The tale / legend of Romulus & Remus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MarcusAntonius, May 25, 2021.

1. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Wow!! When my father passed, all the slides/pictures he took was copied to a cd. I haven't looked through them for a long time, but I hope I can find the cd and show you some sights from 1956.

MarcusAntonius, Kentucky and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MarcusAntonius

MarcusAntonius Well-Known Member

Vreau să vă mulțumesc foarte mult!

Imagine if Dacia would not be conquered by Romans, the name Rumania would not exist, neither the language which resembles the Roman language.Romulus and Remus are still alive, leaving their footprint all over the mediterrane and further.

Hrefn, DonnaML and ambr0zie like this.
  4. johnyb

johnyb Member

I'm glad I found and read this thread.. It adds a large dimension to my memory of learning about Romulus and Remus in Latin1 in my first year at High School in 1961.. Thank you all --wonderful coins.

MarcusAntonius and DonnaML like this.
  5. MarcusAntonius

MarcusAntonius Well-Known Member

Hello John,

happy to read all these positive reactions and see pictures of all these amazing coins. From tiny late Roman to Sestercii, Sextans, Aureus and Denarii. What strikes me is the emotion what these coins trigger, it's such a amazing tale and the magnitude is just beyond imagination.
    Almost everybody who visited Italy once, studied Latin, Italian, Rumanian history or lived in one of the provinces like Britain, Holland, Rumania has some affection nowadays with this theme. No wonder, it's such a appealing theme, waking up the imagination of so many people. Coin collectors and historical enthusiasts, writers, painters and artists who are feeling united by the inspiration of the tale of Romulus, Remus and the She-wolf!

DonnaML likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you.

MarcusAntonius likes this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

She wolf being one of my (too numerous) sub collections, I can't but post some

0010-010.jpg

0010-053.jpg

0010-065.jpg

0310-220.jpg

0440-228.jpg

0620-310.jpg

0620-320.jpg

0620-321.jpg

0649-320.jpg

0649-321.jpg

Fun fact about the last one : not only is it from the Lyon mint, near the place I live, but due to a die clash, the obverse legend ROMA appears on the reverse, reading an incuse AMOR just in front of Lupa's head !!

Q

DonnaML, Alegandron, Hrefn and 8 others like this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Now I want one of those !!
    Q

MarcusAntonius likes this.
  9. Interesting piece. A few years ago I saw a news article on interspecies maternal care. However implausible it may seem, there could be some basis of truth to the legend. I once had a cat who had a litter when a stray came along and after a bit, she began to treat it as one of her own. I also acquired a "Constantine Roma"-Obverse: Twins and she-wolf reverse. It came in a batch of uncleaned bronze cull coins, paid $15 for 15 coins-it was really the only good one of the bunch-the rest were broken and junk. This one wasn't all that great-bent a little from being crushed underground for 15 centuries. Took forever to clean but as soon as I did, I ID'd it right off and became hooked,

10. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

An interesting coin @MarcusAntonius, I am curious about use of "Sestertius", it does seem unusual for its condition and size, and rare. I would have identified it as a provincial AE 32 from Mysia, Parium. C G I H ? The "H" was added for Hadrian, to recognize his generosity to the city of Parium, with the "H" added it reads Colonia Gemella Iulia Hadriana PARiana. Gemella because Parium and Lampsacus were founded together as twin colonies (see CGIL on this coin RPC I 2270). Under Hadrian's rule, Parium saw heavy investments in construction.

A lot of great she-wolf and twins coins in this thread, here is another rare provincial wolf and twins:
    Julia Mamaea Wolf.jpg
    Thrace, Deultum, Julia Avita Mamaea, AD 222-235 during the reign of Severus Alexander, with Julia and her mother as regents. Æ23
    Obv: IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, Draped bust right, wearing stephane
    Rev: COL FL PAC DEV-LT, She-wolf standing right, suckling twins
    Ref: Jurukov 174 (same reverse die), Moushumov 3615, CNG Featured Coin (same dies), SNG Bobokov 675 (same obv. die), Windwinds shows Varbanov 2378 (same dies)
    Notes: more on this coin - A Rare Roman Provincial

and a sculpture from the Borghese collection (a photo I took in Paris):
    upload_2021-5-30_6-9-24.png
    Musée du Louvre: La louve allaitant Romulus et Remus, Italian, AD 1585-1600

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    DonnaML, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is cool! She-Wuff on an Anglo-Saxon penny. Great find.

Draft saved Draft deleted