The Roman Minim

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, May 26, 2019.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

IMG_0895[3359]minim 2 obv.jpg Many of us have heard of, seen or may have one of those tiny coins known as minims, from minimus, very small or the smallest. They are somewhat of a mystery and I was wondering if someone well versed in (or just acquainted with) these coins could tell us more about them. Below are pictures of two along with a small ae of who I think is Constantius Gallus(?). The two minims in the picture seem to be of Fourth Century emperors so I don't think they are the same as the barbarous radiates of the late Third century. So, who made these minims, why were they made, where are they found (hoards, trash dumps, stray drops in the market place) and whatever could they have been useful for other than getting themselves lost waiting centuries for someone with a metal detector to uncover them? IMG_0893[3351]minims obv.jpg IMG_0894[3357]minims rev.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Regular Roman issues continued into the 5th century, during which time the size of the smallest denominations shrunk down to around 10mm. Pretty tiny, but still larger than some of the hemiobols of Greece.

Compounding the problem of these coins is that they were both:
    A) Crudely designed and executed on poor fabric; and
    B) Widely, and even more crudely, imitated.

Many of these imitations have been attributed to the Vandalic tribes of North Africa, but to my knowledge, no one has been able to explain how to tell a Vandalic imitation from an otherwise barbarous imitation from an official issue. I have several hundred examples of these coins sitting in a bowl on my desk that I can't make heads or tails of. Are they official? Which emperor is depicted? Beats me. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what to do with them.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You coin can not be Constantius Gallus. As Caesar, he was not entitled to wear a wreath on his head on coins. I see wreath ties. I can't read the photo letters or make out the reverse type. A better photo wold help.

Orielensis and kevin McGonigal like this.
  5. gsimonel

I think it's Constantius II, FEL TEMP REPARATIO, emperor on galley type.

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  6. kevin McGonigal

IMG_0896[3363]Ae 3 Constantius on galley.jpg
    You are right. It is not Constantius Gallus.
    That is correct. That was the attribution on the $5 coin at the flea market. On the reverse the "emperor on galley" is quite visible.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Marsyas Mike likes this.
  7. kevin McGonigal

Here is a better image. IMG_0901[3380]constantius II obv.jpg IMG_0902[3378]Constantius II rev.jpg

Bing likes this.
  8. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

This last coin looks official to me with all text readable. And a pretty nice one at that.

9. gsimonel

Actually, they are all probably official. The one at the bottom center is most likely Theodosius II, SALVS REPVBLICE, the other a GLORIA EXERCITVS, 2 soldiers with one standard between them. I can't tell who the emperor is, but judging by the spacing between the letters on the right side of the obverse, I'd guess Constans, as augustus.

Pellinore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted