The sucker with the money

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JBGood, Jan 26, 2018.

1. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

1799 GREAT BRITAIN HALF PENNY KING GEORGE III CHOICE AU CONDITION.png
    OK, full disclosure: I bought a couple books on the Coins of England. I dabbled a bit and bought some low cost coins at auction. But, last night I paid over $100 for this coin. These are the eBay photos.

Feel free to critique the coin, the purchase, etc. If it looks this good in hand I'll probably be content.

If anybody understands the "gun port" deal on the little boat on the reverse that may also be an interesting discussion. I do not know how many are on the specimen posted.

Thanks,
    JBGood

NCnovice likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

KM#647 , of which of the 5 varieties is it ?

with 5 incuse gunports
    with 6 relief gunports
    with 9 relief gunports
    plain hull
    raised line along hull

cool coin by the way.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. JBGood

I think it's 6 relief but not sure. The seller didn't know. I'
    He shipped it this morning so I'll know in a couple days.

5. JBGood

I also expect that the coin isn't really that color. But it appears to me to be not excessively worn, all the legends are crisp. I'm gonna wager it's EF? Please jump in, I can take it.

6. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Nice coin! I will be interested to see what the colour is when you have it in hand - it could be right - being copper you can get interesting colour effects depending on how it has been stored.
    On UK gradings it looks to be EF - probably higher on US gradings if that is the way you go.
    I am rather pleased to see them going so well - I have 3 with different gunport arrangements, the best as good as yours though darker. They look to have been a rewarding investment.

JBGood likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I don't know the current value of these, but even if you over paid it can't be more than a few Starbucks' Coffees or a lunch or two. If you end up liking the coin when it shows up, that's the most important thing

JBGood likes this.
  8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

EF at a minimum. You might have overpaid by a few dollars, but it's still a good buy. Lovely coin.

JBGood likes this.
  9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Sometimes a coin just says "take me home with you".

:)

JBGood likes this.
  10. JBGood

I can not make out the gun-ports at all, can you? 1799 half penny reverse.jpg even at 16X.

11. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Sorry - not even nearly! You need to get a super macro lens on it and post a picture of just the ship. (I have tried saving your picture and then zooming but by the time I get close to seeing the gunports it is far too indistinct to make out.)
    Good news is the number of gunports makes little difference to the value.

12. JBGood

I'm happy with the coin. It's as pretty in hand and all devices are clear. I've got a lens around here somewhere. Thanks for looking. When I get a clearer pic I'll post it.

Draft saved Draft deleted