The start of a 1909-1940 Lincoln Set!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Walking Sterling Silver, May 5, 2015.

1. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

Since I already got 1941-1982 complete set, I thought I should complete the set. I'm hoping to complete all the dates of 1909-1940 XF+, on exception of the extremely scarce key dates. Might get a few toner in there, which will be a bit hard to find, because copper is a bit hard to find in a nice tone. Anyone have any advice on the set?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I would advise you to keep the set as a choice VF through choice EF set and forgo any toned MS examples since these will stand out like a sore thumb. Also, the branch mints from the 1920s are notoriously weakly struck and, as such, you may have a bear of a time finding acceptable coins. It may be that you have to go with AU examples of these branch mint coins simply to have attractive coins because they often came with mushy strikes.

I think this is a great set to work on and that coins without bad spots make for a terrific journey.

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Use considerable caution when you buy the 1922 "plain" -- know the die characteristics of both dates, 1922 and 1922-D, and what's typically done to make a 1922 out of a 1922-D.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Agreed on the lower overall value; the lesser coins will definitely stick out.

6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I wouldn't waste my money on a "plain 22", unless you're an error collector. The "plain 22" cents are Denver issues and if you fill a hole with a 1922D Cent, then you've got that date/mint covered.

I know a lot of collectors want the major errors (22 plain, DDO 55, etc) because there are holes in many of the albums for those coins and they've gotten a lot of press but if you're going after those, there are literally dozens of other errors that you should also consider. There's really no end to the variations - DDO, DDR, DMM, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted