Featured The Slabbed (NGC/PCGS) AT-QT (Artificial/Questionable Toning) Thread

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The first set of photos seem to indicate questionable neon pink and electric blue highlights on the periphery. The other set of photos make the coin appear much more market acceptable. This looks like a case where the seller may be using photo enhancements (color saturation) to hawk his wares. Proof Ikes are stored in a number of different holders, some of which can cause dramatic toning. The majority of the toning is an orange gold that blankets both sides and a color I have seen before on modern proofs. It is also worth mentioning that this coin is a silver IKE, not a clad IKE, and much more susceptible to toning.

I'm going NT/MA on this one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

4. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

A quick question for @Lehigh96 with regards to the 24 hour rule. Does that simply mean that after 24 hours we count up the numbers of AT/NT for that given coin and list them, or does it mean that PLUS no other coin may be posted UNTIL the coin that has kicked off the 24 hour time frame has run it's 24 hours? Thank you.

My gut feeling about the CBH is NT.

ddddd likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Yeah, I think it would be best if we cleared the current coin before we move on the next one. But now both ddddd & I have the ability to call it a wrap, I think it should move a little smoother. After all, we are only on our third coin.

George McClellan and ddddd like this.
  6. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

QT but the photo's don't let me get a good idea.

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

So PCGS was initially wrong? :rolleyes:

I showed this coin to several people, including dealers and experts, and the only one who agreed with PCGS was an arrogant slab-addicted dealer.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

As for the Ike, it appears to have been cracked out and put into an album. The spot over IGWT was probably a contaminant consistent with being cracked out of OGP. I’ll say MA toning

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

My opinion was that both grading events were incorrect. I would have been advocating for details cleaned or altered surfaces.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The solid orange color on both sides of this Ike look accelerated to me.
    I think it was heat toned as already said. The pink and blues also fit the bill IMO
    QC/AT

@heavycam.monstervam

11. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

12. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I could go either way on this one. I'll go heat treated but might not have been intentional. Possibly sitting in a garage in Florida.
    AT/QT

13. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I just finished getting all caught up with this thread. Very interesting so far. I'm not very good at guessing what is AT or NT or MA, I only know what I like. For the most part, I will be throwing darts here.

As for the Ike that was posted, I would guess AT/QT as well.

14. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I agree with this +1

15. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Serious question. What is un-intentional heat treating?

So a coin sitting in a garage in Florida (for whatever reason), cannot ever achieve natural toning?

16. heavycam.monstervam

I think you may have mis-understood what i was saying.
    Im saying this coin looks like the victim of heat, but it could have POSSIBLY been un-intenional. A coin sitting in a garage in FL most certainly COULD be natural toning.
    My guess, is just that, a guess. I have no idea how this actually happened. Hope this helps

CoinCorgi likes this.
  17. Lehigh96

Storing your coins in a hot humid garage/attic is improper storage and will often yield questionable toning relegating your coins to problem coins.

If your have coins have value, then treat them like valuables and protect them from environmental conditions, and stop treating them the same way you treat your high school yearbook.

18. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

LeHigh, if you don’t stop your savagery, you’re gonna owe me a new phone. That’s the second time this week I spit coffee on my phone from laughing at your comments.

19. heavycam.monstervam

20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Clear as mud. thanks for trying.

21. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Who's got the meme from Pirates of the Caribbean "so you're saying that no ship that's not got black sails and isn't manned by a crew of the dead can possibly be the Black Pearl?....Yes!"

CoinCorgi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted