The seach continues for a Seated Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by olero, Sep 3, 2015.

1. olero

olero Active Member

Well guys my search continues for a decent Seated Dollar. This one may not be in pristine condition but, it is something I can afford. The surfaces look good, the stars are still stuck up, has full LIBERTY, the head still shows some detail, the rims look good and I don't see any rim bumps. But the obverse has a scratch but not real deep.

On the reverse the eagles’ wings aren’t worn down on the shoulders, the talons and the olive branch still has good detail. I think it would grade VF or XF maybe a little higher.

The main thing I like it is the surfaces aren’t all beat up.

I still can’t tell if it has been cleaned in the past or not. I imagine most have been cleaned in the past at one time or another.

Critique away I am listen.

Thanks,

Russ

Link:
    http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/russ1709/media/_12_zpsbsyhbj3d.jpg.html?sort=4&o=0

And:
    http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/russ1709/media/_12_zpsbsyhbj3d.jpg.html?sort=4&o=0

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

That is a great looking coin. I'd be proud to own one like that.

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Here's my $0.02.

Purists in the school of grading will warn you about these items:

OBV: scratches above her right shoulder, below her neck, scattered in the left and right fields, a hit on the "1" of the date, and above the "E" in "LIBERTY". Possible rim ding between 5 and 6 o'clock.

REV: scratch above eagle's head and multiple contact marks.

So, my humble novice opinion is that it would grade VF details when going strictly by ANA standards (and thus is a "problem" coin). TPG's would likely give it one or two grades above VF-30.

Edit: Don't let this depress you. I almost bought many a Seated Dollar because I was in a hurry... I wanted one so badly. Since they are so large, it is really tough to find one without significant contact marks. And those that don't have 'em are often priced far higher than they should be (IMHO). I don't know how much you're willing to spend, so that comes into play as well.

Be patient! You'll find a problem-free coin if you look long and hard enough.

olero and Daniel Jones like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

also, possibly cleaned

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's ok but it comes with a few problems. I've been looking for years for several coins. I'm still looking. Pass on this one and keep looking. It may take time but you'll find one you love, not just afford. A better coin waits for you-find it! :)

7. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

The problems are minimal i.e. light scuff marks on her chest, and a small scratch behind the shoulder. I would definitely buy it, but not for any more than $525.

olero likes this.
  8. olero

olero Active Member

Thanks for all your thoughts, they are well taken. I have been looking on the Heritage Auctions site at the most recent auctions and I can't believe the prices that they are getting for, tooled, filed rims, altered surface and heat damage seated dollars (all TPGed). And none are raw coins. Looks like most sell for more than Gray Sheet ask price except for the lower grades. The 17.5% Buyer Premium kills it for folks like me.

I use to go to Steve Ivy Auctions in Dallas and do mail bid on Bowers and Ruddy Auctions before they started this Buyers Premium crap. It seems to be all about greed any more. Even the Mint has gotten into the act with all of there so called collector stuff. It is aggravating what the investors have done to our hobby.

That's my rant and I'll shut up.

9. Daniel Jones

I sympathize with you. The prices of U.S. Dollars from 1794-1878 just got so darn expensive over the past 15+ years, because buyer demand for them is so high. I remember around 1995 when I could get Dr. bust Dollars in F12+ condition, problem free for about $450. I just wish I kept all my early U.S. type coins!

olero likes this.
  10. olero

olero Active Member

I am still on the fence with this one.
    Also I have to realize the buyer is only going to see $361.00 after the fees.

My budget can't handle buying one coin for over $1000.00.

11. olero

olero Active Member

12. Daniel Jones

olero likes this.
  13. Daniel Jones

By the way, you can tell the scratch/scuff mark is on the plastic based on how the lighting reflects off it.

14. olero

olero Active Member

If it doesn't go to high I might get a crack at it.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Which is why using the CDN as an absolute value reference when purchasing can, and often is, a mistake unless one is satisfied with the iffy or average depending, of course, on the type in question. As, perhaps, you know or have come to realize, there are a lot of blah Liberty Seated dollars out there while truly nice, original skinned examples, even on common dates and regardless of grade, are in the minority. For this reason alone it is usually best to take one's time in locating the "right" coin, and if need be, pay up to acquire it.

Your links are not loading for me, so I cannot comment directly on the coin itself; this is intended only as general advice.

16. olero

olero Active Member

The links work for me and every one else. Is any one else having problems with the links I posted?

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Stop buying and save you money. Then you can afford it but it takes times. Patience is the key.

18. Daniel Jones

I have no problems with your links.

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Just post the image code in the thread. Links won't load for me either.

20. olero

olero Active Member

21. olero

olero Active Member

The appealing thing for me on the two above is the surfaces aren't all beat up. And I like the toning on both.

I have found a couple of others that have been TPGed but they are three times the price. Admitted these are AUs. And they are nice.

1st coin face:
    http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/r...[user]=131711411&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

1st coin rev.:
    http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/r...[user]=131711411&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

2nd coin face:
    http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/r...[user]=131711411&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

2nd coin rev.:
    http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/r...[user]=131711411&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

Draft saved Draft deleted