Featured The roman CIPPUS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

In another thread, @Limes gave me a good suggestion :"If you still have more time, how about writing a background story on each coin?" So with more time lately for my favorite hobby, I revisited some old friends. I found a similarity between a provincial coin of Caracalla from Alexandria Troas and an Imperial one from Antoninus Pius struck in Rome. At first look, it seems they don't have nothing in common. Can you find the "likeness" between the two specimen ???

7C17D326-DA47-48E5-B25D-241D5762BEF4.jpeg

AFE08D2F-6B94-4922-8B1B-6CD653873CC8.jpeg

They are both featuring the same ichonographic detail: a Cippus. But what is it exactly ?
    It is a low column of stone, sometimes round but often of rectangular shape, and used as a mark of division of land, for indicating the distance of places or as a sepulchral monument. On many Cippi are found the letters TTL meaning "Sit tibi terra levis" (May the earth rest lightly on you) which is a latin funerary inscription. On my first coin Appolo is putting his right foot on a Cippus. What was the meaning of this gesture? The American archaeologist and numismatist Alfred Bellinger wrote that when the emperor visited the city of Alexandria in 214 AD, he renamed the place COLONIA ALEXANDREIA AVGVSTA ( COL A-LEXAND AVG on my example). So putting is foot on a landmark could symbolize he was extending his power over the region. Interesting facts: many of these Cippi have been exhumed during archeological excavations in Alexandria Troas (Turkey).

ED07975D-A48E-4F95-9E12-0F39B958B3F4.jpeg

On the reverse of my second coin, Annona is placing hand on a Cippus, but some describe it as an altar...The reason of the confusion is maybe that sometimes Cippi are constructed in two parts, the base being a rectangular block which is supporting a pillar that may represent a candelabrum . Here is an example from Musée le Louvres, Paris.

[​IMG]

Another example of a " 2 pieces" Cippus. I don't tell you what the upper part is (but if you absolutely want to know please ask @Jochen1) From British Museum

[​IMG]

And finally a superb example of a Roman Cippus from the Ist Century AD. It's exposed in the British Museum, is 16 inches of height and 13 inches wide. The description says : Marble sepulchral cippus in form of altar with cover (which may not belong); on the front is a draped elderly man reclining on a couch; before the couch is a three-legged table with food; a draped youth stands at the foot; cover worked in lunette form; wreath in relief.

[​IMG]

So now it's time to show off your coins ; please present us your CIPPUS !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Dunno, got this one....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Philip I
    Coin: Silver Ant
    IMP PHILIPPVS AVG - Radiate, draped bust right
    SAECVLARES AVGG - Cippus inscribed COS III
    Mint: Rome (248-249 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 1.68g / 22mm / -
    References:
    • RIC 24c

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great write-up, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! Very informative and entertaining.

I only have a few coins with cippi. There's this one. It's scarce but, alas, damaged.

Otacilia Severa SAECVLARES AVGG S C as.jpg
    Otacilia Severa, AD 244-249.
    Roman Æ as, 7.18 g, 23.7 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 244-246.
    Obv: MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: SAECVLARES AVGG S C, Cippus.
    Refs: RIC 202b; Cohen 69; RCV 2644.

Shame about the corrosion on her face ...

And this reverse type features a shield set on a cippus. Here are a couple of different ones.

Aelia Flaccilla:

[​IMG]
    Aelia Flaccilla, AD 379-386.
    Roman AE Maiorina (AE 2), 4.78 gm, 21.55 mm, 6 h.
    Antioch, AD 383-386.
    Obv: AEL FLACCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Victory seated r., inscribing chi-rho onto shield set on cippus. T in field r, ANTЄ in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 61.3; Sear 20616; Cohen 4; c.f. LRBC II 2747.

Eudoxia:

[​IMG]
    Eudoxia, AD 395-404.
    Roman Æ 4 reduced centenionalis, 1.41 g, 12.9 mm.
    Antioch, AD 402-404.
    Obv: AEL EVDOXIA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Victory seated r., inscribing Christogram on shield set on cippus. ANTΓ in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 104; LRBC II 2800; RCV 20895.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Augustus 1.jpg
    AUGUSTUS
    AR Quinarius
    OBVERSE: IMP VII CAESAR - Bare head right
    REVERSE: ASIA RECEPTA - Victory standing left on cippus, holding wreath and palm, snake on either side
    Uncertain Italian Mint 29-27 BC
    1.7g, 13mm
    RIC 276, S 1568
    L. Mussidius Longus.png
    L. MUSSIDIUS LONGUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: CONCORDIA, diademed and veiled bust of Concordia right, crescent below chin
    REVERSE: Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOACIN and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above
    Rome 42BC
    3.5g, 19mm
    Crawford 494/42C; CRI 188; Sydenham 1093b; Kestner 3753-4; BMCRR Rome 4242-3, Mussidia 6a

6. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

And a great write up it is, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix! Thank you for the read, i enjoyed it. I do not have a coin to share though, with a cippus.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BCE

AR denarius, Rome mint.
    Obv: Radiate and draped bust of Sol facing
    Rev: Shrine of Venus Cloacina - Goddess of the Sewers: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOAC and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above.
    Ref: Crawford 494/43b; CRI 189a; Sydenham 1094a; Kestner 3758-9 var. (CLOACIN); BMCRR Rome 4252-4; Mussidia 7a.

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Another great story by @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

[​IMG]
    OTACILIA SEVERA sestertius RIC 202a Rome mint, AD 248
    MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG, Diademed and draped bust of Otacilia right
    SAECVLARES AVGG, Cippus, SC in field
    22.44 gr
    Ref : RIC # 202a, Cohen #68, RCV # 9171

[​IMG]
    Constantine The Great, AE3 - Ticinium mint, 3rd officina
    IMP CONSTAN - TINVS MAX AVG, Draped, cuirassed bust of Constantinus right, wearing laureate helmet
    VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP, Two victories, holding shield on wich is written VOT/PR, resting on cippus. TT at exergue
    3.2 gr
    Ref : RC #3883 var

Q

9. Roma

Roma Active Member

10. Claudius 11

Claudius 11 Active Member

Forerunner of today's mile stone ???

Draft saved Draft deleted