The sight unseen market

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So, when I bought coins from Coin World advertisements back long ago, I was "a fool"? :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Back in the day, my first eBay sale was a written description of a Draped Bust Quarter. No pics. It sold.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

So which is the nicest?

AC850647-F6C5-404B-A432-E47931ACFF8D.jpeg ECFA1B31-6DC0-4027-8B8F-0AA4608B588C.jpeg

97325D15-1CC6-4422-8EB2-427344B91C84.jpeg 83854058-FC10-48DF-A92D-D6F1E8A04B69.jpeg

BEEBB29F-E4BF-4BA5-B066-4A52831E852A.jpeg 0B40583A-4C28-49AF-9762-5D6647D16B0F.jpeg

As I said, I only spent a minute in a dealer’s inventory.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Michael Scarn likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As I stated earlier, I buy the coin not the slab. If I had to choose from these three coins I would choose the top one from your last set of photos. However, upon closer inspection of all three coins I would not be interested in purchasing any of these. They either have a weak strike or too many bag marks to suit my personal taste.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am 1 2 3 on this one, going only by contact and luster not eye appeal. It could be the way the coin presents itself, or the way you photo'd it, but number three looks to me like a slider and should technically be called AU.

9. TypeCoin971793

10. TypeCoin971793

Graded by dealers for dealers.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Thats well said CBD .

12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Almost coin purchase over the internet is sight unseen. Unless you’ve seen the coin itself, it’s sight unseen. I don’t buy photos. That’s why return privileges exist.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If you've seen a picture of it, it is not sight unseen.

And if you have a return privilege, it is absolutely not sight unseen. You see it, you don't like it, you return it.

"Sight unseen" is commonly misunderstood these days because it is less common, especially among collectors. Buying a coin sight unseen means: 1923 Peace NGC MS-64, and that's literally the only information you have.

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Really !! Then please explain the following to me -

upload_2019-7-22_8-27-42.png

I mean that is me you quoted and were talking about isn't it ?

:rolleyes:

15. GDJMSP

I suppose a lot of folks are simply unaware of it. But I'd estimate there is somewhere between 5 and 10 times as many coins bought and sold by dealers every day as there are being bought and sold by collectors - every day.

A large part of this buying and selling takes place on the electronic dealer market. And on the electronic market there are two separate markets - sight seen and sight unseen.

With the sight seen market, you pay the asking price, and for that you get a return privilege. When ya get the coin if ya don't like it - ya get your money back.

The sight unseen market has significantly lower prices, sometimes a lot lower. BUT - there is no return privilege ! You buy it you own it - end of story. That's why the prices are so much cheaper.

TypeCoin971793 and CircCam like this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I always thought only coins with a CAC sticker are presently viewed as buyable “sight unseen”. It appears none of the coins listed in this thread CAC’ed. CAC‘s entire purpose was to close the gap the OP is trying to bring attention to. It would be much more interesting to see three CAC’d coins with this same approach.

17. GDJMSP

18. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Always happy to explain something you don’t understand :)

You see, my first post was me venting that the OP was participating in baiting an argument.

67E82DF7-739A-4F85-A12E-40233D44C673.jpeg
    You chimed in and stated that some see it being as about stimulating the acquisition of knowledge.

564EC25E-5AAD-40E0-9DF9-D8FAF2591510.jpeg

To that I replied that the (OP’s) framing suggested otherwise, and that it was pushing a personal agenda. I also said I was happy to agree to disagree on what both of us thought the intent of the post was.

My comments about being constructive and personal agenda were directed at the OP. If you can recognize my first post as being directed at the OP, then it shouldn’t be hard to recognize that I was STILL talking about the OP when I talked about intent.

It seems your “pursuit” ends the moment someone points out you’ve made a mistake. Just like when I demonstrated that rounding can be manipulated, just like now, when I explained to you that I wasn’t talking about you when I mentioned personal agenda or being more constructive.

Of course NOW we are talking about your personal agenda, which which presently seems to be something other than pursuing knowledge... it wouldn’t hurt you to (recognize and) admit you’ve made a mistake.

19. Paul M.

"1922 Peace Dollar PCGS MS64" is "sight unseen," yes. It's how Teletrade used to work, and how some mail order sales still work. (Side note: Teletrade had a 5% return fee. Dealers might accept that, but I don't think that would fly with most collectors.)

Nonetheless, when buying on the internet, even with a photo, you're not buying the photo, you're buying the coin. We all know photos can be manipulated to hide things. I'm not talking about Photoshop. Lighting can be deceptive, for instance. Even good photos often don't give a full picture of what the coin is like in hand.

If I don't get to see what I'm buying, and the photos don't show me what the coin looks like in hand, I am buying sight unseen, period.

Yup, that's exactly why internet sales typically have a return privilege. Those that don't won't get my business.

CAC will buy any and all CAC coins sight unseen. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

20. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

No you aren't. Photos or lack of photos--regardless of their quality--have absolutely nothing to do with whether a purchase is sight seen or unseen. As long as you have a chance to look at the coin in person prior to buying it then it is sight seen. If you have a return privilege then you had a chance to see it in hand before finalizing the purchase. This is a sight seen purchase.

Sight unseen purchases are just exactly that...sight unseen. There is no way to see the coin in hand prior to to buy it. There is no return privilege once you agree to purchase it.

21. Paul M.

There was a return privilege on Teletrade. Does that mean it was a "sight seen" market? No. The return privilege exists precisely because it's a sight unseen market. You can buy sight unseen without a return privilege, but I would expect to pay a significant discount for that.

You are right that photos have nothing to do with it, but that's only because you're not buying a photo; you're buying a coin, and you don't get to see the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted