The six bust types of Plautilla

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Hill (The Coinage of Septimius Severus and his family of the Mint of Rome A.D. 193-217, p. 8) has identified five different styles of bust for Plautilla from the mint at Rome. Similarly, Temeryazev & Makarenko (The Coinage of Roman Empresses, vol II, pp. 44-45) have identified five styles from the Rome mint and one from Laodicea.

I have examples of all. Again, post whatever you feel is relevant!

The earliest (AD 202), Hill type Ei/T&M type 2, depicts the empress as youthful, with hair in ridges plaited horizontally and with a large bun at the back of the head, off the neck:

Plautilla Concordia Aeternae denarius.jpg
    RIC 361; BMCRE 401; RSC 10; RCV 7069; T&M 435; Hill 575A

The second (AD 202), Hill type Eii/T&M type 3, features a similarly youthful bust, her hair with slanting plaits and a bun which is lower on the head but still above the neck:

Plautilla Concordia Standing Denarius.jpg
    RIC 363a; BMCRE 411; RSC 1; RCV 7065; T&M 421; Hill 583 & 585

A third type, also early (AD 202), Hill type Eii (var.)/T&M type 4, has the hair in similarly slanting plaits, but instead of a bun, the hair is coiled at the back of the neck:

Plautilla Concordia Felix Denarius.jpg
    RIC 365a; BMCRE 418; RSC 12; RCV 7066; T&M 433; Hill 584 & 586

Similar is the bust used at the Laodicea mint (AD 202), T&M type 1, which shows Plautilla with plaits coiled behind the head and barely on the neck:

Plautilla CONCORDIA seated denarius Laodicea.jpg

A fifth type, used later in Caracalla's reign (ca AD 203), Hill type Li/T&M type 5, depicts her hair in waves, not plaits, and gathered into a small queue-knot behind the neck; her ear is exposed:

Plautilla PIETAS AVGG bust 5 denarius.jpg
    RIC 367; BMCRE 422; RSC 16; RCV 7072; T&M 430; Hill 607 & 608

The latest bust type (AD 204), Hill type Lii/T&M type 6, is similar, but her hair covers her ears:

Plautilla Venus Victrix Denarius.jpg
    RIC 369; BMCRE 429; RSC 25b; RCV 7074; T&M 437; Hill 661

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Spaniard, TJC, gogili1977 and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes:All are quite lovely!!!

My sole example with the hair covering her ears-Venus reverse.

plautilla.jpg

Spaniard, TJC, gogili1977 and 15 others like this.
  4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Guess I have the earliest:

Anc-09b-R3-k0202-Plautilla-DE-I-361.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Plautilla, r. 202-205 A.D.
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 18.82 mm x 3.15 grams
    Obv.: PLAVTILLAE AVGVSTAE. Draped bust right, hair coiled in vertical ridges and fastened in bun on back
    Rev.: CONCORDIAE AETERNAE. Caracalla standing left, clasping hands with Plautilla standing right
    Ref.: RIC IV-1 Caracalla 361, p. 269

Spaniard, TJC, gogili1977 and 18 others like this.
  5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

@ MZ. Who's that on the feet of Venus ? Left..

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes: It's supposed to be Cupid holding a helmet...

Obv. PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
    Rev. VENVS VICTRIX, Venus standing left, holding apple and palm and leaning upon round shield to right; to left, Cupid standing left, holding helmet.

ominus1 and Roman Collector like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, nice sub-set collection @Roman Collector ! They all look great, and I have no favorite. I would just have them all...

I have RomanCollector catalog #2 Plautilla Reverse with Concordia:

RI Plautilla 202-205 CE m CaracallaAR Denarius 3.7g Concordia patera scepter RIC 363.jpg
    RI Plautilla 202-205 CE m CaracallaAR Denarius 3.7g Concordia patera scepter RIC 363

Spaniard, TJC, Ajax and 15 others like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Mine is definitely from the earliest type, and rendered rather skilfully by a celator with obviously a bit of experience.

Plautilla.jpg

Spaniard, TJC, gogili1977 and 15 others like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

In most of her portraits, Plautilla appears to be very attractive, but yet Caracalla couldn't stand to be around her. I wonder if she was a shrew or something was wrong with her personality. But, then again, Caracalla didn't have all his oars in the water.

ominus1, Jwt708, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I would count it as a blessing and a compliment if Caracalla couldn't stand to be around me.

ominus1, Jwt708, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  12. Sallent

She was not bad looking at all...

18362d393b45a52ac89c6962c9691ca4.jpg

But neither was Caracalla if the images from the reign of Septimius Severus are to be believed. I know he had his statues adopt a meaner look when he was sole emperor, but here he looks like a handsome young man sporting curls that would make Bob Marley quite envious.

corinth_north_market_caracalla_mus_corinth.275x0-is-pid9686.jpg

The problem appeared to be two fold:

1) Plautila did not love Caracalla, and being a naive young girl she didn't hide her lack of love for the future emperor (a huge mistake). This made Caracalla despise her. She was also a spendthrift and got on Caracalla's nerves because of that.

However, he seems not to have hated her enough to keep from sleeping with her, as they managed to produce a daughter in 204 CE. But her father's plot in 205 CE to murder the imperial family definitely killed any shred of tolerance Caracalla had for Plautila. After that she was as good as dead. She was exiled to an island and Caracalla eventually had her strangled in 211 CE along with her daughter.

2) Her father, Fulvius Plautianus, was overly ambitious and got on Caracalla's nerves. And it doesn't help that when he learned about the marital troubles he correctly judged his life was in danger and ploted to kill Caracalla and Septimius Severus.

Spaniard, TJC, Ajax and 7 others like this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm tempted to add that it was an arranged marriage, but my first wife and I picked each other out with no coercion, and that didn't work out much better, lol.

14. Sallent

You had her exiled to an island? LOL

Spaniard, Theodosius, Jwt708 and 3 others like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe Caracalla realized that Plautianus had every intend of succeeding Septimius since Caracalla was too young but Caracalla was smart enough to realize his continued existence depended on Plautianus dying before Septimius. Lets recall that Clodius Albinus once was told that he was next in line. How did that work out?

My favorite Plautilla is Eastern but a bit different in the way the last ridge collects the others from the top of the head.
    rm6930bb0977.jpg

Spaniard, TJC, gogili1977 and 13 others like this.
  16. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'm quite, dare I say, smitten with that earlier bust, and @Roman Collector your coin's strike clarity is superb.

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Inspiring thread...
    In the past I have studied (and published) about Plautilla and collected all the different bust types and their combinations with the different reverses. Below is the result :

[​IMG]
    Plautilla overview
    A virtual tray showing obverses and reverses of all the silver coins minted for Plautilla that I could find.
    Including 14 types of denarii from Rome featuring all the known variations of hairdo and reverses, 3 types of denarii from Laodicaea, and as a bonus, a drachm from Caesarea

Q

18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Neat breakdown of hairdos! I'd really like one with an early bust and a marriage commemorative reverse.

Do provincials count?

Plautilla - Nicomedia Triton.jpg PLAUTILLA
    Rare. AE Assarion. 3.68g, 19.4mm. BITHYNIA, Nicomedia, circa AD 202-205. RG 253 (same obv. die); Lindgren & Kovacs 172 (same obv. die). O: ΦOY ΠΛAYTIΛΛA CEBA-CTH, draped bust right. R: NIKOMHΔEΩN - ΔIC NEΩKO/PΩN, Triton swimming left, holding horn and trident.

Spaniard, TJC, Theodosius and 8 others like this.
  19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Looks like Hill type Eii.

Here's a provincial from Nicaea from my collection:

Plautilla Nicaea.jpg
    It appears to have the earliest type of hairdo.

Whereas this one looks more like her mother-in-law, Julia Domna!

Plautilla Marcianopolis.jpg

Spaniard, TJC, Ajax and 7 others like this.
  20. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

RC, thats a neat collection!

~Doug
    49.jpg

Spaniard, TJC, gogili1977 and 7 others like this.
  21. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i'm wiff ya JA

Draft saved Draft deleted