The Rise and Fall of the Kushans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SeptimusT, Dec 20, 2020.

1. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

One of the things that fascinates me about collecting ancient coins is that we are able to observe changes that occurred over long periods of time. These can be cultural, reflected by iconography or language, as well as material, reflected by material, manufacturing techniques, and quality.

I’ve seen some fascinating charts showing the debasement of the denarius over time, but this is rarer for other cultures. It's not quite on @Deacon Ray level, but I decided to take a crack at doing something similar with the bronze coinage of the Kushan Empire. These are all coins from my collection, so they may not be the best examples in existence (sorry Kanishka II). I tried to use the most commonly circulating denomination, usually called a tetradrachm, although its size and value changed due to various reforms. At the end of the chart, I tried to show the ‘echoes’ of the Kushan Empire as reflected in various imitative issues. Not all Kushan emperors are represented, since some didn’t strike bronze coinage, and others can’t be accurately attributed.

One could take this even further by including things like Kashmiri coins, the coins of the Kota Kula, or the Kushanshahs, so feel free to share anything relevant!

For best viewing, click to enlarge and zoom
    draftfinal.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great chart @SeptimusT and nice collection of Kushans. There is a lot of interest to be had by studying these neat coins.

Here is my only Kushan but one I enjoyed researching. It seemed to me that a lot of the time the coins themselves were the primary historical sources for events and rulers which is neat.

The Great Savior Needs No Name… He Still Has One Though

5F9FC433-1092-4FE3-9F56-B6F60C4208AE.jpeg
    8AF772E7-925F-4A3C-B6B2-D175B6156C44.jpeg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is a super chart of some great coins, @SeptimusT ! That is a great illustration.

this is my only representative...

[​IMG]
    INDIA
    Kushan Empire
    Vima Takto-Soter Megas
    Æ Tet 21mm 8.5g
    CE 80-100
    scepter
    tamgha on horse r holding axe tamgha
    Senior B17.1vT

5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Yes, the Kushans are an important but neglected culture in the history of India and Central Asia. Here's my coin of Kujula Kadphises:
    Kujula Kadphises.jpg
    And one of Kanishka I featuring the goddess Nanaia:
    Kanishka Nanaia.jpg
    Their influence can indeed be seen in later Kashmiri coins, like this one I recently posted of Toramana II and his freakish giant claw-hand:
    Kashmir.jpg
    Some coins of the Kushanshahs do resemble Kushan coins, though this one has a very Sasanian-style obverse and a reverse not particularly like either Kushan or Sasanian precursors:
    Kushano-Sasanian.jpg

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here are a fewof mine.....
    1/2 Kanishka I
    3/ Vima Kadphises
    4. Vasu Deva II
    5. Kidara (Hunnic King) imitating AV Dinara of Vahram (Sasanian-Kushano) coin
    6/7 Sasanian-Kushano Empire AV Dinara Peroz I 539ea2538bb1d68c4b9b84a5ba02e738.jpg 1fb461a100d9bdea6c834f9b113eb525.jpg 122e1ef80de73e8d5e90f3f9f887a62c.jpg 18969.1.3_1.jpg 4560275.jpg IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

What a great bunch of coins and a fantastic visual overview!

The Kushans emerged from the Yuezhi who migrated away from China. This coin is from the pre-Kushan Yuezhi era, soon after that migration:
    Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.03.23 PM.jpg

At the other end of your chain, here are some other Kushan-influenced coins. First the Yaudheyas, who briefly filled the power vacuum in north west India after the Kushan exit in the third century:
    Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.04.40 PM.jpg

And a very base gold stater of the Karkota dynasty in Kashmir and the Punjab (7th century), with a design derived from Kushan coinage:
    Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.09.29 PM.jpg

8. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I thought I would share this article, which may be of interest. I have found it very useful over the years. Joe Cribb, formerly Keeper of Coins at the British Museum, examines the interrelationship of Late Kushan bronzes minted in the Punjab and contemporary Kushano-Sasanian bronzes of Gandharan type, demonstrating that the two formed a single currency zone. When found together in hoards, coins of like module are hoarded together with the module steadily declining throughout the period. The author then uses this parallel decline to refine the chronology of the period. The link below is only the text but I imagine the figures (plates) can be found online with a little diligence.
    https://www.academia.edu/33859244/G..._Coppers_in_Coin_Hoards_vol_VI_1981_pp_93_108
    Cribb, Joe (1981), 'Gandharan Hoards of Kushano-Sasanian and Late Kushan Coppers' in Coin Hoards VI, Royal Numismatic Society, London, pp. 93-108, figs. 8-11.

There is also a follow-up by the same author in Coin Hoards VII.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Orielensis likes this.
  9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful poster and collection, @SeptimusT ! Kushan bronze coins are, at least in my eyes, often underappreciated and make for a great collecting field.

Orient, Antike – Kushan – Kujula Kadphises (neu).png
    Kushan Empire, Kujula Kadphises, tetradrachm: local imitation, ca. 40–60 AD, minted in the Western Provinces? Obv: blundered Greek legend, draped bust (Hermaios imitation) right. Rev: Kharoshthi legend, Heracles standing with club and lion skin. 22mm, 8.29 g. Ref.: Mitchiner 1978, no. 2897–2903.

Orient, Antike – Kushan – Vima Takto.png
    Kushan Empire, Vima Takto, AE didrachm (?), ca. 80–95 AD, Taxila mint? Obv: Radiate (nine rays) and diademed bust r., holding sceptre; to l., tamgha. Rev: BACIΛЄωN Cω[THP MЄΓA]C; crowned and diademed king on horseback r., raising r. hand and holding reins in l. 20mm, 8.06g. Ref: Mitchiner 2941–2943.

Orient, Antike – Kushan – Vima Kadphises (neues Foto).png
    Kushan Empire, Vima Kadphises, AE tetradrachm, ca. 90–100 AD. Obv: BACIΛE[ΥC BACIΛEωN] CWTHP MEΓAC OOHM KAΔΦICHC, Kadphises, standing facing, head l., sacrificing over altar to l, and holding hand on hilt; to l., trident; to r., tamgha and club. Rev: Kharoshthi legend; Siva standing facing, holding trident; behind, the bull Nandi standing r.; Buddhist triratana ("Three Jewels") to l. 28mm, 16.8 g. Ref.: Göbl 762. Ex AMCC 1, lot 307.

Orient, Antike – Kushan – Kanischka I, AE tet, Athsho.png
    Kushan Empire, Kanishka, AE tetradrachm, ca. 130–153 AD, Taxila or Pushkalavati mint. Obv: þAO KA[Nη]þKI (“King Kanishka”); crowned, diademed king standing facing, head l., holding spear and sacrificing at altar at l. Rev: AΘþO; God of metals Athsho standing facing, head l., one hand on hip, the other holding out diadem; in field l., tamgha. 26mm, 17,07. Rev: Mitchiner 3082–3084.

Orient, Antike – Kushan – Kanischka I, AE tet, Oesho.png
    Kushan Empire, Kanishka, AE tetradrachm, ca. 130–153 AD, Taxila or Pushkalavati mint. Obv: þAO KA[NηþKI] (“King Kanishka”); crowned, diademed king standing facing, head l., holding spear and sacrificing at altar at l. Rev: OOηþO; four-armed Oesho (Shiva?) standing facing, head l., nimbate, holding various attributes; in field l., tamgha. 24mm, 16,86g. Rev: Mitchiner 3098–3105.

Orient, Antike – Kushan – Kanischka I, AE tet, Vado.png
    Kushan Empire, Kanishka, AE tetradrachm, ca. 130–153 AD, Taxila or Pushkalavati mint. Obv: [þAO KA]NηþKI (“King Kanishka”); crowned, diademed king standing facing, head l., holding spear and sacrificing at altar at l. Rev: OAΔO; God of wind Vado running l., holding up cloak blowing in the wind; in field l., tamgha. 25mm, 17.17g. Rev: Mitchiner 3115–3119.

Orient, Antike – Kushan – Huvishka, Elefantenreiter und Oesho.png
    Huvishka, Kushan Empire, AE tetradrachm, c. 155-189 CE. Obv: þAONANOþ OOηþKE KOþANO (partially struck), King riding elephant r., holding elephant goad. Re: OηþO; Oesho (Siva?) standing facing, holding trident and deerskin. 26mm, 9.97g. Ref: Göbl 855; Mitchiner 3291-3301.

Draft saved Draft deleted