The super rare 1982 ddr??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by BlondeWhit, Apr 2, 2021.

1. BlondeWhit

BlondeWhit Member

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlondeWhit

BlondeWhit Member

These were the last few I had too just in case they might help at all IMG_2021-04-02_04-35-11.jpg IMG_2021-04-02_04-33-41.jpg IMG_2021-04-02_04-33-20.jpg IMG_2021-04-02_04-30-51.jpg IMG_2021-04-02_04-30-42.jpg IMG_2021-04-02_04-29-28.jpg

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Just a couple of things. Your poll tags small date, there is no photo of the date here. You also tag error, ddr. Doubled dies and small dates are varieties not errors. As to your photos they are far too pixelated to discern a difference between light reflections, machine or die deterioration doubling.
    Here is the list of 1982,s in order of importance
    The 7 Business Strike Varieties:
    • 1982 Large Date Copper
    • 1982 Large Date Copper plated Zinc
    • 1982 Small Date Copper
    • 1982 Small Date Copper plated Zinc
    • 1982 D Large Date Copper
    • 1982 D Large Date Copper plated Zinc
    • 1982 D Small Date Copper plated Zinc

5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I think die deterioration is the reason for whatever doubling you see along with corrosion and wear. What DD sites have you checked?

Inspector43 and expat like this.
  6. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

As our fellow enthusiasts note, not the rare variety. Here is a link: 1982p1dr001 Die Variety Information - coppercoins.com

As a further comment, it's always a good idea to mimic the photo and lighting offered at the attribution sites when posting a coin. Many times members here are looking for other clues to tell the story about a specimen you may post. Usually a cropped shot of the obverse and reverse along with the mimicked photos of the doubling and noted markers. Essentially, the process of getting these together usually gives the poster enough to make the call on their own, but if not, they are there for the members to help sort out what we have here.

For this variety, the doubling is so obvious that mimicking the attribution shots isn't necessary. This class of doubling and the severe nature of it brings it out quickly.

Inspector43 and expat like this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Your photos are enlarged to the point that I can't recognize any of the features you are referencing or asking for clarification on.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  8. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@BlondeWhit ...when you suspect doubling, go to Wexler or Variety Vista to confirm. If it doesn’t match exactly, including the die markers, it isn’t. All I’m seeing is damage and wear. Work on posting better pictures. ...jmho...Spark

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think I can see the molecular structure in those pictures.

shaney777 and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. BlondeWhit

BlondeWhit Member

Thank u very much for your response! All this time I have been putting each and every post ive made under the "error coins" so i definitely wont do that again
    Also as for the obverse side of coin, I did take one but saw a mistake I made and edited my post about 2 minutes after posting it the first time. When I went to review it before reposting it, I saw that for some reason the first picture i took of the whole obverse side of coin zoomed out, it was on there 2 times in a row. When I deleted I guess I accidently deleted both or something happened.
    Also, with u mentioning the pic been too pixelated, do you think that has anything to do with me making it a full image? I used to upload them all as thumbnail pics cuz I didn't know either way which was better. But then I got a comment once that said that I should put them as full images so I've done that on my last two posts. Do you think it would change anything if I made the thumbnails for people to click on themselves? Sorry if that's kind of a ignorant question. I'm not very computer savvy lol.
    And my last question is that you mentioned the tags. It is for sure the Philadelphia, small date, and I weighed it and it's definitely the copper covered zinc variety. To be honest though before I came to this website and made an account, I really was not sure exactly how to do tags so I'm not sure if I did that correctly or if you normally put less/ more? I hope I did that right but if not could you let me know please.
    I'll try to work on making the pictures better. But I really appreciate your feedback thank you

expat likes this.
  11. BlondeWhit

BlondeWhit Member

I was referencing the photos on variety vista

Robert Ransom likes this.
  12. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The pixellation is not because they are full size it is because you are too close to the coin and the overmagnification is causing the distortion. Even though it is a variety you can still post on the error coins sub-forum, also can you please repost the image of the date and the reverse but not so close up. Myself and other members would like to help you ascertain what you have.

13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@BlondeWhit

The pixellation is caused by a low mega pixel rating of your scope or camera, many members post extreme close-ups without pixellation problems because they use devices with 3MP or better. Almost all of the cheaper scopes have 2MP capability. I use a Celestron scope with 5MP.

Always use “full image”. This allows for better resolution when members magnify your pictures...more picture data is posted.

Better pictures can be obtained by reducing glare and using better lighting...experiment for yourself. You may find using 2 low-power lights with diffusion filters to work best. I use 4 light sources (not at the same time) to confirm suspected doubling and corresponding die markers...jmho...Spark

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not that I can see

15. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Sorry I don't see any doubling. As other have stated, too pixilated (grainy). Try less magnification. JMHO. Good luck.

16. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I looked at both 001 &002 and could not see doubling primarily due to photo quality. Stick with it and try a few more photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted