The Roman Provincial Portrait Gallery Group Collaboration Thread

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I always enjoy the running threads where everyone collaborates and I thought I'd start this one.

Let's create a portrait gallery of provincial coins which lists everyone featured on provincials in chronological order, starting with Julius Caesar, Augustus, and Livia. Then we'll move on to a new family group (emperor and empress, children, etc) every couple of days, roughly in the order they are presented in Sear's Greek Imperial Coins, until we get to the end of the provincial period with Domitius Domitianus.

Inevitably there will be latecomers, omissions, or later purchases but that's okay-- just add them when you can if that ruler's time has already passed. Also, it's okay if you want to post a person that someone already posted. Go ahead and show it off! Feel free to include maps showing the location of your coin's city, statues of the ruler on the coin, or whatever else you think is appropriate or interesting.

I'll get the ball rolling with this one of Augustus and Livia from Colonia Romula, which is modern day Seville:

Augustus and Livia Hispalis.jpg
    Augustus, 27 BC - AD 14 and Livia, AD 14-29
    Roman provincial AE 31 mm, 21.48 g
    Spain, Hispalis, Colonia Romula, AD 14-29
    Obv: PERM DIVI AVG COL ROM, radiate head of Augustus right; thunderbolt before, star above
    Rev: IVLIA AVGVSTA GENETRIX ORBIS, head of Livia, left; globe beneath, crescent above
    Refs: RPC-73; SGI-189; Heiss 393, 2; Cohen 169, 3; Alvarez-Burgos 1587; Lindgren II 69; SNG Tubingen 118; SNG Copenhagen 423.13.35.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Neat idea. I can contribute another Spanish portrait of Augustus.

Augustus Calagurris 600.jpg AUGUSTUS
    AE28. 10.64g, 27.7mm. SPAIN, Calagurris. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. L. Baebius Priscus and C. Gran. Brocchus, duoviri. ACIP 3122a; RPC I 441b. O: MVCAL IVLIA AVGVSTVS, laureate head right. R: L BAEB PRISCO C GRAN BROC II VIR, Bull standing right, head facing.
    Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection (HSA 1001.1.20771)

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice idea. We'll see how it turns out. I'm not sure if these are actually what we call provincials or official minted in Hispania.
    Augustus 19.jpg
    AUGUSTUS
    Æ 31 Dupondius
    OBVERSE: PERMISSV CAESARIS AVGVSTI, bare head left
    REVERSE: COLONIA PATRICIA, aquila between legionary standards
    Colonia Patricia (Cordoba - spain) 15-14 BC
    18g, 31 mm
    RPC 128, SNG Cop 464
    Augustus 9.jpg
    AUGUSTUS (OCTAVIAN)
    AE Dupondius
    OBVERSE: CAESAR DIVI F, bare head of Octavian right
    REVERSE: DIVOS IVLIVS, wreathed head of Julius Caesar right
    Gallic or Italian mint 38 BC
    30mm; 17.90 g
    CR535/v1, RPC620v

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Love the idea - I won't have anything to post for a while, but wanted to get this comment in so I'll get updates on this thread.

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

jchdup865.JPG

OCTAVIAN & DIVUS JULIUS CAESAR AE heavy dupondius. Struck in GAUL, at Colonia Viennensis, circa 36 BC. IMP CAESAR (written above and below portraits) IMP DIVI F DIVI IVLI, (written counterclockwise along edge). Bare heads of Julius Caesar and Octavian back to back (Caesar on left). Reverse - Prow of galley with pyramidal superstructure right. RPC I 517. 29x17mm, 9.6g

10480996_703350213035226_8998503194079486291_n.jpg

Augustus AE 25 As, of leaded bronze, from Colonia Patricia (Corduba), Spain. 19/18-2 BC. PERM CAES AVG, laureate head left / COLONIA PATRICIA in two lines within wreath. SGI 16, RPC 129, Lindgren 87.

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

ag2651-0.JPG
    Augustus AE24 Colonia Julia Traducta, Spain. PERM CAES AVG, bare head left / IVLIA TRAD in two lines within wreath. SGI 18, RPC 99, Cohen 151. RPC 99
    Sear'88 #538

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You did not say that Agrippa was OK so I'll just post this Augustus half dupondius from Nemausus. As a bonus you get the west end of an eastbound crocodile.
    pb0046bb3017.jpg

9. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

You know I'm in. No JC anymore so here is Augustus.

SardeisAugustus.jpg
    Lydia, Sardes. Augustus AE20. Grammateus Diodoros Hermophilos
    Augustus, 27 BC - 14 AD bronze of Diodorus Hermophilou.
    Obv: SEBASTOU head of Augustus r.
    Rev: SARDIANWN - DIODWROS / ERMOFILOU Lydios Zeus standing, holding scepter in left, eagle on his outstretched right hand.

10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I got this coin not completely sure where it comes from probable Ephesus. AE 26mm, 11.3gm, RIC 486, circa 25 BC. 2015-01-07 01.07.44-8.jpeg

11. Ancient Aussie

I also have this Thracian Augustus, apologies I have not photographed it properly yet, but I think i'ts worth including for the unusual portraiture. 11 BC -12AD Augustus Thrace.jpg

12. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

Ancient Aussie I think your coin is from Antioch McAlee 190, described as a "pre-reform as". I believe the pre and post reform eras are distinguished (for the most part) by whether the head is bare or laureate, with the change taking place in 5 BC under imperial legate and bad general P. Quinctilius Varus. The one below is also from Antioch with a different reverse style and obverse legend.

Augustus Antioch.jpg

Bare head of Augustus right, AVGVST.TR.POT
    8 leaf laurel wreath enclosing circle; S C inside
    9.73 g 24mm
    McAlee 193 - he dates this to 5 BC or year 27 of Augustus' reign

13. Ancient Aussie

Nice Augustus, and thanks very much for the info on my coin.

Alegandron likes this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great idea for a thread !

[​IMG]
    Augustus and Rhoemetalkes, Bronze Semi autonomous coinage of Thracia, c11BC-12AD
    KAISAROS SEBASTOU, Bust of Augustus right
    BASILEWS ROIMHTALKOU, Busts of Rhoemetalkes and his wife right
    9.82 gr
    Ref : Sear #5396

Q

galba68, Spaniard, GregH and 18 others like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am going to TRY. Forgive me if I goof up on the concept of "Provincial" (I am a Republic Guy...)

AUGUSTUS:
    upload_2017-9-30_19-6-40.png
    RI Augustus 27BC-AD14 Æ20 5.5g 12h Apameia Phrygia Magistrate Attalos c 15BC Two corn-ears above maeander pattern RPC I, 3125 SCARCE

upload_2017-9-30_19-8-0.png
    RI Augustus oak crown Agrippa rostral crown L AE Dupondius 26mm 12.6g 10-14CE Nemausus chained Croc snake wreaths RIC I 158

LIVIA:
    upload_2017-9-30_19-9-22.png
    RI Alexandria Livia, w Augustus Diobol CE 1-2 Æ 23.5mm 7.46g. Rev. Athena holding Nike Sheild ex Dattari-Savio Pl. 3 60-this coin RPC pag. 692-5-this coin RARE

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Spaniard, Andres2, GregH and 15 others like this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

A decent guide, especially this early on, is if you have the coin covered with an RPC (Roman Provincial Coinage) number.

As this thread is about a Provincial portrait gallery, you could probably leave out the coins without a portrait :).

Mikey Zee, GerardV and Alegandron like this.
  17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Cool idea for a thread.

[​IMG]
    Caesar Augustus, 27 BC - AD 14
    Æ24, 8g, 12h; Antioch mint, 4/5 BC.
    Obv.: AΡXIEΡEI KAIΣAΡ ΣEB; Laureate head right.
    Rev.: AΡXIE / ΡATIKON / ANTIO/ XEIΣ / ZK within wreath of an archiereus.

[​IMG]
    Octavian, 27 BC - AD 14
    AE32, 16g, 6h; Colonia Celsa.
    Obv.: II VIR COL V I CELSA; bare head of Octavian right.
    Rev.: Bull right; L.POMPE.BVCCO above, L.CORNE.FRONT (moneyers)

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'll add another from Colonia Patricia
    Augustus Colonia Patricia.png

19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

IMG_4323.JPG
    GAUL, Nemausus. Augustus, with Agrippa. 27 BC-AD 14.
    Æ Dupondius, 26mm, 12.3g, 2h; Nemausus mint. Struck circa AD 10-14.
    Obv.: Heads of Agrippa left and Augustus right, back to back, that of Agrippa wearing combined rostral crown and laurel wreath, that of Augustus laureate
    Rev.: COL NEM; Crocodile right chained to palm-branch; wreath with long ties above.
    Reference: RPC I 525; RIC I 159.

20. Ancient Aussie

I wish I had of got that type instead of the one I posted, seems like more realistic portrait, although they all seem to have the "Roman Nose"....:D

Mikey Zee and Cucumbor like this.
  21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

As many Nemausus croc have already been posted, I will spare you another one and post an Arausio (Orange) galley instead with Octavian and Agrippa's portraits

[​IMG]
    Octavian & Agrippa, AE Dupondius Arausio mint (Orange), 30-29 BC (Colonia Firma Julia Secundanorum Arausio)
    IMP DIVI F (IMPerator DIVI Filii), bare heads of Augustus (right) and Agrippa (left), back to back
    Prow of galley right, ram's head (?) enclosed in a medaillion above
    17.61 gr - 28 mm.
    Ref : RPC # 533
    Ex. CNG e-auction #181/28, from the Patrick Villemur collection

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted