The results of trying federal reserve nickels.....

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by The Half Dime, Apr 22, 2024.

1. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

This was a shocker, honestly. I believe I went through roughly $76 in nickels today, and here's a rundown of the coins I found (no photos for now because my computer takes really blurry photos).

First of all was a TRUCK-load of early Jeffersons, mainly 1952, 1953, and 1954 with predominantly S mintmarks but P's and D's were present as well. I also found other 50's nickels and some from the 40's as well. During all of this, I found a 1962 nickel (no mint mark), and after examining it for about 3 seconds, I realized that it was a Philadelphia proof. In circulation. After that, I managed to find a 1994-D prooflike nickel, a 1970-S proof, 2 war nickels dated 1943-P and 1945-D, and a 1970-S nickel that, if it didn't have several small, but visible, marks above Monticello, would be a coin that could easily grade MS67-68. I also got $5 in FR pennies and found 6 wheat cents.

How often do you find war nickels or Philadelphia proofs in circulation?

-jeffB, Kevin Mader and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

"How often...?" I can't get FR nickels from my bank anymore. When I could get FR coins I found some nice stuff.

4. JoshuaP

JoshuaP Well-Known Member

I find an average of one war nickel per $100 and a buffalo nickel every other box. I would hazard that every 5th box yields a V nickel.

5. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

The nickels in question were set free from an inherited collection
    by a non-collector or stolen from a collection to buy candy or
    cigarettes. In the late 70's and early 80's when I was CRH, I
    would find 70-100 War Nickels every month.

NOS likes this.
  6. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Really? That sounds weird that you can't get FR nickels from your bank anymore. I'm hoping that I'll be able to for a long time, as getting war nickels at face is definitely better than paying at least 75 cents for one.

Are the buffalo nickels usually good quality? I've heard that most that are still circulating are badly worn.

It seems like with this collection, someone had a massive hoard of those 1952-54 nickels, and it appears that it may have been the birth years of someone like their grandparents. The war nickels were likely found in circulation, and probably nobody knew that the 1962 and the 1970-S were proofs. It's funny, though, how the proofs from those 2 years were seeing circulation strikes minted at the same place.

But 70-100 war nickels a month? I would love to find that many!

7. tibor

@The Half Dime At the time I was going through 200 +rolls a week. Built a few roll sets 38-64. Never found a 50-D.

Inspector43 and Kevin Mader like this.
  8. JoshuaP

It all depends. I find them in all conditions. I have found a 1937 d in AU (my highest grade found in circulation), all the way down to no date. Probably the average grade is VG/F.

9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Similar results when I CRHed. When so many impaired proofs are present in a single lot, you can expect it was a collection dump. It happens, especially amongst nickels. My best CRH events were with nickels.

Tibor - I’m a bit perplexed that you didn’t get a 50 D. Seems your volume should have granted you at least 1. That said, we all have a nemesis coin. That could be yours.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

What makes you think these are from the Federal Reserve versus Brinks/Loomis/Garda?

11. tibor

@Kevin Mader At the same time I was CRH Lincoln cents. Tons of
    Wheaties, the occasional error, clips and off centers, and my favorites,
    S mint cents. Also saved 60-D small dates. NEVER found a 60-P small date.
    Had a friend who lived in Redwood City near San Fran. Sent me thousands
    of S mints and wheaties that he and his brother CRH.
    Sorry about the Hijacking.

12. JoshuaP

I would say the same. I have filled two nickel books with every date except the 1950 D. After two books, I just threw early nickels into a jar rather than filling a third one. I wouldn't doubt that I have looked through over $5,000 in nickels.

Kevin Mader and Inspector43 like this.
  13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I was an active collector in from 48 on. In the 50's we had a hard time finding the 50 D.

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Let us pray

15. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Suppose this thread isn't too old to reply to... it's still on the first page, if just barely.

Just talking nickels here...

Philadelphia proofs? Not found one yet. But proofs in general? Found a 1986-S roll hunting, and recently found a 1973-S in circulation.

War nickels? Have so far found 4 after searching 8 boxes worth.

Buffalo nickels? Have found 4, not an expert in grading but all at least had a visible date, a 1925 just barely.

V nickels? Not found one yet. Same for shield nickels.

Canadian I've found 4 roll hunting, not nearly as common as Canadian pennies for some reason, even though the latter haven't been minted since 2012.

Foreign other than Canadian? Not found any yet among nickel rolls.

Got me wanting to do another box; going to go through one this weekend.

Kevin Mader and tibor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted