The Scribonian Well

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

This Roman Republic Denarius caught my eye primarily due to the differing devices otherwise missing from my current collection. It was struck in 62 BC during the rise of the the First Triumvirate of Caesar, Pompey and Crassus. The moneyer, L Scribonius Libo (consul in 34 BC), celebrates his ancestors who apparently dedicated or restored the original well in either 204 BC or 149 BC.

The Scribonean 'Puteal' was a 'classical' well-head , round or square, placed on the well for safety. Since it was also believed lightning struck this particular spot, it's suspected that the tongs/hammer below the wreaths on the coin may be those of Vulcan, emblematic of him as a forger of lightning.

RR Denarius of L. Scribonius Libo, 62 BC, 3.08 grams
    Head of Bonus Eventus
    Scribonian Well, Hammer below
    Scribonia, 8a; Cr 416/1a

RR denarius Scribonius and well.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I never seen that before, cool reverse & coin in general. Bonus Eventus as the obverse head too, another thing you dont see.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This is one of my favorite coins in my collection. Very nice Mikey (stay away from the coins I want will ya?)
    L SCRIBONIUS LIBO.jpg

5. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

I like it!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. Mikey Zee

Love yours Bing!!!

Bing likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

neat coin!

i didn't know what a "pluteal" was, and found this thread (in french, had to use google translate)..

http://www.forumfw.com/t6827-denier-de-la-republique-scribonia

also show the other implements besides the hammer.

i was trying to figure out what was on the side of the pluteal, i guess thy are lyres!

ancientcoinguru and Mikey Zee like this.
  8. Bing

Full description:
    L SCRIBONIUS LIBO ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS SCRIBONIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: BON EVENT LIBO, diademed head of Bonus Eventus right
    REVERSE: PVTEAL above, SCRIBON below, well-head ornamented with garland and two lyres, hammer at base
    Rome 62 BC
    3.2g, 18mm
    Cr416/1a., Scribonia 8a

9. Mikey Zee

That seems as good a guess as mine:)

Perhaps Doug has the answer...or Bing?

Ah, Bing just posted again....lyres it is!!!!

ancientcoinguru and Ancientnoob like this.
  10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Excellent example Mikey, you to Bing. ;)

ancientcoinguru and Mikey Zee like this.
  11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Mikey and Bing, congrats on neat specimens of this interesting type

Here's mine with a reverse on the weak side unfortunately

[​IMG]
    L. Scribonius Libo, Denarius Rome mint, 62 BC
    BON EVENT LIBO, head of Bonus Eventus right
    PVTEAL SCRIBON, the puteal scribonianum, ornamented with garland between two lyres and hammer
    3.95 gr
    Ref : RCV # 367, RSC, Scribonia # 8a

Q

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

One of the good things we get out of a group like this is to see several examples of the common coins that are new to us. Of course we could research all this online and ignore each other but I like it this way better.

ra7000bb3172.jpg

It seems that these tend to be lower relief than many RR denarii. I do see some references call it a fountain rather than a well but the coin looks like the kind of structure meant to keep people from falling in rather than to made a basin. All of us have a hammer as a sign of Vulcan but there are variations with anvil or tongs. Why or why lyres - I do not know.

We also might keep an eye out for the similar coin with a veiled head of Concord in place of Boni Eventus. It was a shared issue and is catalogued under Aemelia. I don't have one but the obverse is a lot like this Aemelia 10 below.
    ra7030bb2949.jpg

13. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Another neat Roman Republic denarii. I swear Romans of this period made some of the most interesting coins in all of antiquity.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Nice, a few months ago i tried to buy one of those, but was outbid.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Another super coin Mikey!!:)

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

The last two ancient coins I bought were Roman Republic denarii, and if I'm honest I am saving money right now to buy one or two more Roman Republic denarii in January. I'm in love with the variety of interesting designs. Not that imperial coins aren't nice, because they are, and I still intend to complete a set of Flavian and Good Emperors...but the Republican era is appealing to me more at this time.

Carthago and Mikey Zee like this.
  17. Mikey Zee

Be careful, once you buy a few of them you just can't stop;)...LOL

There are so many with fascinating devices and intriguing history that I always feel like a kid at a candy store whenever I see them come up at auction:greedy:---fortunately, I get outbid here and there, otherwise I'd be eating peanut butter and jelly three times a day LOL

red_spork and Carthago like this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

CT Ancients is really looking a lot like a Republican party convention, these days...

J/K ;)... Nice coin, Mikey. I've had this Scribonian Well type on my want list for some time now. The problem I have with some of the more common issues I like is that I'm always procrastinating over actually getting one, thinking that there'll always be an example available for me. Oh well, one day!

Mikey Zee and Cucumbor like this.
  19. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice example of a late Republican coin. I bought one shortly after I started concentrating on RR coins. I bought a second this month, but it has not arrived in my mailbox. Normally I do not buy multiples, but this one is from an old Italian collection. I am hoping I can find more info on its provenance.
    SCRIBONIA 3367cnc.jpg
    There are three reverse types with the attributes of Vulcan: hammer, tongs and anvil below the well. A quick acsearch for the coin shows the hammer is by far the most common reverse and the anvil looks to be the lease common. One of each might make an interesting Vulcan collection to go with one like this:
    L.COT obv.JPG
    L.COT rev.JPG
    L. Aurelius Cotta
    AR Denarius serratus 105 BC
    Obv - Draped bust of Vulcan r., wearing cap bound with laurel wreath, tongs over shoulder; behind, Ú. All within wreath.
    Rev - Eagle on thunderbolt r.; in r. field, G and in exergue, L·COT.
    Cr. 314/1b.
    Sydenham 577a.
    Babelon Aurelia 21.

Or you could just add a Spock on a Canadian $5.
    Spock on five.jpg

20. Bing

Your Cotta is fantastic.

21. Mikey Zee

A Huge +1...I LOVE VULCANS!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted