Featured The Stephane on Roman Imperial Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

R.C., This is an interesting thread with great examples posted by CT members :D. For comparison below is my favorite Greek coin with Artemis sporting a stephane.

Magnesia ad Maeandrum, c. 155-145 BC.jpg
    IONIA, Magnesia ad Maeandrum, circa 155-145 BC. Obverse Artemis, reverse Apollo. AR Tetradrachm: 31 mm, 16,89 gm, 12 h.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A most informative write-up, once again, RC.

Here is the same reverse type of Faustina II on a pair of sestertii, one without and one with the stephane, resulting in sequential RIC numbers, but a "var." for Sear, if I got my attributions right:

Faustina II FELIC Feb 2018x.jpg
    Faustina II the Younger
    Æ Sestertius
    Rome Mint
    (161-175 A.D.)

FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed & draped bust right / TEMPOR FELIC S-C,
    Faustina standing, holding two infants, four children at feet.
    RIC 1673; Sear 5284 (var)
    (21.56 grams / 30 mm)

Faustina II the Younger
    Æ Sestertius
    Rome Mint
    (161-175 A.D.)

FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right with stephane / TEMPOR FELIC S-C, Faustina standing, holding two infants, four children at feet.
    RIC 1674; Sear 5284.
    (22.81 grams / 32 mm)

4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

GaleriaValeriaSMSD11123.jpg

Galeria Valeria
    25 mm. 6.21 grams
    VENERI VICTRICI
    SMSD
    RIC VI Serdica 41 "late 307-8"

I don't think coins of Helena show a stephane like in the OP. This AE4 shows some sort of hair ornament, but it is not the same.

HelenaPAXPVBLICAcross88108.jpg

Fausta was not "Augusta" and her AE coins do not show a stephane.

Aelia Flaccilla, wife of Theodosius, and Eudoxia, wife of Arcadius, held the title Augusta but their AE coins do not have a stephane.

So, maybe Galeria Valeria was the last. Can anyone show a later stephane on Roman coins?

6. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Fausta example coin from Killingholme hoard:

484407F4-9460-4056-B7BB-30B1EAA2A4DA.jpeg E8A2A59B-F3A7-4EFB-A624-3DF35086E1F4.jpeg
    RIC VII, London, Fausta, No. 300k
    • Killingholme Hoard (Trier Mint) - 324 to 325
    • O: Fausta bust right - FLAV MAX FAVSTA AVG
    • R: Fausta holding two infant sons - SALVS REIPVBLICAE
    There were several very fine coins in that group that I purchased - attached here is a Fausta reduced follis. I do not know why the patination differs between obverse and reverse - maybe as a result of contact with different substrates over a long period of time?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I also have a coin with different obverse and reverse patination, and was told that maybe the coin was more exposed to light on one side than on the other. That I should turn it, which I haven't done. Don't know if this could also be a reason for the difference.

DonnaML and panzerman like this.
  8. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

9. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

One question I haven't really seen discussed in this thread: at what point does one consider a diadem to be a stephane? I think that's an especially relevant question in looking at Roman Republican examples, like the ones that @Orielensis posted. Here are my own denarii of Naevius Balbus and Caecilius Metellus, showing Venus (or Juno) and Pietas, respectively:

Naevius Balbus Venus-Victory in Triga Both Sides.png

Q. Cec. Metellus denarius (Pietas-elephant) jpg version.jpg
    In my mind, a stephane is shaped more like the prow of a ship than an "ordinary" diadem, so I might be more likely to say that Pietas is wearing a stephane on the Caecilius Metellus, than that Venus/Juno is wearing one on the Naevius Balbus. I think both can have jewels on them, so that shouldn't be the basis for a distinction.

What criteria do others use for distinguishing between the two?

Johndakerftw, Andres2 and Bing like this.
  10. Scipio

Scipio Well-Known Member

Semilibral anomalous series. AE Triens, c. 217-215 BC. Obv. Diademed female head right; behind, four pellets. Rev. Hercules fighting centaur, holding his hair in left hand and club in right; before, four pellets; in exergue, ROMA. Cr. 39/1.
    but to me it is more a stephane EC87D9B2-AD19-466A-8C66-30E9DC9DD122.jpeg 70C38B18-3597-462F-9D63-8008E733311D.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted