The tale / legend of Romulus & Remus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MarcusAntonius, May 25, 2021.

1. MarcusAntonius

MarcusAntonius Well-Known Member

Sestertius Macrinus.jpg

Sestertius Macrinus II.jpg

Sestertius Macrinus I.jpg

A interesting theme, the founding of the city of Rome and eventually the Roman Empire did start here. So according to the legend this is the source, the whole thing started here with the vendetta between those Geminis and the upbringing by a She-wolf.

Obv. IMP C M OPELIOS SEVER MACRINVS
    Rev. C G I H / PAR

Love the story and this large Sestertius made out of Orichalcum as well (nearly 32 mm). Did not find a second example of this coin in this condition and not even one close, checking the registers do I get the impression that this Sestertius minted from Mysia - Parium is rare, found one identical coin of the same dies. There are other and more breathtaking coins with this theme as well (for example the Antonius Pius Sestertius, Hadrian Aureus), what is your favorite Romulus & Remus coin?

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    paddyman98, Ryro, Cucumbor and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Imagine if Remus had survived out of the two twins, the Reman empire, the Reman numerals, Remance languages and so on! Lupa.jpg

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

sex.jpeg
    Sex. Pompeius Fostlus. (137 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Helmeted head of Roma right; jug behind.
    R: The shepard Faustulus discovering the she-wolf suckling Romulus and Remus; three birds in branches of fig tree behind.
    Rome
    19mm
    3.6g
    Sear 112; Crawford 235/1c; Sydenham 461a; Pompeia 1a.

Cucumbor, galba68, DonnaML and 9 others like this.
  5. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

upload_2021-5-25_10-56-19.jpeg
    Late Roman bronzes are not my primary interest but this coin is iconic. And the wolf is so cute.

6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

7. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

2 of the VRBS ROMA from my collection, one being a very interesting unofficial imitation
    upload_2021-5-25_18-45-11.png

Same image on a banknote from Romania - 5.000.000 Lei from 1947
    upload_2021-5-25_18-50-13.png

Cinco71, Sulla80, Cucumbor and 10 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

SHE-WOLF

upload_2021-5-25_10-53-22.png
    RR Anon AE Sextans 217-215 BCE She-Wolf Twins Eagle Syd 95 Cr 39-3 S 609 Scarce

SHE-WOLF (on my desk)

[​IMG]

9. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yes, adorable! :D:p:joyful:;)

10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

She-Wolf...hmm,...couldn't they just say "wolf" & we could infer which kind? And maybe the wolf identifies as "gender neutral" (I don't know what the current term for that is...:smuggrin:) & would object to being called "she"...:D:p:cool::rolleyes:o_O

11. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Here is my Wolf.... 6AAD20A5-B8C4-4E7D-9977-CDAA485BDFD1.jpeg

Broucheion, Sulla80, DonnaML and 3 others like this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

A pretty great quality rendition from post-Roman England
    31985ADA-578D-4025-8BE9-6D1E9CFBD161.jpeg

Broucheion, Cinco71, Sulla80 and 14 others like this.
  13. MarcusAntonius

Nice paper press over there, it's a very appealing theme.
    Good example of the anonymous sextans, it's certainly scarce!

Alegandron likes this.
  14. MarcusAntonius

Want to say thank you for sharing all these She-wolf Gemini coins, in ancient times did they find them certainly a very fascinating theme as well. There are just so many varieties: Provincial, Republican, Imperial Sestertius, Imperial aureus, Celtic / barbarous, autonomous reigns, recent ages medaillon's, etc.

15. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

One for the road: Antoninus Pius denarius. RIC 95 var III Antoninus Pius 0095 var wolf and twins 7-0281.jpg

16. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Another Pius with laureate head, and on reverse she-wolf standing right within cave, suckling twins Remus and Romulus.
    image.jpg
    VRBS ROMA - Thessalonica
    image(1).jpg
    VRBS ROMA - Heraclea
    image(2).jpg

17. MarcusAntonius

More and more attractive coins are being placed here, hope that a proud owner of a Aureus is watching as well, there are some astonishing examples in gold or maybe another (secretly hidden) exemplar of my Sestertius minted in Mysia - Parium as well?

Personally do I find the following Sestertius very appealing, a Antonius Pius and the used material is Orichalcum as well. Not in collection (not yet).

Romulus & Remus.jpg

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Statue in Eden Park, Cincinnati
    Capitoline_she-wolf_-_Eden_Park,_Cincinnati_-_DSC03903.jpeg

19. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A photo I took in Rome in 2008:

DML photo Rome 2008 - Wolf and Romulus & Remus.jpg

Anonymous, Roma w/wolf & twins (Crawford 287/1)

Anonymous denarius (Roma seated) combined image 1.jpg

Philip I wolf & twins

Philip I - Wolf jpg version.jpg

Constantine I, VRBS ROMA:

COMBINED Constantine I VRBS ROMA.jpg

20. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to go to Rome on a family jaunt many years ago. I was 9 the first time we travelled through Germany, France, and Italy. I walked in the fountain used for the movie "Three Coins in a Fountain" which was also a song. My father had to do some quick talking to keep me out of some type of detention program. They didn't and probably still don't like Americans that think they own everything. I was 9 years old. I saw the statue of Romulas and Remis. We went down in the catacombs. My sister dared me to stick my arm in one of the openings that were used for burial. I went up the Tower of Pisa. (This was 1856) We were able to walk on the outside walkway then. Boy, did I have a ball. We travelled in a 1950 Studebaker Commander 4 Door Sedan. We went on the beach of the Mediterranean Sea. We were quickly rushed off the beach when my father found out it was a topless beach. I was too young to understand what the hubbub was about. There were so U.S. Navy ships off the coast. I'm sure they were getting an eye full.
    Anyway, Italy is my favorite country aside from the U.S. We went to a museum and saw many things that I was too young to appreciate.
    Thank you for your coins. They brought back many special memories.

Scipio, DonnaML, svessien and 2 others like this.
  21. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Some statues from Romania.
    Timisoara
    upload_2021-5-26_0-7-56.png

Alba Iulia
    upload_2021-5-26_0-5-7.png

Bucharest
    upload_2021-5-26_0-6-44.png

Draft saved Draft deleted