The roman curule chair challenge

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

« Please take a seat » is a common expression and a polite way to ask someone to sit down. But in the Roman political world many centuries ago, it had a complete different meaning. So let’s try to understand together the importance of the curule chair for the highest government dignitaries in the ancient Rome and of course on coinage from this period of antiquity.

CURULE CHAIR : it probably derived its name from the chariot ( currus ) in which a magistrate was conveyed to a place of judgment; it served early as a seat of judgment. The most likely etymology of the word "sella curulis" is related to the layout of ancient cities that did not allow everyone to move freely by car in the streets; the magistrates had the right to do so in certain ceremonies; originally they probably enjoyed this prerogative without restriction. According to the Roman historian Livy, it was first used by the Etruscans around the 6th century BC. For the roman people, the sella curulis was the seat where high ranking dignitaries had the right to sit to exercise their duty. Subsequently it became a sign of office for all higher officials, including the consul, praetor, dictator, master of the horse, interrex, censor and, later, the emperor. What does it look like ? It was made like a campstool, with or without arms, with curved legs forming a wide X; it had no back. Ivory was the material most commonly used for all, although bronze was common and even gold was used in special cases. A heavy cushion (pulvinus )provided a confortable seat above the rectangular framework. 759A689E-058C-4F2C-B764-DAA299850336.jpeg
    According to wikipedia, the way the chair was used had a metaphorical meaning: « this chair was meant to be uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time, the double symbolism being that the official was expected to carry out his public function in an efficient and timely manner, and that his office, being an office of the republic, was temporary, not perennial ». I’m not sure if I believe in that theory, but it is quite interesting !
    Except for coins, depictions of curule chair are quite rare. This one is from a funerary marble relief in Rome :
    80C61233-33BD-4AED-943A-6025CB8541E9.jpeg

I also found another example on one of the Boscoreale silver cup found in 1895 :
    39A8B00B-FF3D-4AB5-8D2B-F7F30A352076.jpeg

Now let’s talk about the curule chair in Roman Imperial coinage. It is a very common type of iconography. I discovered that at least 40 different emperors are shown seated on it. Two ladies had also the privilege to put their bottom on the chair of the rich and famous : Livia as Pax ( Augustus RIC 220 ) and Julia Domna ( Caracalla RIC 214 ). Many gods and goddess are described as being seated on a curule chair : Constantia, Vesta, Roma, Concordia, Pudicitia, Securitas, Abundancia and Felicitas ( many more deities from provincial coinage can be found on the chair ). It sometimes happens that we see two curule chairs on the reverse of a coin; it is the case of a coin which evokes Titus and Vespasian after their disappearance; it was a question of evoking the memory of the absent ones. Moreover, this custom was also in use during the funeral, during which an effigy of the prince was placed on a seat. We also placed empty curule seats in the theaters, always to evoke certain missing characters (this was the case for Faustine, the wife of Antoninus Pius). On a coin dedicated to deified Vespasian, we see a thunderbolt placed on a curule chair : here again it is an evocation of the memory of the dead emperor.
    In general, we can say that curule seats are represented on Roman coins in three circumstances:
    1) the evocation of living persons who have benefited from this privilege
    2) the evocation of the gods and allegories automatically benefiting in the iconography of a privilege codified for ordinary humans
    3) the evocation of absent characters or dead emperors.

I only have 2 examples of this type in my collection. One is from Gordian III and the last one I’m not sure : for years there is a debate about identifying the character on this reverse ; Caligula or Augustus ?
    6307BC3D-6E37-45D4-B139-711D10D83C56.jpeg

44754304-6770-4F0A-91B7-C554DDEE26A8.jpeg

Now it’s time for the challenge : I will need your contribution and hope you’ll be willing to participate. Please show us your nicest curule chair !

eparch, jamesicus, Orfew and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks like I only have one type of coin with a curule chair-- two examples of one type of coin. Each has its flaws and good points so I'll post both :D. These coins are unusual in that they were restruck with special ring-shaped dies, stamping a new legend over the old coin while preserving the central devices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    LYDIA, Sardes (... or maybe not)
    Germanicus and Drusus
    Struck CE 23-26?
    restruck by Asinius Pollio, proconsul of Asia under Caligula, CE 37-38?
    Æ26, 13.78 gm
    Obv: ΔΡΟΥΣΟΣ ΚΑΙ ΓΕΡΜΑΝΙΚΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΕΣ ΝΕΟΙ ΘΕΟΙ ΦΙΛΑΔΕΛΦΟΙ; Germanicus and Drusus seated left on curule chairs, one holding lituus.
    Rev: ΓAIΩ AΣINNIΩ ΠΩΛΛIΩNI ANΘYΠATΩ; KOINOY/ AΣIAΣ within wreath
    Ref: RPC 2995, Sear 365

akeady, jamesicus, Orfew and 18 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I might have another, but this was the first one I could think of.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla AD 198-217.
    Roman AR Denarius 3.37 g, 19.7 mm.
    Rome mint, AD 211.
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head, right.
    Rev: INDVLG FECVNDAE, Julia Domna as Indulgentia, wearing polos, seated left on cerule chair, extending right hand and holding scepter.
    Refs: RIC 214; BMCRE 73; RCV 6805.

akeady, Orfew, Johnnie Black and 15 others like this.
  5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Heres a double:

00015x0.jpg

Philip II, 247 – 249 AD
    Æ Sestertius, Rome Mint, 17.43 grams

Obverse: IMP CAES M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Philip.
    Reverse: LIBERTALITAS AVGG II S C, Philip I and II seated side by side on curule chairs extending right hands.

References:
    RIC267a

Provenance:
    Tom Cederlind, early 1990’s.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Publius Furius Crassipes (84 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: AED CVR, turretted head of Cybele right. Long oval gouge and tool mark across Cybele's head (al marco weight adjustments).
    R: Curule chair inscribed P FOVRIUS, CRASSIPES in exergue.
    Rome Mint
    3.9g
    20.5mm
    RCV 275

Publius Furius strikes here not as moneyer, but as a special issue in his role as Curule Aedile, hence the curule chair bearing his name.

jamesicus, Orfew, zumbly and 15 others like this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great write up and coins!
    LOVING these challenges! Nothing like a pile on thread to inspire appreciation for what I have... And to find future prey for the hunt!
    4D63A41D-33DC-42E9-901D-8D78E130AB32.png

L. FURIUS CN.F. BROCCHUS
    Denarius (63 BCE). Rome. Obv: III - VIR / BROCCHI. Head of Ceres right, wearing grain wreath; grain ear to left, single grain to right.
    Rev: L FVRI / CN F.
    Curule chair between fasces. Crawford 414/1.
    Weight: 3.97 g.
    Diameter: 18 mm.

8EB66A56-2829-4A5F-AB30-60D2CB70CA05.png

M. Porcius Cato
    Quinarius (89 BCE). Rome. Obv: M CATO.
    Head of Liber right, wearing ivy-wreath; control (if any) below not visible.
    Rev: VICTRIX.
    Victory seated right, holding patera and palm branch. Crawford 343/2b (2a for type without control).
    Weight: 1.38 g.

7A591E72-0FEF-4BF4-833F-F8C402922D63.png

Germanicus and Drusus

LYDIA, Sardes (... or maybe not), Struck CE 23-26?
    restruck by Asinius Pollio, proconsul of Asia under Caligula, CE 37-38? Æ26, 13.78 gm
    Obv: ΔPOYΣOΣ KAI ΓEPMANIKOΣNEIOI ΘEOI ΦIΛAΔEΛΦOI; Germanicus and Drusus seated left on curule chairs, one holding lituus.
    Rev: ΓAIΩ AΣINNIΩΠΩΛΛIΩNI ANΘYΠATΩ; KOINOY/ AΣIAΣ within wreath
    Ref: RPC 2995, Sear 365
    A1DE4BE1-3DB4-4C9D-BFD3-575A1AFC75D9.png

Domitian
    81-96 CE. Denarius, 3.44g. (h). Rome, 81 AD. Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M Head laureate right. Rx: TR P COS VII - DES VIII P P Wreath on curulechair, the legs of which terminate in lions' paws. RIC 48 (C ). BM 18. Paris 17. Cohen 570 (2 Fr.). Not a common coin: just five specimens in RekaDevnia hoard. Good VF

jamesicus, Orfew, zumbly and 11 others like this.
  8. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I notice some similarities to the design at hand and the obverse of the US Trade Dollar. Perhaps the designer of the Trade Dollar gained some inspiration from this type?

9. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Could you post a picture of it ? I’m not from US so I don’t know the design.

10. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

Titus
    AR-Denar
    Obv.: T CAESAR IMP VESP, Head laureate right
    Rev.: PONTIF TR P COS III Titus seated right on curule chair, holding scepter and branch
    Ag, 3.02g, 17.96mm
    Ref.: RIC² 692 Titus_Curule.jpg

akeady, jamesicus, Orfew and 13 others like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Perhaps, in the general way so many modern coins depict a seated deity, with the deity resembling an ancient Greek or Roman deity.

On US Trade dollars, Liberty is seated on a bale of merchandise, facing left (representing facing Asia), and holding an olive branch. A closer resemblance of the trade dollar's reverse would be Pax seated and holding an olive branch, or Libertas seated.

12. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

25295206-A736-4AD8-8017-67C910E40B28.jpeg

Vespasian, denarius
    RIC II 702, RSC 364.
    Rome mint, 74 AD.
    Obv. IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right.
    Rev. PON MAX TR P COS V, Vespasian seated right, branch in left hand, scepter in right.

jamesicus, Orfew, zumbly and 12 others like this.
  13. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Here's the budget version of that coin...but for his son Titus.

3KD049.jpg

jamesicus, Orfew, zumbly and 11 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Republic Curule

[​IMG]
    RR P Furius Crassipes 84 BC AR Denarius 19mm 3.84g Rome Turreted head Cybele right foot upward Curule chair Cr 356-1a Syd 735 Furia 20

jamesicus, zumbly, cmezner and 11 others like this.
  15. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hadrian Orichalcum Sestertius, Roma 118 AD Hadrian and Liberalitas
    Reference.
    RIC 552; Strack 516; Hunter II 324, BMCRE III 1137, Cohen II 914, SRCV II 3606 var. (band over shoulder, S - C at sides); Banti 488

Obv. IMP CAESAR TRAIANVS HADRIANVS AVG
    Laureate bust right, drapery on left shoulder, seen from front

Rev. PONT MAX TR POT COS II / S C LIBERALITAS AVG
    Hadrian seated left on raised platform, before him sits an attendant distributing coins to a togate citizen climbing steps of platform, Liberalitas standing left on far side of attendant, holding coin counter, LIBERALITAS AVG / S C (senatus consulto) in exergue

25.81 gr
    35 mm
    6h

1183Hadrian RIC552.jpg

jamesicus, Orfew, zumbly and 12 others like this.
  16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

P. FURIUS CRASSIPES.jpg
    P. FURIUS CRASSIPES ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS FURIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Turreted head of Cybele (Tyche) right, behind, foot pointing upwards, AED.CVR behind head
    REVERSE: Curule chair inscribed P FOVRIVS; CRASSIPES in exergue
    Rome 84 BC
    3.88g. 19Mm
    Cr 356/1c; Syd 735b
    L Furius CNF Brocchus.jpg
    L FURIUS CN F BROCCHUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS FURIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Bust of Ceres right between wheat-ear and barley-corn; III VIR across field, BROCCHI below
    REVERSE: Curule chair between fasces; L. FVRI/CN. F above
    Rome 63 BC
    3.9g, 20mm
    Cr414/1; Furia 23

akeady, jamesicus, Orfew and 13 others like this.
  17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think this Colorful Caracalla has a weak curule on the reverse 2E6354A0-C065-47D5-A849-3B7AD862F3B4.jpeg 81BD75EE-B8D4-46BD-B3A5-DEB4297A8862.jpeg

jamesicus, Orfew, Okidoki and 8 others like this.
  18. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 109, 42-43AD (38mm, 28.0gm)

Obverse depiction: Nero Claudius Drusus, bare head facing left
    Reverse depiction: Claudius seated left on curule chair holding olive branch,
    weapons and armor beneath
    Inscription: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG PM TRP IMP PP - S C (exergue)
    Nero Claudius Drusus was the father of Claudius

Orfew, Nathan401, zumbly and 10 others like this.
  19. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Here is my contribution to coins with curule chairs. I bought this coin at auction in a slab & it looked awful with so many scratches on the plastic. So I gave it fresh air :D. Both Valerian & Gallienus are seated on curule chairs. The denomination of the coin is a Hexassarion.

IMG_8214 (3).JPG
    IMG_8206.JPG

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    jamesicus, Orfew, Volodya and 12 others like this.
  20. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Here is a double curule chair denarius of Titus with wreath, and also a denarius of his father.
    Also included is a Nero sestertius.

3grARQi47zmCDZe6t9TiPy8RJHp52E.jpg Lei4c2gGXsW7b36H8FpdLg9Bo5Jk6p.jpg 75001005.jpg

21. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Cr494s28SR487n9405.jpg
    The late Republic has quite a few unoccupied curule chairs like this one:

L. Livineius Regulus. 42 BC.
    curule chair, three fasces either side.
    Crawford 494/28. Sear I 487.

akeady, jamesicus, Orfew and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted