The Similarity

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Endeavor, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

This was posted by someone on Instagram (credit in image). I saw it and thought it would be interesting to discuss on this forum. I also have a few questions about it...

1) Is this some sort of cost saving measure by the Mint?

2) Was this done intentionally to create interest somehow?

3) Do you think it is just a total coincidence and maybe the Mint didn't even notice?

Screenshot_2015-10-13-12-56-14-1.png

NSP, Lisa1980 and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I wondered the same thing when I bought some pucks a few days ago. How similar these two are is uncanny. I think everglades looks like a robot bird though

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

How many different birds appear on these 2 quarters? 4 :woot::woot::woot::woot:

Everglades Florida -
    Appearing on the Everglades quarter is an Anhinga with outstretched wings on a willow tree with a Roseate Spoonbill visible in the mid-ground.

Bombay Hook Delaware -
    Featured on the quarter’s reverse is a depiction of a Great Blue Heron and
    a Great Egret within their native environment of the refuge’s tidal salt marsh.

techwriter and Endeavor like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Endeavor likes this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Artistic laziness.

swamp yankee, ToughCOINS and Endeavor like this.
  7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Having lived in south Florida I can tell you those birds do look like robots (or statues) when they stand with their wings open. They dive into the water for fish so that's how they dry. It's actually natural behaviour although it doesn't look so.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The designer was not creative enough to use the same bird that the coin was designed to highlight in the first place. Creative would be an alligator coming out of the water to eat the Anhinga and a big ole fish in the mouth of the Egret.

Endeavor likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

makes sense.

Just use a template.

SuperDave likes this.
  10. Lisa1980

Lisa1980 Member

Someone took the path of least resistance lol. I am new to all of this, but from what I have read, it sounds like the mint looks down on collectors at times. Perhaps this is one of them?

swamp yankee and Endeavor like this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, one tidal marsh pretty much looks like the next. And they all have birds....

Mr. Flute likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

When you put out 110 different quarters and 50 different dollars in the space of 20 years, and only have half a dozen "artists" doing the work, you are bound to get repetition. Add in the un-inspired commemoratives and all the "special" issues, and you've got a whole steaming pile of something.

13. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

They are similar in theme, but completely different in design detail.

From looking at the two designs, they are no discernible shared design detail between the two.

Though, I do find each design exceedingly boring. The only part I like of the ATB series is the framing circle edge on the coins. It provides nice enclosure and edge for the design.

14. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

We have both the "Bombay Hook" birds in California.

They get around.

:)

15. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

If you've ever seen them in person (and in color), you will not confuse them.

The Great Egret and Great Blue Heron are basically living large on our lake full time, the Anhinga has been seen rarely (North Texas is just barely in it's Summer range). Technically the Great Egret is only a summer/migration visitor, but we firmly believe that they and the Grackles just move a few towns north/south (the Denton birds end up in Dallas/Fort Worth, the DFW birds go to Austin, etc.)

The Anhinga [Anhinga anhinga] is VERY black.

The Great Blue Heron [Ardea herodias] is quite a nice shade of light steelly blue into grey with a range of North & Central America and the Caribbean (up close the bill is scarey sharp and you know they are watching you with their incredibly sharp vision).

Finally, the Great Egret [also known as the Great White Heron, Ardea alba] is a brilliant white and found world-wide in the temperate regions. He's an ambush hunter, vs. the Snowy Egret (smaller and a stalker).

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

We don't have any spoonbills here in Charleston, but I've got the other three in the pond behind my house right now.

Endeavor likes this.
  17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I saw a Blue Heron in the I5 median this morning, just North of Kalama, WA

Endeavor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted