Featured The Slabbed (NGC/PCGS) AT-QT (Artificial/Questionable Toning) Thread

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Nov 11, 2018.

1. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for the clarification! Truly! They had already removed it and put it aside for me, so I erroneously believed it was in the soft packs. Nonetheless the rest still applies - it is verifiably not AT because it sat in its original packaging until they opened it.

I can easily concede that they may not predict the properties of any other issue. The surface itself differs from the smooth Proof and the rough business strike. Maybe that affects how deposits form on the surface.

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

While I believe your experience, I would add that sitting in the packaging is not definitive proof of AT or NT. The packaging could still be tampered with or the coin could have even been replaced as those sets are easy to open. Again I'm not saying that is what happened in your case; I'm just saying that one should not automatically trust toners in original packaging.

AUAGBUG and RonSanderson like this.
  4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This was originally graded QT, then got AU-55 upon resubmission. Which designation is correct?

80F52EF9-2AB5-4107-A0F7-D02BEF978D4C.jpeg 9A18397C-59D5-4516-808C-A0E1D96A552F.jpeg 3198D80F-B781-4061-8EDE-5940585830EE.jpeg D5C984B6-FBF1-4BF7-97BE-2D8691E87C82.jpeg 233B63D8-D320-4A38-93DC-FAB9D261E48F.jpeg

George McClellan and C-B-D like this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

That Half has me a bit stumped. Was it dipped at some point to make it blast white and then retoned? That would be my guess, but overall it doesn’t look blatantly suspect. Plus classic coins have more leeway in my opinion (and more years to have acquired color naturally).

I’ll go with MA/NT

7. TypeCoin971793

My in-hand opinion was yes.

8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Well, i didnt realize that this thread took off like this. Im late for the Franklin, but i wouldve said undoubtedly AT. I wouldve been more lenient if it was a cardboard mint set year- pre-'59 as those are sometimes wild looking toners.

The Bust half, most of those have been cleaned most of them have re-toned. I would go MA NT on this one. (Although it could have been intentional) Its my opine that the brighter, more neon looking blues & greens, are the suspicious looking ones.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I agree that the bust half has been dipped and developed a secondary toning. I don’t see anything that screams AT/QT but I also don’t collect this series and don’t know the typical color schemes.

I say NT/MA

PS, what happened to the sniffer? I thought PCGS was using computers to ensure consistency when the same coin was submitted multiple times.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

My guess is that the “sniffer” was either a myth, a marketing ploy, or just not accurate enough. It was a good concept but I have not seen evidence to support that it has done much.

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think they only use it with their Secure Plus service which would make you right that it is a marketing ploy.

AUAGBUG likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe that is it (only secure plus). Although there are even examples of secure plus coins being regraded.
    In general the concept doesn’t seem like it would work accurately often enough as a few minor changes (a dip or some extra time stored in an envelope/napkin) to a coin would likely fool the program.

13. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

That Bust Half passes as okay by me for color but not a big fan of it and I can't pinpoint exactly why

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I resubmitted this one for secure plus. Sniffer was needed to see if it was gassed. Apparently they did not detect anything. It was graded MS70 before, and still is in it's new secure plus holder.
    83094906_Max.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    George McClellan likes this.
  15. IBetASilverDollar

im not letting that one pass my personal sniffer test, it's a no from me

Oldhoopster likes this.
  16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I'm gonna say someone intentionally treated that coin to get those colors. To fit that notion into this contest I guess I need to say AT/QCT?

That color reminds me of the Mardi Gras doubloons I caught when I was a kid. They were made of anodized aluminum. This would have been a cool one - blue on one side, pink on the other!
    [​IMG]

17. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

While that’s an incredible color and amazingly uniform (and I would love to have it), I also can’t get past believing this could happen in just seven years. So, AT.

18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Keep in mind it is a trueview... the color is a bit darker in hand.

RonSanderson likes this.
  19. TypeCoin971793

The color transitions on the obverse were very wierd. That’s probably why it detailed the first time.

20. IBetASilverDollar

Maybe it is the color that I'm not a fan of or looks off to me. I normally love busties in that grade range (I think no series is as eye appealing for coins in the XF45-AU58 range that CBHs) that one just misses the mark for me tho.

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

It was cheaper than making a payout. :troll:
    This way you paid all the fees. :p

The only thing I can say about some of the 2011 Silver Eagles is that a lot of the ones from the Anniversary sets came with the capsules loose and thus the coins were able to tone from contacting the velvet. I believe those that gas slabs or AT Eagles have taken this to their advantage.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted