Featured The Slabbed (NGC/PCGS) AT-QT (Artificial/Questionable Toning) Thread

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think we were both proved correct in that there are definitely more AT coins in than I expected, but they are mostly concentrated in modern series that I don’t get to see much.

FWIW, I don’t remember the fierce words. I enjoy vigorous debate and don’t hold anything against someone who defends their position as passionately as I defend mine. If there were any harsh words written, they have long been forgotten.

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Ahhh I see, Market Acceptable?

4. SorenCoins

Thank you ;)

5. Southpawdon

Southpawdon Member

I see that no one has responded to my query as to why it makes any difference if the toning is natural or artificial. Could that be that the answer is that it makes no difference?!!! Nice to debate, but really of no consequence and nor should it be!!!

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Southpawdon I'm no expert on this and other members can reply with better definitions. IMO it makes a big difference if a coin is Naturally toned or Artificially toned. Natural toning usually occurs over a period of time and tones according to how the coin was stored (In an album, capsule, paper envelope, etc.). The toning pattern progresses in a certain order and the majority of cases enhances the eye appeal of the coin. Artificial toning can be applied to a coin in a very short period of time using different chemical processes, by heat, and many other methods. Usually done by a unscrupulous person to jack up the price. Take a look at the Sacagawea dollar posted on page 63 of this site. @ddddd posted a photo of the coin gassed (artifically toned) after it was slabbed by PCGS. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see what it looked like went it was sent in to be graded. Which coin would you prefer to buy? There's many threads on Coin Talk discussing this issue. Try using Google to look at Naturally toned and Artificially toned coins. See which ones appeal to you and which ones don't.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    ddddd likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Sorry @Southpawdon that I didn't get to your question. @thomas mozzillo gave a good answer.

I'll add that it does make a difference. Just like anything else, people prefer natural to artificial. Yes some artificial items (including coins) can be made well and compete with their natural counterparts. However, the majority of artificial items are just not quite equal to natural items.

Artificial toning often makes the coin look gaudy if not completely ugly; meanwhile natural toning can enhance the eye appeal and make a coin really stick out. It's not for everyone and no one is forced to pay a premium for toning. Some of us just enjoy it and believe it adds to the collecting experience.

8. Southpawdon

Southpawdon Member

Thanks for the responses, but it seems to me that there has been very enlightened discussion that suggest it is almost impossible to tell if natural of artificial toning has occurred. Then, shouldn't it be the appearance of the coin that determines both value and desirability? Thanks

9. thomas mozzillo

@Southpawdon You should also start watching "The Toning Premium Thread Part 2"
    It's a fun thread where a member will post a toned coin and the rest of the members are asked to guess the price of the coin.

ddddd likes this.
  10. SorenCoins

I somewhat in a way feel that the distinction between some natural toners and artificial toners is somewhat of a fine line and can be nearly arbitrary. Now coins that were found toned in an OBW roll vs ones someone put in an oven have a strong distinction, say sunlight toned coins, ones that sit on a window sill and catch a tone through that. It could be toned through natural processes, as the sunlight helps speed the reaction between the metal and the materials around it, but it could be considered toned through artificial processes due to someone purposefully setting it there to tone. That's where I find it hard to tell. Anybody can set up a coin in exactly the right conditions to gather a natural tone, but then it would be artificial, or would it? You're right, it would be a good idea for a debate topic ;)

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

It is true that some are almost too close to call while others are obvious (like the baked ones you mentioned). And there has been plenty of discussion on your other point about intent (and there will be more in the future; you'll see if a new thread is started :D). Since it is difficult to determine intent, that is part of the reason for the term market acceptable. The toning could have been accelerated by replicating known "natural" conditions but it can still be acceptable in the market.

SorenCoins likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

The appearance does usually determine the value and desirability. In many cases though, artificial toning will make the appearance inferior and so the value would go down. I also would not say that it is almost impossible to tell natural vs artificial. Yes there are quite a few examples that are difficult, but many artificial toners are obvious.

13. SorenCoins

Very interesting. I see how the term market acceptable is rather useful and almost more accurate than standard AT/NT. Thanks for the response, I've learned a good bit!

ddddd likes this.
  14. troyjoseph

troyjoseph Member

I think that coin is a fraud, :arghh: and who or what is going to stop PCGS? thier little system of thier buddies friends and relatives all comitting RICO :eek:!!!

15. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

RICO requires a concerted effort to commit at least two predicate offenses. What would those predicate offenses be and what evidence exists to support such bold allegations?

16. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

37979967_154115915_Max.jpg

Not mine - from Coin Facts
    PCGS 65 BN

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

QC
    ...something about it suggests heat/chemicals were applied...although messing with a semi-key date isn’t something I’d expect, this result (if indeed manufactured) will improve the market value

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am MA on this one. It could have sit in a type holder for a while.

19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I would lean towards MA but this is a coin that I would like to see in hand before making a final decision. I don't trust that photo.

21. thomas mozzillo

Draft saved Draft deleted