The Smithsonian National Numismatic Collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link. It's very interesting. I'd bet there are treasures that rarely leave the Museum's vault. I'm going to try to go to D.C. this summer.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like I will have to take a trip down soon. Maybe next weekend.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It is very common for museums to rotate their displays every couple of years. Especially if they have a vast collection and limited space to display it. There's usually a permanent display (the "wow" coins that Garrett mentions), but the museum will refresh things to tell a new story and create interest. This is also to get people coming back - you wouldn't want to go see the same thing over and over, you want to see something new.

6. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I was there last year and all the pieces that are mentioned in the article were on display in the "new" bank vault room. Not sure if the author just got around to writing the article but I was under the impression that the display was over a year old when I saw it.

I will say, it's a great collection and they did a really nice job with the selection. It could use more lighting though (maybe they fixed that). You could barely see some of the coins because it was so dark.

I'm interested in going to the updated Air and Space Museum... they were really overhauling that sucker.

Draft saved Draft deleted