mint folles, but they all have some historical association. I have always believed in "sharing the wealth" by giving surplus coins to fellow enthusiasts who would appreciate them and I have been looking for a way to do that here -- I think I have found it. The above users have demonstrated their enthusiasm by posting to this thread. So I say to each of them: If you would like to receive a free coin, please PM me your snail mail address and I will mail you a coin. Caveat: I no longer drive and therefor only mail from my home -- exclusively to United States addresses.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Theodosius, TIF, Mikey Zee and 5 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

6. jamesicus

I screwed up and hit the post button too quickly Bing -- please re-read my post.

7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That's very kind! A PM is on its way.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats very awesome of you, thanks!

11. jamesicus

I have mailed the coins to all of the above members. I only included basic information on the coin flip cards in the hope that each of you will research your coin in-depth and share the knowledge you gain here for our mutual benefit.

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks again! Thats very cool of you.

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coins, jamesicus! Great chronology of events.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  14. jamesicus

Thank you Deacon Ray. We all learn so much about the historical association of coins from each other on this excellent Forum. I appreciate your own contributions very much.

RAGNAROK and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, one of Harlan Berk's 100 Greatest Ancient Coins. Have you ever posted it on Cointalk?

16. jamesicus

No, I traded it many years ago. I will check my photo archives to see if I have a pic suitable for posting here.

17. jamesicus

The first reference book I bought that was dedicated to Roman Britain coins was:

The Coinage of Roman Britain by Gilbert Askew (Seaby Publications, London)

.......... in the early 1950s. It has been my faithful (and useful) companion throughout my collecting years. Although RIC, Volume VI has sperceded it as my primary London Mint (294 to 306) Coinage reference, I still refer to it quite frequently -- I especially enjoy Askew's narratives. This book often gets short shrift from present day numismatists/collectors because of its lack of coin photographs (somewhat primitive line drawings instead) and (for some) perceived out-of-date attributions, but I enjoy Askew's easy writing style and I find his attributions to be quite reliable. This book is a dear old friend to me -- it can be readily obtained from several online book sellers quite inexpensively.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What an excellent and well-organized presentation! Thanks :)

RAGNAROK likes this.
  19. jamesicus

Considering your own excellent presentations, TIF, that is much appreciated praise. Thank you!

LaCointessa and TIF like this.
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Great write up jamesicus! It has always been difficult for me to keep the whole tetrachy gang straight, I remember the guys but the order of events is kind of hard for me to keep lined up correctly in my head. I just picked up my first Maxentius coin (I'll post soon), and reread the tetrachs short biographies AGAIN in a M. Grant book I have...and it stuck a bit better....but it was written as a independent entry for each guy. Seeing it all laid out at one time was helpful!

randygeki likes this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I missed this post, sorry. I don't have any west of Rome lol. The Tetrarch in general is an area I've been lacking in for quite some time, though some of my recent non fel temp additions are making up for it.

I know what you mean.

I just recently got my first Mexentius as well :)

IMG_2851.JPG

RAGNAROK, Bing, Ajax and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted