Featured The Story of the Coin Struck to Fight Hannibal: The First Denarius and its Influence

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thank you muchly for the thread. :) It was a pleasure to read & full of good stuff. I hope the mods will feature your thread.

Edit to add: It is featured at CT now. Congratulations.
    applause.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think they did while you were reading it :D

Great stuff, Curtisimo! Although... now the competition for these will increase. Thanks a lot bro-- you just cost us all more money :p :D

GerardV, RAGNAROK and Curtisimo like this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks you guys :) I had as much fun researching and writing the essay as I did hunting for just the right example. I'm super happy to get another featured thread! Thank you to whomever nominated it.

Every time I start seriously researching one of my recent acquisitions it leads to 3-5 more related coin types that I decide I want... and the hunt begins again ;)

Haha I thought of that when both you and @Ken Dorney expressed interest in getting one... glad I already have mine :p:woot::troll:

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Quadrigatus Collage 3.jpg
    Roman Republic
    AR Quadrigatus
    225 – 215 B.C.
    6.22 gms, 22 mm
    Obv: Janiform Head within beaded border
    Rev: Quadriga right driven by Nike
    carrying Jupiter throwing
    thunderbolt. Inverse relief ROMA
    on tablet in exergue
    Grade: good VF+ with minor flaws / rough planchet at 3:00 on the reverse. Overall very attractive including dark cabinet toning, good centering and strike.
    Other: From the ancient Greek city state of Rome (before Rome kicked everyone in the butt). Sear book #80, RSC-23, Craw 29/3

Victoriatus Collage 1.jpg
    Roman Republic
    AR Victoriatus
    ca. 211 B.C.
    2.97gms, 16-17.5 mm
    Obv: Laureate bust of Jupiter right
    Rev: Victory standing facing right
    crowning a trophy. ROMA in ex
    Grade: good VF+ to aEF with strong well centered strike, attractive cabinet toning and nice original surfaces. Minor breaks in the reverse toning due to benign neglect (cabinet friction).
    Other: From the ancient Greek city state of Rome (before Rome warred with other Greek city states for control of modern day Italy). Sear book #80, Crawford 44/1. Ex-RBW, ex NFA (Garrett III) Lot 360, 3/29/85. From JA & AN private sales 2016.

6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Except that I forget most of what I become interested in. I have always been a distracted collector. Twelve Caesars in bronze, Mt. Argaeus, Hadrian sestertii, 'evil emperors'...all started but never finished as I always find another shiny object to chase after (or in my case dull, as I prefer base metals).

GerardV, RAGNAROK, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Awesome post! You should author a coffee table book. You definitely have the talent! I'll take a hundred copies ;)

RAGNAROK and Curtisimo like this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

An excellent thread!

9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks @Deacon Ray :) My loooong term goal once I have an extensive enough collection is to someday cobble together a website showing the coins I've acquired along with some general historical information similar to what @TIF has put together.

Thanks Randy.

10. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Thank you, mate! :)

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

At Curtisimo, great coin! Super fantastic write-up!! Thanks for putting all of it together!

12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks for the kind words @TJC.

One thing I should have included in my initial post that I just thought about is a call for Punic coins of the war as well! It would be fascinating to see some of the Spanish silver the Barcids used to pay their mercenary armies! @Alegandron ... a little help on that front ;)

And feel free to post your RR coins of any era. I'm on the lookout for my next republican Denarius target :wideyed:

RAGNAROK and Alegandron like this.
  13. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Super post, and coin.

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Carthage - 2nd Punic War:

Celtiberia - Barcid Spain

upload_2017-7-27_19-47-39.png
    Carthage - Celtiberia Quarter-Calco Tanit-Helmet -Traveling Mint with Carthage Army 212-209 BCE

Bruttium Occupation
    Bruttium Carthage occup AR Half-Shekel 216-211 Tanit Horse SOLAR-O HN Italy 2016 SNG Cop 361-3.JPG
    Bruttium Carthage occup AR Half-Shekel 216-211 Tanit Horse SOLAR-O HN Italy 2016 SNG Cop 361-3

Bruttium Carthage occup AR Half-Shekel 216-211 Tanit Horse SOLARdisc HN Italy 2016 .JPG
    Bruttium Carthage occup AR Half-Shekel 216-211 Tanit Horse SOLARdisc HN Italy 2016

Bruttium AE 18 Hemiobol 215-205 BC 2nd Punic Nymph Terina Nike Zeus.jpg
    Bruttium AE 18 Hemiobol 215-205 BC 2nd Punic Nymph Terina Nike Zeus

Carthage Mint
    Carthage mint 2nd Punic War 215-201 BCE AE Shekel Tanit Horse stepping kerykeion SNG Cop 327.JPG
    Carthage mint 2nd Punic War 215-201 BCE AE Shekel Tanit Horse stepping kerykeion SNG Cop 327

Carthage AE Trishekel Tanit Horse 220-215 BCE 30mm 19.7g Lot 36.jpg
    Carthage AE Trishekel Tanit Horse 220-215 BCE 30mm 19.7g Lot 36

Carthage AE Trishekel Tanit Horse 220-215 BCE 30mm 17.6g Lot 35.jpg
    Carthage AE Trishekel Tanit Horse 220-215 BCE 30mm 17.6g Lot 35

Sicily Occupation:
    upload_2017-7-27_19-53-25.png
    Sicily Akragas Punic occup 213-210 BC AR Half Shekel 19 mm 2.9g Male head r Triptolemos wreath grain -Horse leaping r Punic Ḥ SNG COP 378

LaCointessa, TJC, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

WOW!! Your collection is epic Brian! The AE Trishekels are both superb.

Thanks @Johndoe2000$ :)

@RAGNAROK!!! I haven't seen you post in a while. Glad to see you back mate :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Johndoe2000$, RAGNAROK and Alegandron like this.
  16. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Hi, ma mate! Work, Work, Work... ye know... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

And "it" has not been easy at all... :p:D

And remember that we have a little pending "celtic affair"... ;):)

Curtisimo likes this.
  17. unkiebub37

unkiebub37 New Member

Curtisimo likes this.
  18. unkiebub37

unkiebub37 New Member

never read a better article..only collect 1850-1940 European silver..G.B., Germany, etc, but love learning ancient history, especially about silver coins..thanks from a seldom responder...unk

RAGNAROK, Volodya, Mikey Zee and 3 others like this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow that's one of the nicest compliments I've gotten in a long time! Thank you @unkiebub37 :D I appreciate you commenting on my post!

Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  20. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Thank you for sharing this fascinating story

RAGNAROK, Mikey Zee and Curtisimo like this.
  21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This type is now on my list Mikey. Thank you for making me aware of it.

This forum is good on the brain and bad on the wallet ;)

TIF, RAGNAROK and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted